💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
new music

Taylor Swift - Look What You Made Me Do

TheCureinMalibu

Featured Posts

Very obvious she's been hanging around Lorde a bit...especially in the first verse and the end of the pre-chorus with the rushed sentence structure. She doesn't do it that well though :rip:

The song is interesting for her, it's like Lorde and a song from Blackout mixed together. Not that bad.

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Emigrante

What kind of chorus is that. I don't enjoy this song. 

Sugar, spice, and everything nice.

LaLuna

Terrible, terrible song. Then again, I don't expect any less from Taylor, she's such an underwhelming yet overrated artist. 

11 minutes ago, thehanyo said:

Some of the most ruthless digs: 

Frank Guan, Vulture: "For all the serpent-themed hype leading up to the launch of the song, Swift’s words lack venom, fangs, and smoothness. They have the consistency of wet flour, and their meaning could be converted into a series of impotent hisses without any loss in translation. ... As far as her archnemeses Kim and Kanye go, it’s completely impossible to imagine them doing anything but laughing, hard, at Look What You Made Me Do. They’ve 'made' Taylor Swift release the worst music of her career: What could possibly be less intimidating than that?"

Lindsay Zoladz, The Ringer: "Unleashed on a deeply confused public late Thursday night, the song is a strange collage of retro reference points: mid-aughts Gossip Girl placement pop, the soundtrack to Disney’s live-action Maleficent, and — yes, really — Right Said Fred’s I’m Too Sexy, except devoid of the self-effacing humor and wit. Yes, the new Taylor Swift song just made me compliment Right Said Fred."

tenor.gif

FreePalestine

StrawberryBlond

Well...

Um...

I...

I actually like this. You read that right, folks. One of the resident Taylor haters on GGD, infamous for her critiques of her, likes this. I was just saying the other day that Taylor doesn't have the guts to take a musical risk and go dark. But she did it. There are far darker songs, obviously, but for Taylor's standards, this is earth-shaking. Now, don't get me wrong, I understand it has its flaws. I don't think this snake imagery is the smartest idea at all as I don't see how she can own such a negative phrase and make it positive. I'm not a big fan of the drama/karma part. That's when it starts to sound like a teen girl being angsty which is the biggest criticism levelled at it so far. The lack of a proper chorus doesn't bother me because this type of song doesn't need it. Angsty songs sometimes just have a repeated phrase in the chorus. It reminds me, theme wise, of Final Warning by Skylar Grey: "Someone's gonna get hurt and it's not gonna be me." It brings to mind those songs by indie girls about killing a love rival and suchlike. The talk-singing is almost like Selena Gomez's Bad Liar. If there was more explicit, had heavy guitars on it and had a big rock vibe (which would have been awesome), it would be like Kill Me by The Pretty Reckless. There's a lot of songs it reminds me of. I'm totally feeling this new direction. The 'shocking' parts just before the "oh!" are also genuinely quite shocking coming from Taylor. Saying she's had her karma but we'll get ours? That the old Taylor is dead? I never thought she'd be saying this stuff. This is actually one of the few Taylor songs I can actually relate to as well. I can't understand people who claim that they've never felt this angry and vengeful. If good girl Taylor can feel like this, we need to stop lying to ourselves. I've liked 2 of her lead singles before (Tim McGraw and WANEGBT - which I bet surprised some of you), so this won't necessarily mean that I'm going to actually like her new album in its entirety. But this hasn't been a normal year.

I won't pretend that this isn't her playing the victim once again...but she's doing it in a completely different way. She's actually owning up to her evolving personality and admits that she isn't as sweet as she's wanted us to believe until now. It's exactly like some members here said before - they'd love it if she just owned being a mean girl. While I'm certainly no fan of being proud of being a bad person, I think it's commendable that she's finally shedding this good girl image because it's that fakeness that has put me off her for so long. She's basically saying that yes, she does aim for success, doesn't like to have it taken away from her, she is proud and self aware. I'd rather she was evil and didn't care who knew than be a secret mean girl who plays innocent. I remember seeing the quote: "Mean people don't bother me a bit. Mean people who disguise themselves as nice people bother me a whole lot."

