đź’“ DAWN OF CHROMATICA đź’“

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
new music

Taylor Swift - Look What You Made Me Do

TheCureinMalibu

Featured Posts

giskardsb

she doesn't need to do this immature crap.  Taylor actual has the songwriting talent and a fanbase that will make her successful without having to take desperate measures like "diss" tracks.  She should just ignore it and do her thing.

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DelusionalGaga
1 hour ago, PaPatrick said:

I love the song and living for this era, but this had me screaming :toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

poAV1pp.jpg

Nnnnn Twitter is full of those :toofunny::toofunny:

16 hours ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Well...

Um...

I...

I actually like this. You read that right, folks. One of the resident Taylor haters on GGD, infamous for her critiques of her, likes this. I was just saying the other day that Taylor doesn't have the guts to take a musical risk and go dark. But she did it. There are far darker songs, obviously, but for Taylor's standards, this is earth-shaking. Now, don't get me wrong, I understand it has its flaws. I don't think this snake imagery is the smartest idea at all as I don't see how she can own such a negative phrase and make it positive. I'm not a big fan of the drama/karma part. That's when it starts to sound like a teen girl being angsty which is the biggest criticism levelled at it so far. The lack of a proper chorus doesn't bother me because this type of song doesn't need it. Angsty songs sometimes just have a repeated phrase in the chorus. It reminds me, theme wise, of Final Warning by Skylar Grey: "Someone's gonna get hurt and it's not gonna be me." It brings to mind those songs by indie girls about killing a love rival and suchlike. The talk-singing is almost like Selena Gomez's Bad Liar. If there was more explicit, had heavy guitars on it and had a big rock vibe (which would have been awesome), it would be like Kill Me by The Pretty Reckless. There's a lot of songs it reminds me of. I'm totally feeling this new direction. The 'shocking' parts just before the "oh!" are also genuinely quite shocking coming from Taylor. Saying she's had her karma but we'll get ours? That the old Taylor is dead? I never thought she'd be saying this stuff. This is actually one of the few Taylor songs I can actually relate to as well. I can't understand people who claim that they've never felt this angry and vengeful. If good girl Taylor can feel like this, we need to stop lying to ourselves. I've liked 2 of her lead singles before (Tim McGraw and WANEGBT - which I bet surprised some of you), so this won't necessarily mean that I'm going to actually like her new album in its entirety. But this hasn't been a normal year.

I won't pretend that this isn't her playing the victim once again...but she's doing it in a completely different way. She's actually owning up to her evolving personality and admits that she isn't as sweet as she's wanted us to believe until now. It's exactly like some members here said before - they'd love it if she just owned being a mean girl. While I'm certainly no fan of being proud of being a bad person, I think it's commendable that she's finally shedding this good girl image because it's that fakeness that has put me off her for so long. She's basically saying that yes, she does aim for success, doesn't like to have it taken away from her, she is proud and self aware. I'd rather she was evil and didn't care who knew than be a secret mean girl who plays innocent. I remember seeing the quote: "Mean people don't bother me a bit. Mean people who disguise themselves as nice people bother me a whole lot."

The only question now is, can she be successful with this? It's certainly not a song tailored (haha, pun!) for radio or for the current tastes of the music buying public. It certainly isn't meant for her really young fanbase or the soccor mom audience. Meaning, even if it goes #1, it won't be for long and might not be her biggest seller. For all we know, this could be the only dark song on the album. But considering that the album's called Reputation and it features Taylor looking edgier than usual (for her standards) on the cover, with newspaper headlines interspersed, it certainly suggests that the whole album is going to be about her revamping her image, being more grown up, no longer singing about bad situations in her life in such an innocent way. I mean, 2016 was one hell of a year for her. The only good thing that happened was her winning the Grammy for Album of the Year (and even that got her a lot of bad press as a lot of people wanted Kendrick to win, so it was a bittersweet triumph). The 2 remaining singles she released from 1989 flopped. She broke up with Calvin. She got backlash for owning up to using a pen-name in the credits of his new song. She was mocked for her short-lived romance with Tom. She was humiliated in Kanye's new song lyric. Kim provided evidence to prove she was behind said lyric and the world turned on Taylor in a way that she had never experienced. It was the worst year of her life, no doubt. That can inspire some great music. She's had enough of being let down and kicked around lately and she's prepared to shed the good girl image she worked so hard to build in order to get her feelings out there. Whatever happens, I can respect that.

