I'll Never Love Again
society

Billionaire couple found dead

Featured Posts

PunkTheFunk

This actually happened a few days ago (20 min from where I live :cryga:) but I've been so intrigued by the case I thought I'd share.

E7R2P2YCHBGNHBJGJW5ZOKTWZY.JPG

Barry Sherman, a Canadian billionaire, generic-drug mogul and philanthropist, once promised that the autobiography he was writing would be a page-turner, packed with stories of intrigue, duplicity and outright corruption by his competition.

The last chapter was without doubt the most sensational — and he did not get to write it. It occurred last Friday, when his body was rolled out of his Toronto mansion by the police, together with that of his wife, Honey.

On Sunday night, Toronto police announced that its homicide team was leading the investigation, and that “the cause of death for both deceased was ligature neck compression.”

The couple’s real estate agent found their bodies hanging by their indoor pool, according to a person close to the family and local news reports. The police said there were no signs of forced entry and no suspects-at-large the public should be concerned about.

The couple was known for two contradictory things: making a fortune in the tough, litigious business of generic drugs, and giving a lot of it away to charity.

Early local news reports said the police were considering the deaths a murder-suicide, which friends said amounted to character assassination.

“There is absolutely zero debate in my mind, this was a double homicide,” said Linda Frum, a senator in the Canadian Parliament and a close, longtime friend of the couple.

She added: “This idea that Barry would ever harm Honey — he adored her. That’s impossible. He was a gentle, good man.”

The couple’s four children issued a statement slamming the police for leaking the murder-suicide theory and urging them to “conduct a thorough, intensive criminal investigation.”

Fred Waks, a real estate developer and close friend of the Shermans, said: “Barry was involved in big pharmacy on a worldwide basis. His lawsuits pertained to billions of dollars, back and forth. When you are dealing with the size of that industry and the amounts we are talking about, you make enemies.”

He added, “And you make enemies on a global basis.”

Last month, Canadian Business Magazine listed Mr. Sherman, whose name was Bernard but who was known as Barry, as the country’s 15th-richest person, with a personal net worth of 4.77 billion Canadian dollars.

Friends described Mrs. Sherman, 70, as bubbly and vivacious. Born in a displaced persons camp to two Holocaust victims, she was passionate about Holocaust education and spent much of her time volunteering, sitting on numerous boards, including a university and a hospital.

barry_honey_sherman.jpg.size-custom-crop.1086x0.jpg

Though fabulously wealthy, the couple didn’t live like billionaires. They flew economy. Mr. Sherman drove a beat-up old car. And although they owned a grand house with a tennis court and two pools, it was modest compared with many even on their tree-lined, country-style street in the city’s north end.

The one way they showed their wealth was philanthropy.

The couple gave hundreds of millions of dollars to hospitals, universities, political parties and charities. They were fixtures of Toronto’s fund-raising event circuit. Mrs. Sherman in particular was known as someone who didn’t like to say no to a call for help.

The couple showed all the signs of an expanding, invested life. They were building a new home, helping plan their daughter’s wedding and celebrating the arrival of a third grandchild.

They had booked a long vacation north of Miami Beach, Fla., where they owned a condominium and visited regularly. Mrs. Sherman, who was set to leave on Monday, sent out email to friends last Monday asking for dates to golf and dinner for the couple while they were there.

It was signed off: “Looking forward to hearing back asap. xoxo Honey.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/17/world/canada/barry-sherman-death.html

• Like 1
  • Sad 9

Luzaleja

damn :( It sounds like they were really amazing people. I'm so sorry for them and their families :/

I hope whoever did this is caught and pays for it. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

VrouweKoekkoek
16 minutes ago, Luzaleja said:

damn :( It sounds like they were really amazing people. I'm so sorry for them and their families :/

I hope whoever did this is caught and pays for it. 

I wonder if there is any indication who did it. It seems very mysterious

Edited by xoxoDerpanne
  • LMAO 1
  • Sad 3

tylerjudas
6 minutes ago, xoxoDerpanne said:

found the culprit

Reveal hidden contents

tumblr_mejfy97tfO1rmew1co1_500.gif

What made you think this was okay?

• Like 15

VrouweKoekkoek
1 minute ago, tylerjudas said:

What made you think this was okay?

I'm sorry, I just read the article now, this is horrible. I'm gonna edit my comment

• Like 1

Rumours1977
13 minutes ago, xoxoDerpanne said:

I wonder if there is any indication who did it. It seems very mysterious

It indeed sounds mysterious

Edited by Rumours1977

VrouweKoekkoek
Just now, Rumours1977 said:

Henny:duck:

I edited my post, pls edit this 

• Like 1

Rumours1977
1 minute ago, xoxoDerpanne said:

I edited my post, pls edit this 

Edited :)

• Love 1

Helxig

Why can't the many evil billionaries die instead of the ones who actually wanted to do some good in the world with their money?

I'll be myself until they fūcking close the coffin.
  • Like 5

RAMROD

I am suspicious they are murdered. And by a pro no less.

There are lots of those in the deep web. Many are ex military who are an expert in stealth.

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ ♥ keep ♥ on ♥ dancing ♥ til ♥ the ♥ world ♥ ends ♥

JudasIsAHolyFoo

Wait @PunkTheFunk lives within an hour of me? :oprah:

OT: this is horrible. I hope their money goes to the right and deserving people and that they hopefully donate a sum to charity 

Monster Ball 2010, Monster Ball 2011, Born This Way Ball 2013, artRAVE 2014, Joanne World Tour 2017 (Both Nights in Toronto)
  • Like 1
  • Shook 1

PsychicGuru
19 minutes ago, Helxig said:

Why can't the many evil billionaries die instead of the ones who actually wanted to do some good in the world with their money?

See the thing is, how do we know they weren't?

I know I know, the donated millions to hospitals and charities, and their efforts are an example of hard work and philanthropy, but behind closed doors, anything is possible. With that much money, you can have powers that all of us can't even comprehend.

I'm thinking they got blackmailed, for something serious, and committed suicide to halt its progress.

Gaga's #1 fan
  • Like 3
  • Shook 1

Helxig
10 minutes ago, PsychicGuru said:

See the thing is, how do we know they weren't?

I know I know, the donated millions to hospitals and charities, and their efforts are an example of hard work and philanthropy, but behind closed doors, anything is possible. With that much money, you can have powers that all of us can't even comprehend.

I'm thinking they got blackmailed, for something serious, and committed suicide to halt its progress.

You're actually very right. I remember years ago Bill Gates donated like 2mil (or something similar) to a charity and everyone was talking about how amazing he was, and then other later pointed out that 2million to someone with that much money is like a few cents to the average person, and that it was a strategic ploy to gain back the public's trust or something. And that opened my eyes to the fact that incomprehensibly rich people have a lot of power to manipulate.

I'll be myself until they fūcking close the coffin.
  • Like 2

Decidueye

Tragic and all and rip...but this happens every second, everyday  all around the world to millions of innocent souls.. They were billionaires? Oh wow so sad:awkney:

• Like 3