Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Tom Holland accused of racism by Koreans

Lanius

Featured Posts

imwoahvicky

although it's funny how everybody stays silent until something like this happens but idols blatantly do blackface at times :wtf:

⚜ Roll Deep ⚜

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PI Floppedt

I don't see how the question wasn't valid though, like...South Korea's national and official language are both Korean. I would imagine them to be brought up to master it. So for them to be equally fluent in a second language in an environment that predominantly speaks Korean, is truly impressive.

But I'm not even surprised at the backlash though since that's one of the model questions that's associated with ignorant white people in America who think every person of colour they see in their surroundings are from another country.

tumblr_inline_o1mx6u5XMt1qhg0kw_500.gif

I don't actually hate PI

imwoahvicky
4 minutes ago, PI Floppedt said:

I don't see how the question wasn't valid though, like...South Korea's national and official language are both Korean. I would imagine them to be brought up to master it. So for them to be equally fluent in a second language in an environment that predominantly speaks Korean, is truly impressive.

alot of idols know Korean and English fluently, while some of them know some and others exclusively know only Korean (but they still have some knowledge of English) :shrug: 

Tom was just surprised and was wondering how he learned it, etc. he meant well but the netizens of Korea take everything seriously. they cause backlash when a idol gets a haircut they don't like :sweat: 

he just has no knowledge involving idols, and that's okay :shrug: 

⚜ Roll Deep ⚜

ItsTommyBitch
3 minutes ago, PI Floppedt said:

But I'm not even surprised at the backlash though since that's one of the model questions that's associated with ignorant white people in America who think every person of colour they see in their surroundings are from another country.

English is actually a required subject in South Korea sis :deadbanana: Obv. not everyone is fluent in it, but considering they take it for 10 years pre college, and then some even past that in College

It was just a bit ignorant - as in, Tom didn't know this... Though tbh many Asian speaking countries teach English as a primary subject or strongly suggested elective, so one could infer :gum: 

私自身もこの世の中も誰もかれもが, どんなに華やかな人生でも, どんなに悲惨な人生でも, いつかは変貌し, 破壊され、消滅してしまう. すべてがもともとこの世に存在しない一瞬の幻想なのだから

Lanius
15 minutes ago, MJHolland said:

complimenting someone's English skills is racist now?

Lay off all he's just a kid 

He "complimented" is English because he ASSumed he wasn't american just because he was fluent In Korean.

MJHolland
Just now, Lanius said:

He "complimented" is English because he ASSumed he wasn't american just because he was fluent In Korean.

a simple misunderstanding is not racist :ladyhaha:

if i met a bilingual person I'd prob make a wrong assumption too it's not because I'm racist 

Lanius
14 minutes ago, PI Floppedt said:

11 minutes ago, ItsTommyBitch said:

English is actually a required subject in South Korea sis :deadbanana: Obv. not everyone is fluent in it, but considering they take it for 10 years pre college, and then some even past that in College

It was just a bit ignorant - as in, Tom didn't know this... Though tbh many Asian speaking countries teach English as a primary subject or strongly suggested elective, so one could infer :gum: 

Y'all do realize that Idol is American right :awkney:

Lanius
1 minute ago, MJHolland said:

a simple misunderstanding is not racist :ladyhaha:

if i met a bilingual person I'd prob make a wrong assumption too it's not because I'm racist 

I don't think what he said was racist but he was ignorant and committed a micro aggression

PI Floppedt
10 minutes ago, ItsTommyBitch said:

Yup, you're right sis! It was an ignorant question put across by Tom, but I'm just trying to see it from a foreigner's standpoint I guess. I know many countries made English Language mandatory for citizens from a very young age, but I just think it's natural to assume that people are more fluent in their mother tongue in their own country than English. Still, Tom's case was that of someone who doesn't know enough about the country they're going to which could've been averted had he bothered to do some research. :duck:

I don't actually hate PI

PI Floppedt
17 minutes ago, Bomtox said:

alot of idols know Korean and English fluently, while some of them know some and others exclusively know only Korean (but they still have some knowledge of English) :shrug: 

Tom was just surprised and was wondering how he learned it, etc. he meant well but the netizens of Korea take everything seriously. they cause backlash when a idol gets a haircut they don't like :sweat: 

he just has no knowledge involving idols, and that's okay :shrug: 

Yeah, I've seen a handful of interviews and I know from the way they speak that they've probably spoken English for a very long time!

I agree that it was asked out of curiousity but as we all know, words that are spoken are prone to get misconstrued when they're translated to print. :diane: And on the other hand, I think Tom should take this as a learning point to know more about the country he's visiting first before going there. 

However, I think the one thing I'm not going to do is discount the validity of their reactions, because I can see how it can be offensive to them.

I don't actually hate PI

RAMROD

Don't think he meant harm. He probably impressed.

I mean, come on, he is doing his first world tour ever in his life. He probably visited many places he never thought he would ever visit in his wildest dreams. So culture shocks happens!

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

MJHolland
50 minutes ago, Lanius said:

I don't think what he said was racist but he was ignorant and committed a micro aggression

since when is a teenager making a minor micro aggression thread-worthy :awkney:

like if this really bothered you enough to inspire you to author a post about it on the internet, i don't think Tom is the problem 

NIghtmareElm

It's easy af to come off as racist these days.  You can ask for a fork in a Chinese restaurant and get labeled as racist by a SJW.

2 hours ago, Decodekid said:

fixed

HvA2rEh.gif

Honestly he portrayed Spider-Man the best out of all of the three actors. His performance was just so likable and felt authentic 

Archived