The only question now is, can she be successful with this? It's certainly not a song tailored (haha, pun!) for radio or for the current tastes of the music buying public. It certainly isn't meant for her really young fanbase or the soccor mom audience. Meaning, even if it goes #1, it won't be for long and might not be her biggest seller. For all we know, this could be the only dark song on the album. But considering that the album's called Reputation and it features Taylor looking edgier than usual (for her standards) on the cover, with newspaper headlines interspersed, it certainly suggests that the whole album is going to be about her revamping her image, being more grown up, no longer singing about bad situations in her life in such an innocent way. I mean, 2016 was one hell of a year for her. The only good thing that happened was her winning the Grammy for Album of the Year (and even that got her a lot of bad press as a lot of people wanted Kendrick to win, so it was a bittersweet triumph). The 2 remaining singles she released from 1989 flopped. She broke up with Calvin. She got backlash for owning up to using a pen-name in the credits of his new song. She was mocked for her short-lived romance with Tom. She was humiliated in Kanye's new song lyric. Kim provided evidence to prove she was behind said lyric and the world turned on Taylor in a way that she had never experienced. It was the worst year of her life, no doubt. That can inspire some great music. She's had enough of being let down and kicked around lately and she's prepared to shed the good girl image she worked so hard to build in order to get her feelings out there. Whatever happens, I can respect that.

Stephen

@StrawberryBlond I don't think she's owning up to being a mean girl, which I agree would be kind of cool. To me this song sounds like "I was  a good girl but being falsely accused/attacked by the media etc. was so traumatic and now I'm a bad girl rawr" :sharon: I could be completely wrong but that's what I got from it. 

"The role you made me play- of the fool"

"how you laugh when you lie, you said the gun was mine"

To me those lyrics sound like she's still claiming she was innocent :emma:

StrawberryBlond
3 minutes ago, Steve Nasty said:

@StrawberryBlond I don't think she's owning up to being a mean girl, which I agree would be kind of cool. To me this song sounds like "I was  a good girl but being falsely accused/attacked by the media etc. was so traumatic and now I'm a bad girl rawr" :sharon: I could be completely wrong but that's what I got from it. 

"The role you made me play- of the fool"

"how you laugh when you lie, you said the gun was mine"

To me those lyrics sound like she's still claiming she was innocent :emma:

Yeah, I get that. But she's still saying that she's a different person now. And she does hark back to claims of innocence with those lyrics, certainly, but there's menace behind it now, especially bringing up guns in her lyrics, which she never did before. This is a very different way of claiming victimhood. It's a way that can earn more respect and I think that's what she's going for.

Stephen
1 minute ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Yeah, I get that. But she's still saying that she's a different person now. And she does hark back to claims of innocence with those lyrics, certainly, but there's menace behind it now, especially bringing up guns in her lyrics, which she never did before. This is a very different way of claiming victimhood. It's a way that can earn more respect and I think that's what she's going for.

I suppose so. To me her trying to be dark/edgy while still claiming she was wronged is very lame. It's like she's not brave enough to go all the way. We all saw Kim's video. She very clearly was caught in her lies and she's still trying to claim the opposite, only now with some anger and dark lipstick :laughga: 

The chorus is Meghan Trainor's 'Me Too' and that's one of the worst songs I've ever heard in my ****ing life so

Tyler1992
9 hours ago, Doot said:

Yeah the reason that this sounds familiar is because the verses sound extremely similar to the song Operate which was featured in Mean Girls

I honestly thought she sampled this :duck:

OH MY GOD! 

I was thinking that it sounded to me like "that song from mean girls", but I couldn't remember what song it was/who sang it.

Then I clicked your video and BOOM!

You nailed it!

Hi Its Nicole
20 hours ago, aaron l said:

TFM ERA H E R E SHE COMES

Fixed

Hello Gaga

fede ARTPOP
5 hours ago, thehanyo said:

The gay thing? It looks like a clear rip-off of Beyonce's Formation.

Her dancers are too gayish for her childish public I think. :gaycat:

🖤 C H R O M A T I C A 🖤

NIghtmareElm

I am loving this song.  I admit that I hated everything before 1989.  Loved 1989.  First and only Taylor album I enjoy.  I can't stop listening to this song.  I get why people don't like it.  The song is pretty dark but also very petty.  Maybe that's why I like it because it reminds me of me :cryga:

Whether you like it or not the song will debut at LEAST number 5.  You have to be grateful that a female pop song is finally going to be a hit in the top 5.  There hasn't been a female pop song with no features hit number 1 since Adele's Hello.  This could finally kill Despacito and hopefully bring female pop singers back in the top 10.

Archived