Fully agree. See, what I like about this is that her past tongue in cheek moments like Blank Space and its video were directed towards all the rumors of her being a bad, maybe even crazy girlfriend to the many guys she's dated over the years. In regards to the inner workings of her relationships, the pickings were slim for detailed information, and nothing there was career breaking. Sure, she could have been intolerable and maybe she just sucks at keeping relationships. Maybe she's bad at choosing men, or they're incompatible. It was nothing solid, and nothing she couldn't use to her advantage easily while still seeming innocent. It was all on her own terms, and the two images (good girl, not so good girlfriend) could co exist.

This is different. Depending on how you look at it, the Kanye/Kim/Taylor situation may very well have completely exposed her as a pathological liar and success hungry human being. Add to this that nobody who's known as America's Sweetheart should ever have been expected to use 4chan (there's very little innocent about it) and with some knowledge of the inner workings. She has shown narcissistic qualities (naming her successes frequently as well as priding herself on being one of the top 50 famous people on the planet, if not better). She has asked 4chan what they would ask Taylor Swift if she was guaranteed to see the questions, and at an earlier point asked them to ask her questions on the basis of her being remarkably famous. She has, without necessity, bragged about the amount of sales and fame she had prior to Kanye West's stunt at the VMA's, and has shown herself to have remarkable self-awareness and concern over aspects of her career that could jeopardize or blaze the path to her continuous success and top girl status (for instance, mentioning that she is 'this' close to overexposure, and implying that her career decisions are meticulously connected to maintaining her popularity and success) Not to mention the constant fueds over the years, the boyfriend losses, the petty revenge music and videos. Pretty much all of this is now exposed.

For the first time, who she really is has been exposed to the media irrevocably. What would have seemed out of character for her media image before is no longer relevant because her media image isn't what it used to be. She is now fully willing to embrace her sketchy, manipulative, perhaps even narcissistic personality, and it must be refreshing for her. But Taylor is never not in the game by her own volition. She has made this on her terms. Last year's fued was quite relevant and she has discovered a way to capitalize on it. Instead of ignoring it, covering up, pulling the mask on tighter, she's pulled it right off and is now confronting it head on and using it for profit. It's glorious, in my opinion, and this has been expertly designed to market her way into more success, more #1's, and more exposure. She knows precisely what she wants, how to get it, and how to play the media game, and I'm excited to see her at #1 this week.

Pop Music

IT'S FLAWFREE. DESPACITO IS SHOOKETH TO IT'S CORE. SHE WILL SCALP THIS TOUR. COME THRU REPUTATION ERA

Gaga đź’ťTaylor đź’ťCarly Rae đź’ťRina đź’ťMARINA đź’ťBritneyđź’ťLights đź’ťShania đź’ťSigridđź’ť

Dominic

Late to the party but here goes:

The lyrics aren't the best. She is a great writer but it doesn't show here, however none of her leads ever highlight her talent. 

The verses are pretty average and give me some major Lord vibes however the chorus is the winner. Little repetitive but with the beat it's such an ear-worm.

Album cover is everything. Title is a little high schooler but looks like she is gonna switch things up which is always good. 

Overall I am quite impressed. She will sell well because she's Taylot Swift but I think she has lost that innocent edge which may hinder her sales but I think just the opposite. 

Alaska reclaimed the snake better :poot:

The hardest thing in this world is to live in it

StrawberryBlond
2 hours ago, Chic said:

Fully agree. See, what I like about this is that her past tongue in cheek moments like Blank Space and its video were directed towards all the rumors of her being a bad, maybe even crazy girlfriend to the many guys she's dated over the years. In regards to the inner workings of her relationships, the pickings were slim for detailed information, and nothing there was career breaking. Sure, she could have been intolerable and maybe she just sucks at keeping relationships. Maybe she's bad at choosing men, or they're incompatible. It was nothing solid, and nothing she couldn't use to her advantage easily while still seeming innocent. It was all on her own terms, and the two images (good girl, not so good girlfriend) could co exist.

This is different. Depending on how you look at it, the Kanye/Kim/Taylor situation may very well have completely exposed her as a pathological liar and success hungry human being. Add to this that nobody who's known as America's Sweetheart should ever have been expected to use 4chan (there's very little innocent about it) and with some knowledge of the inner workings. She has shown narcissistic qualities (naming her successes frequently as well as priding herself on being one of the top 50 famous people on the planet, if not better). She has asked 4chan what they would ask Taylor Swift if she was guaranteed to see the questions, and at an earlier point asked them to ask her questions on the basis of her being remarkably famous. She has, without necessity, bragged about the amount of sales and fame she had prior to Kanye West's stunt at the VMA's, and has shown herself to have remarkable self-awareness and concern over aspects of her career that could jeopardize or blaze the path to her continuous success and top girl status (for instance, mentioning that she is 'this' close to overexposure, and implying that her career decisions are meticulously connected to maintaining her popularity and success) Not to mention the constant fueds over the years, the boyfriend losses, the petty revenge music and videos. Pretty much all of this is now exposed.

