Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Is Gaga the latest great newcomer of pop music?

bumblebee

Featured Posts

bumblebee

Gaga has had one of the most sensational debuts in pop music:firega: She had not been a Disney/Nickelodeon star, she had not been a blogger or a member of some mainstream music band prior to the release of The Fame. She didn't have an audience to rely on. She emerged as if out of nowhere, jumping from her New York scene and bringing all the extravaganza she could pack. 

The special thing about her debut is: 
- she enjoyed impressive commercial success with the sales of 2,240,000 copies of her debut album in 2009
- she was warmly welcomed at the radio stations with five No.1 hits on Pop Songs chart in 2009
- her two singles rocketed to the top 10 of the best selling digital songs of all time in 2009
- her debut LP was critically acclaimed and recieved five nominations for Grammy Awards 
- she embarked on the worldwide arena tour and became one of the greatest touring forces of her generation 

Has the pop music witnessed the arrival of someone like Gaga since 2009? Somebody fresh with no Disney/Nickelodeon/band background? Somebody that would wreck it with his/her/their debut album as much as Gaga did? 

I thought about Adele, but 21 was not her debut album, she had previously released 19. I am thinking of Taylor Swift, but before 1989 she had recorded Red and her country records. I am thinking about Miley but she been on that Hannah Montana show for a couple of years before she released The Time of Our Lives. I am thinking Lana, but Born To Die, despite all its streaming power, was just the 70th best-selling album of 2012 and she only got decent airplay with Summertime Sadness remix in 2013:selena:

Maybe Lorde can qualify?:oprah: Pure Heroine sold over 800,000 copies, she scored two big radio hits and Royals was selling like crazy, the record was very well-recieved by critics and nominated for Grammy's. However, what was there about her touring? I can't find the receipts for Lorde Tour (2013–2014), but I've seen the Melodrama tour dates and she is taking it to the arenas! How do you think? 

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Saint Hollywood
Just now, loathereality said:

justin bieber? 

They said "latest great newcomer of pop music" :selena:

Robinladen

Nope, not on Gaga's level. But it's not the first time it takes a decade for a new global superstar to rise.

1998-1999: Britney Spears

2008-2009: Lady Gaga

2018-2019: Soon

britneyspears

I would say she's definitely one of the most exciting and captivating artists to debut this side of the 2000s.

venusfly

In terms of impact on the industry and general attention Gaga is the latest true breakthrough but there's been plenty more successful debuts. Lorde's debut pulled 5 million SPS and her sophomore is sitting at 93 on metacritic rn.

bumblebee
2 minutes ago, drinkmytears said:

No Ariana is

"Yours Truly", her debut album released in 2013, finished at 106 in the list of best-selling albums of the year; it entered the 2014 list, too, but once again missed the top 50, so I don't think that her debut LP was a commercially shattering breakthrough. 

theahsfan

Before I was a Monster, I always used to consider Gaga as the best pop artist of all time because she just.. is

theahsfan
Just now, Craig Barnes said:

What about Katy Perry?:selena:

No talent there, she's just a pop powerhouse in terms of sales [used to be]

xoxo Craig
10 minutes ago, drinkmytears said:

No Ariana is

She was disney/nickelodeon

End Racism Now

Archived