Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
interview

Father John Misty says he has no interest working with "pop stars"

monketsharona

Featured Posts

GagaMyBlood95

He didn't say it directly towards Gaga, the title is really wrong in so many ways :smh:

He basically described how pop industry works and that he doesn't want to be a part of it. And then he said, AS AN EXAMPLE, that he had no interest in actually working and writing for Gaga and Beyonce but they were the ones who came to him so that was a different story then.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly, his collaboration w/ Gaga felt the least "honest" anyway....... I can live without CTM & SP!

Giorno Giovanna

this is why you don't take drugs :duck::toofunny:

on a serious note, this person seems so full of himself and egocentric, and actually has such double standarts, if he doesn't like the popindustry and all its facettes, why partake in it by collaborating with pop stars.

oh and the fact he released his own version of Come To Mama, screams narcissistic

このジョルノジョヴァンナ夢がある

truthteller
29 minutes ago, freebit said:

He doesn't mean to insult her, but he does anyway. In short: He knows better than Gaga and Beyonce since his music has SO much integrity. Those poor girls come to him just to end the monotony of their basic songs. And by the way, he's tired of getting hated on by indie blogs for being contrived while they praise these underserving half-naked female performers. They are more contrived than him! etc, and so-on. :madge:

I don't care that he's "in-character", or that Gaga, a female in a male-dominated, male-gazey industry, has said she's felt "like a prisoner" before. Like **** trying to defend him here. He's an asshole.

Again, he did not directly mention Gaga's name when he said that.

Just because the interviewer used Gaga and Beyonce's names to kick off a question doesnt mean what he's about to say is 100% related to these two specific names.

He's talking about pop industry as a whole and its problematic side.

Try to think about Katy Perry and her Max Martin-Dr. Luke infused discog.

or The Chainsmokers and their brainless loops of electronic beats just to feed the need of the GP and to fillup the spotify playlists.

or even try to think about how messy the Ke$ha-Dr Luke lawsuit is becoming.

And he did mention he enjoyed the writing sessions with Gaga (more than another pop star) in another interview so you guys need to chill lol

monketsharona

The sentence that irks me a lot in what he said is 'They are crying for help in their music'

I don't think Gaga ever cryed for anyone help. 

Anyway, I don't think Gaga will ever 'cry' for his help again in the future. 

Emigrante

Well, I just think it's all about the way they worked together. He probably wrote most of Come To Mama song and he didn't exactly catch the way Gaga works most of the time, which is very workaholic and she's got control over most of the things she does. He probably thought: "oh wow, another popstar that wants me to write a song for her". 

Sugar, spice, and everything nice.

monketsharona
2 minutes ago, Emigrante said:

Well, I just think it's all about the way they worked together. He probably wrote most of Come To Mama song and he didn't exactly catch the way Gaga works most of the time, which is very workaholic and she's got control over most of the things she does. He probably thought: "oh wow, another popstar that wants me to write a song for her". 

He didn't for Sinner's Prayer... And he was a lot in studio with her...

I just found his words inappropriate. 

Americano
2 hours ago, monketsharona said:

I think everything she said about her time working on this album with 'the perfect team' was a ****ing mess tbh. To me it always felt exaggerated to promote a coming album. 

Mark my work most of the people she worked with on Joanne won't be back. 

Welcome to almost all of her albums? She doesn't repeat collabs often.

Anyway. This whole interview is just bizarre and weird.

GreekGod

Sorry guys but SP and CTM are the most intruiging songs along with PI and AD. Without those 4 songs album would totally be generic, without a real spirit. And Give a listen to John Misty, his new singles, and you'll understand how cynical and sarcastic he is all the time. So, lyrically and musically he's one step ahead of pop. 

Americano

Also there are sexist undertones to what he's saying about Gaga and Beyoncé which is obnoxious.

crisTEAne

his statements are self-contradictory and sort of disrespectful toward gagz. oh, and ffs, justifying authenticity/integrity based on the indie/pop binary is completely narrow-minded and pretentious. 

if you hurt taylor swift, i'll hurt you back

monketsharona
Just now, T E Anne said:

his statements are self-contradictory and sort of disrespectful toward gagz. oh, and ffs, justifying authenticity/integrity based on the indie/pop binary is completely narrow-minded and pretentious. 

The same situation kinda happened with Infected Mushroom when she 'collaborated' with them on ARTPOP.

I just find it quite stunning to see how some indie artists act pretentious and unpleasant when it comes to pop music. 

To me it's two different words that play on different level. I think FJM shouldn't force himself to work with pop stars if he is hostile to it. 

Patamon
2 hours ago, Camore said:

This is sad and disappointing since Gaga actually made me listen to his interesting music.

Oh well. Gotta cut someone off this picture.

CvOIvMYWAAA9vnm.jpg

Do it :sis:

2 hours ago, Bradley Cooper said:

He did not say that. He was just saying that pop stars in general are occasionally dissatisfied with how they have to conform to generic standards in order to 'sell', and they are prisoners of some sort. I actually think that his statement insinuated Beyonce and Gaga to be artists of higher artistic integrity and who chose not to stay complacent with their 'pop style' and therefore ventured for something different.

I had to reread the interview, and have to conclude you are wrong:

"But why do you think that Lady Gaga or Beyoncé would come to old Uncle Jerry over here for songs if they weren’t looking for something? If they weren’t like, “Get me away from these ****ing psychos.” Both of them know I’m not running around looking for these gigs. I’ve just done co-writes with those two people. The only reason it happened is because people played them my music and then they asked me to write for them. It’s as simple as that. I have no interest in doing it."

First of all, this sounds very speculative. It's also very unkind to both Lady Gaga and Beyonce. He's making it sound like they are coming to him because they need a savior, not because they are peers wanting to collaborate. He completely lost my respect there. That doesn't affect my opinion about his music, I just think he comes as a pretentious d**k.

Archived