For the first time, who she really is has been exposed to the media irrevocably. What would have seemed out of character for her media image before is no longer relevant because her media image isn't what it used to be. She is now fully willing to embrace her sketchy, manipulative, perhaps even narcissistic personality, and it must be refreshing for her. But Taylor is never not in the game by her own volition. She has made this on her terms. Last year's fued was quite relevant and she has discovered a way to capitalize on it. Instead of ignoring it, covering up, pulling the mask on tighter, she's pulled it right off and is now confronting it head on and using it for profit. It's glorious, in my opinion, and this has been expertly designed to market her way into more success, more #1's, and more exposure. She knows precisely what she wants, how to get it, and how to play the media game, and I'm excited to see her at #1 this week.

I thought initially that Blank Space was a genuine piece of self-awareness but she later confirmed in an interview that it was just her playing around with the image of her that the media's built up and thought "this is an interesting character, imagine if she was real?" And that just annoyed me. Even when it was so obvious she'd written from personal experience, she still couldn't be honest with us. I like Blank Space but I just wish she had been real about its intentions. This song makes up for the realness that Blank Space didn't bring.

I totally agree, for someone sometimes called America's Sweetheart, she hasn't actually done anything worthy of the title. Women with that moniker are sweet to everyone, they are humble, they have few relationships and they even shy away from the limelight at times. But Taylor has proven that she's nice in public but does shady things behind closed doors, she has displayed narcissism in her songs, she has had lots of boyfriends despite being in the industry for little over a decade and she lives for hype and the limelight. For all these reasons, the idea that a lot of mothers in America considered her to be a positive role model for their daughters was very strange to me. Taylor's narcissism isn't the worst case I've ever seen but it's certainly up there. I'm actually very interested in narcissistic personality disorder, I've been applying a lot of celebrities over the years to the list of symptoms to see how many they match. And also to see how many of the "things that can lead to NPD" symptoms that they match as well. Taylor is a classic case of it, is all I can say. See, narcissists wear their feelings on their sleeves, they don't seem to care about who witnesses their bad attitudes. They don't seem to identify anything that could cause people to get a bad impression of them and decide to leave it out. We're all a little bit narcissistic as this society encourages it and well, as an only child, I would have personal experience with it too. But most of us know that it's bad and try to keep a lid on it, improve ourselves. I've never seen Taylor try to change herself. She doesn't think she has to. Even after all these years, she genuinely doesn't seem to think she's the problem in anything that's ever gone wrong for her.

So, when all is said and done, she's probably going #1. I'm glad to see a woman at the top at long last but I just didn't want it to be her. I think she's had too much success for too long. I'm not keen on artists who never falter because that's a sign that their music is very bland and boring, hence why it keeps the public on side. It means they're not willing to experiment and get better. This is why I think some negative reviews could really do her good. She might be a bit stunned by the polarising reception critics have given her new song right now. And also that the lyric video has got over 200k dislikes vs. just over 1 million likes. It's actually her 4th most disliked video as of yet, which means that the official video will have even more. That's a big deal. Lyric videos don't get that level of dislike except in very rare circumstances. She's got more than the Swish Swish lyric video and her like/dislike ratio is actually worse too. Ed Sheeran's lyric video for Shape Of You has nearly 800 million views, over 4.1 million likes and just over 145k dislikes. 4.1 million vs. 145k is nothing and shows how much the song was adored. Taylor, on the other hand, has already past 200k dislikes and only has just over a million likes to overpower it. It's not looking good. The public might not be here for her this era. She's pissed off a lot of fanbases - Katy's, Calvin's, Kanye's, Kim's, maybe even Pink's and Justin's because she rained on their parade by releasing her new track the week after they put out their new singles. We saw what happened to Katy's era when she annoyed fanbases. We'll have to see if the media are still here for supporting her after her recent big success followed by major social slip-up. I'll be waiting with popcorn because it'll be good whatever happens.

Whispering

Welp, looks like this isn't the era Taylor will "flop". People predicting her demise were way off!   :awesome:

StrawberryBlond
9 minutes ago, Whispering said:

Welp, looks like this isn't the era Taylor will "flop". People predicting her demise were way off!   :awesome:

Don't think I didn't clock that shade posted just after what I said. You Taylor fans really need to quit the smugness. It's no surprise, though. She's taught her fanbase well. You're right up there with the Beyhive, you know that? I thought a Gaga fan of all people would know not to count their chickens before they hatch when it comes to album success. Nothing's guaranteed for anyone right now. Of course the fans are here for the lead but after that, we don't know what's coming.

