Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Billboard: "Does POP radio have a problem with Beyonce?"

Stef

Featured Posts

Thomas P

Honestly it would be an upgrade from the **** they play now... Back in 2007-2011 radio was the best ever IMO, what the **** ever happened.

I’m a simple guy to please, if you like Melodrama, we chill.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Moebius
Just now, Thomas P said:

Worldwide lemonade has sold 3million, and in America it was confirmed to have sold more than 2million I dont know what they got this info from.

I saw a post here, I think it was from Billboard (the article), that compared the WW sales of Gaga's albums after the SB. ARTPOP was listed with 4.6M IIRC. So I'm confused now. :awkney: 

The Most Popular Girls in School megarate is cancelled!

Ricardo

I can't wait for the time when no one gives a **** about radio, it's such an outdated media, I know a lot of people still listens to the radio but also a lot of people played cds when mp3 was introduced 

giphy.gif

InsideOutright

Literally the only Beyonce songs I've ever heard on the radio and still hear are Irreplaceable, Halo, and Single Ladies.

MJHolland
1 hour ago, Robo Ga said:

I don't think the impact is inflated, the 18-35 demographic listens to everything she releases. Just because it's not being played at Office Depot doesn't mean it isn't impactful.  Put on Yonce, Partition, XO, Formation, Sorry, Hold Up on at the club and people will know the words.  At least they do in my experience 

Ok but. it's not about Office Depot or the gay clubs you go to.

18-35 y/o are also the ones who listen to hit radio stations. If they actually knew and liked Beyonce's songs, they'd be requested and they'd be played and they'd become hits.

But Beyoncé hasn't had a hit since 2008 !!! Maybe it's because people don't actually listen to it and like it and request it? Hmmm

I don't know why people think different rules apply to Beyoncé? If Gaga went 4 years without a hit, people would say she's over.

Meanwhile Beyonce hasn't had one it twice a long and her career and impact are at an all time high? Wtf? Beyoncé doesn't get to play by different rules than every other pop girl. 

I love Bey to death but the bandwagon and mass-hysteria is crazy.

JudasIsAHolyFoo
23 hours ago, Stef said:

I think the real question is does pop radio have a problem with Gaga? But of course Billboard won't be asking that question :neyde: 

088ca68fd4d896bff645503e5a8f10e9.gif 

Monster Ball 2010, Monster Ball 2011, Born This Way Ball 2013, artRAVE 2014, Joanne World Tour 2017 (Both Nights in Toronto)

On 2/16/2017 at 4:24 PM, CakeLikeLG said:

didn't her singles from Lemonade peak higher on radio than all singles from Joanne era?:ladyhaha:

Formation was the only one in the top 10 at #10 and MR is at #4

EDIT: Nvm saw a reply

StrawberryBlond

Her songs don't get played on pop radio because they're not pop. Simple. Her music is the most urban its been in some time, so it won't appeal to pop listeners, hence, it won't get played. If you want to hear urban music, go to urban radio, where Beyonce is worshipped. I don't know what's so difficult to understand. The question I want to know is why pop radio is turning away good pop songs by good pop artists. Why should their denial of urban artists be of any concern to me? If Beyonce wants played on pop radio, she needs to release another Halo or Single Ladies. That's clearly not her plan, so what does everyone expect? Her music is the most experimental its ever been, the most personal its ever been and her way of releasing albums nowadays is evidence of her not caring about radio or even selling singles. She wants to be remembered for her entire body of work, hence, she releases whole albums with no singles. With no set single, it means she can promote whatever song she wants and if radio does want to play a song from it, they can choose whichever one they want. She wants to sell albums not singles, so radio performance is irrelevant. Beyonce IS getting played on radio, just not certain stations, but it's the same for every artist. Taylor Swift is releasing pop songs now so it wouldn't make any sense for her to be played on country radio like she used to. What station you get played on depends on what genre you're going for. Urban music? Urban radio. Why are Billboard making a mountain out of a molehill? It's not like Beyonce needs any more exposure right now.

On 16/02/2017 at 9:27 PM, Moebius said:

Wait

Did ARTPOP actually outsell Lemonade?! And yet it's called a flop?!

