NEW SONG: "I wanna be a star" | My Music

Ashes

Featured Posts

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like this :D

I'm glad you do :D Thanks.

P.S. I also forgot to post the lyrics to The Factory..

*We’re moving slowly, hand in hand

As they watch our every step

It looks like we’re unwelcome here

But what makes you think that I care?

Cause I don’t give a damn, give a damn

(Let them stare) I’m not letting go, so beware

(Let them stare) I’m ready to fire back

The mannequins are protecting their factory

We are a danger to them

Fake shine and smiles

Oh, nothing seems to matter to me

Cause now I’ve got you

*I’ll pull you closer, hold you tight

Even though they whisper that it’s wrong

Won’t stop, and as the lightning strikes

More heads are turning, feels so right

And I’d do it again, it again

(Make them stare) They better stay out of my way

(Make them stare) I’m ready to fire back

We are a danger to them

Fake shine and smiles

Cause now I’ve got you (And it feels so right)

We are a danger to them

Fake shine and smiles

Cause now I’ve got you

Oh, yes, I know what they are thinking (thinking)

We are too human to fit in (fit in)

We breathe, we think, we feel, and they can’t change us

And we know, yeah, we know...

*CHORUSx2

And it feels so right

Cause now I’ve got you

Feels so right, feels so right...

Awesome. I was waiting for you to bring back your thread. "The Factory" has always been my favorite of your instrumentals. I just listened to the finished version right now, and I love it. As I said before, I love your vocals. This is really good.

By the way, did you ever make any progress on "A Little Bit of Faith?" I love the sample of it.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I'm afraid to listen to it, though :D. I have around 20 mixes of it that have almost inaudible differences. I really can't tell what other people can hear, but if something irritates me (a delay that shouldn't be there, or an "s" that's too prominent) then I have to change it regardless because I know it's there. If I listen to it again, I'm 70% sure I'll find something that "needs" tweaking.

ALBOF is kind of stuck in a limbo right now :). I finished the lyrics and vocal melodies, but I'm sick of hearing that song (my own voice in it rather). I recorded the rest of the vocals, but the mic had different settings, so I ended up wasting a whole day trying to EQ them to sound the same as the previous session. I failed...

I'll try to get back to it and finish it this week, but no promises.

I also have another song to record that you haven't heard yet)

AbuHassan1992

Finally you're back! I actually put the factory on my iPod, the chorus is so catchy! My favourite part is when you sing "But what makes you think that I care" It just sounds so good! However, something that would make the song even better, is that during the 1st chorus after the bridge, you would sing with only the basic chords-synth or whatever, and the kick, and then, when the last chorus kicks in, everything goes "BOM!!! the mannequins are protecting their factory..."

I really like it, though :D

Finally you're back! I actually put the factory on my iPod, the chorus is so catchy! My favourite part is when you sing "But what makes you think that I care" It just sounds so good! However, something that would make the song even better, is that during the 1st chorus after the bridge, you would sing with only the basic chords-synth or whatever, and the kick, and then, when the last chorus kicks in, everything goes "BOM!!! the mannequins are protecting their factory..."

I really like it, though :D

Awwww... Thank you :D

I considered this idea, but eventually decided against it. It just doesn't work that well in the song. Also, I did this in some of my other songs, and I don't want to get too repetitive with that formula :).

Bye Bye Sanity = :legend: :legend: :legend:

I could just hear gaga sing Goverment Hooker on it :legend:

Ha-ha... thank you :) I'm really flattered.

Most people seem to like BBS, and that puts me under a lot of pressure cause the vocals have to live up to the instrumental. I've already written the lyrics, but it's not that simple with vocals. I have like 7 different versions of the chorus and 4 versions of the verse. Still trying to figure out what fits and sounds better. I won't record the vocals until I'm really happy with the melodies (I'm such a freak).

I need a single cover for iTunes :excited2:

Well, I use this one. It's really simple, just a texture + some shapes + the title (at least I'm not infringing anyone's copyright):

29fwcd1.png

I also made this one, it looks WAY cooler, but the photo belongs to someone else, I just searched for "mannequins" on deviantart, and I really liked this one. I, personally, don't want to use it, since I didn't make the photo:

dbi795.png

P.S. I didn't put my name on it cause AshesBorn is too username-y, and I don't like my real name :D

I guess I need to come up with an alias or something.

it's down as AshesBorn on my iTunes :lol:

I'll use the second one cause I think I prefer it, it's not doing any bad on my iTunes :D are you going to keep working and release like an EP or something?

it's down as AshesBorn on my iTunes :lol:

I'll use the second one cause I think I prefer it, it's not doing any bad on my iTunes :D are you going to keep working and release like an EP or something?

Whatever, it's not like it has any impact on my "career", lol... :lol:

I prefer the second one too, I wish I owned the pic. :flop: Anyway, maybe I'll do a photoshoot involving mannequins in the future to make a proper cover (and be accepted by the Illuminati :hausofdance: ).

Yes, I write music almost everyday. I've written around 20-25 songs/instrumentals, but I'm very choosy, so I've picked around 9 songs from them and the rest either won't ever be used or will be re-done. I haven't decided what I want to do when I finish working on them. Maybe release an EP on iTunes (if enough people care by the time I finish), or just upload the to soundcloud or smth. Either way, I'll also try to book some gigs at the nightclubs, and see how that goes)

AbuHassan1992

do you have any tips on how to write chords AFTER you've written the melody? Whenever I write songs, I usually write lyrics, then play around with chords and hum until I find a melody I like, but some months ago I wrote a song called "Big brother", which is one of my favorite songs I've ever written, but I can't seem to find a chord progression that matches the melody. Do you have any tips?

edit: Also, what mic do you use? and what software? How do you record/edit your backing vocals+lead vocals? :) thanks!

petterwoien

Normally, I start with chord progressions and then write the melodies, On rare occasions when I start off with some vocal melody, I figure out which key it's in and then find the chords by ear. It's very instinctive for me.

I found a video which might be helpful to you. That guy gets more technical and explains the process very well:

I just use a dynamic stage mic, and let me tell you - it's not very good. It takes away a lot from the vocals, I have to do lots of compressing and EQing after recording to make it sound present. I'll get a new one when I have the money, but right now I'm kinda content with what I have.

To make instrumentals I use FL Studio. Most often I use such plug-ins as: Gladiator, Autogun, Sylenth1, TruePianos, Sytrus, Harmless, Sawer, Garritan Personal Orchestra. For drums I use Vengeance Essential House 1/2/3.

For recording vocals I use Sony Vegas, then I import them to FL to do compressing/EQing and to add some effects (for example: Warmverb, Fruity Delay Bank, effects/compressors by Waves, sometimes Antares AVOX). I often do the delays manually, so I just duplicate the main vocal, add a filter to it, get rid of the "S" a "T" sounds, bring down the volume of it, place it a bit further than the main vocal, and cut out the parts that I don't need to delay.

I record the backing vocals just like the main vocals, and do the same with them: FL -> compression/EQ/effects -> back into Vegas. Usually, I do two different takes of the same harmony, make sure the timing is about the same, and pan them 100% left and right. I also don't like using delays on the harmonies.

Archived