Whispering
1 hour ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Don't think I didn't clock that shade posted just after what I said. You Taylor fans really need to quit the smugness. It's no surprise, though. She's taught her fanbase well. You're right up there with the Beyhive, you know that? I thought a Gaga fan of all people would know not to count their chickens before they hatch when it comes to album success. Nothing's guaranteed for anyone right now. Of course the fans are here for the lead but after that, we don't know what's coming.

Huh? This is the first comment I've made in this thread. Just got here and saw the Spotify numbers and predictions for sales.

Every comment doesn't revolve around you, ya know. I was really referring to the comments I had seen recently saying that her single would flop and era would go like KPs. I haven't seen you say that...but maybe you have. 

For the record, I'm not part of Taylor's fanbase. 

Yeah...I'm gonna go ahead and believe that she will be successful this era. You are free to think otherwise. 

StrawberryBlond
4 minutes ago, Whispering said:

Huh? This is the first comment I've made in this thread. Just got here and saw the Spotify numbers and predictions for sales.

Every comment doesn't revolve around you, ya know. I was really referring to the comments I had seen recently saying that her single would flop and era would go like KPs. I haven't seen you say that...but maybe you have. 

For the record, I'm not part of Taylor's fanbase. 

Yeah...I'm gonna go ahead and believe that she will be successful this era. You are free to think otherwise. 

Considering it was posted right under a long post I made that ended with me questioning how likely she is to have success with this era and how many dislikes the official video is going get, it seemed all a bit too coincidental. If I've got it all wrong, though, I apologise.

I haven't said that her new era would flop and I've actually been pleasantly surprised by her lead single, I think it's one of the best singles she's ever made. But I'm just being a bit tentative about how this era will go in general considering it's so hard to be a female in the industry right now no matter who you are. I've just seen too many of her fans swanning about with the usual high standards, expecting her to take the crown as usual and apply my usual realistic approach to things, that's all.

You're not part of her fanbase? Then why are you always defending her wherever possible and acting like a fan?

I have no doubt she'll have success this era, but I don't think it'll be anywhere near 1989 level, maybe not even Fearless level. I think her new sound will take some getting used to in the eyes of the public and so many of them have stopped liking her over the last year and hatred towards her is at an all-time high. Anyone else wouldn't be assumed to do well in that climate. I just would like to see a bit more realism applied to Taylor, instead of assuming she'll always come out on top. It can't carry on forever. What goes up must come down.

Whispering
Just now, StrawberryBlond said:

Considering it was posted right under a long post I made that ended with me questioning how likely she is to have success with this era and how many dislikes the official video is going get, it seemed all a bit too coincidental. If I've got it all wrong, though, I apologise.

I haven't said that her new era would flop and I've actually been pleasantly surprised by her lead single, I think it's one of the best singles she's ever made. But I'm just being a bit tentative about how this era will go in general considering it's so hard to be a female in the industry right now no matter who you are. I've just seen too many of her fans swanning about with the usual high standards, expecting her to take the crown as usual and apply my usual realistic approach to things, that's all.

You're not part of her fanbase? Then why are you always defending her wherever possible and acting like a fan?

I have no doubt she'll have success this era, but I don't think it'll be anywhere near 1989 level, maybe not even Fearless level. I think her new sound will take some getting used to in the eyes of the public and so many of them have stopped liking her over the last year and hatred towards her is at an all-time high. Anyone else wouldn't be assumed to do well in that climate. I just would like to see a bit more realism applied to Taylor, instead of assuming she'll always come out on top. It can't carry on forever. What goes up must come down.

Once again, my first comment on the song...and it was after I saw the numbers and predictions in the charts thread. I didn't even read your long post. 

I'm a casual fan. I don't belong to any type of group that follows her and I don't keep up with what she is doing like I do with Gaga. Any information I get about schedules, upcoming releases, etc. are from here...a Gaga forum. 

Of course, everyone will hit a wall eventually. It was just way too early to believe that Taylor was going to high it. 

StrawberryBlond
3 minutes ago, Whispering said:

Of course, everyone will hit a wall eventually. It was just way too early to believe that Taylor was going to high it. 

Too early? She's 11 years into her career. Almost all artists famously hit the wall at 10 years, if not before. Madonna did it with Erotica. Mariah did it with Glitter. Xtina did it with Bionic. Beyonce did it with 4. The 8/9/10 year of fame anniversary is always a sore point, even among legends. 5 albums down and no flop? This is really unprecedented. It's going to happen eventually, sometimes after a huge era, when ultimate love suddenly turns to ultimate hate. It's unrealistic to expect Taylor to keep churning out success year after year despite not changing much and displaying a lot of personality flaws.

Archived