(Absolutely NO shade to Lemonade and bey; I love them, just made a comparison)

3o6Yg1hJwAlWxYI5ry.gif

Just US sales. But worldwide, it's very close. You make a very good point. There have been other albums that sold similar but were labelled hits whereas AP was a flop. Yes, by 2013 standards, maybe AP didn't sell that well as this is when sales were just starting to downturn. Yet she still had one of the most successful albums of the year. It's a shame that people haven't got the facts right.

23 hours ago, Ricardo said:

I can't wait for the time when no one gives a **** about radio, it's such an outdated media, I know a lot of people still listens to the radio but also a lot of people played cds when mp3 was introduced 

giphy.gif

Same. I don't listen to radio properly, I just hear it as background noise in some places. No one's sitting there actually listening to it intently. Wherever you are, people just talk through it. I have no idea why some people put it on in their car only to immediately converse with all the passengers. If you like someone's music, you buy it. Whether you hear it on the radio or not is in no way indicative of how successful they are or changes how much you like them. I've never listened to a song on the radio and thought I'd go out and buy it. I'm only interested if it's someone I like. Most of them are only getting played because the labels pay the stations anyway. Just because a station is playing a song doesn't meant that anyone likes it or that it's successful. It means exactly what it is - it's just a radio station playing a song, nothing more, nothing less.

21 hours ago, MJHolland said:

Ok but. it's not about Office Depot or the gay clubs you go to.

18-35 y/o are also the ones who listen to hit radio stations. If they actually knew and liked Beyonce's songs, they'd be requested and they'd be played and they'd become hits.

But Beyoncé hasn't had a hit since 2008 !!! Maybe it's because people don't actually listen to it and like it and request it? Hmmm

I don't know why people think different rules apply to Beyoncé? If Gaga went 4 years without a hit, people would say she's over.

Meanwhile Beyonce hasn't had one it twice a long and her career and impact are at an all time high? Wtf? Beyoncé doesn't get to play by different rules than every other pop girl. 

I love Bey to death but the bandwagon and mass-hysteria is crazy.

Thanks for this. Her fans need to realise that there is a wider world outside her fandom and social media. Most of the over 40 demographic don't have a clue about Beyonce's new music and they definitely don't request songs on the radio. If I didn't research every artist so thoroughly, I'd know very little about Beyonce's music because I simply haven't heard it throughout my day-to-day life since roughly 2010. If I want to hear her music, I have to go looking for it, I don't go through life and hear it. So, I imagine it's the same for most other people. When you're a fan of someone, it's tough to contemplate why no one else seems to know much of their music or care about them but it's life.

Indeed, different rules seem to apply to Beyonce. Despite the fact that she hasn't had a mega hit single in years, she's apparently slaying, yet, if any other popstar fails to have a hit in years, they're deemed a flop. Why? Because they don't release albums in the same way? Because they don't have the same untouchable goddess image? I treat Beyonce with the same rules as everyone else and her fans really don't like it when I do that so I'm glad that you're a fan with your head on straight. Thing is, with her way of releasing albums, Beyonce's positioned herself above the charts and her fans have followed that logic quite literally - by not caring about releasing singles, she truly is better than everyone else and is in her own lane. The reality is, Beyonce stopped releasing singles because she realised with 4 that she couldn't sell singles like she used to. 4 didn't garner any US top 10's which must have been embarrassing for her. So, clearly, she decided to take a route where she wouldn't even release singles, that way, no one could laugh at her for having flop singles if she never released any. Essentially, she can flop but it'll look like a success because at least her album sold. It's amazing how she found a way to do this so she doesn't have to work her herself crazy promoting every single only for  them not to sell. But if she's taking the easy route, I'm not letting her have an easy ride and will point out the reality of her true intentions with her new way of releasing things. Guaranteed if Gaga pulled this album-only release idea, people would say she has to do this because her singles flop and it's the only way she can get her music to sell now. So, I think Beyonce should be treated in the same way. It's only fair.

Economy
On 2017-02-16 at 4:27 PM, Moebius said:

Wait

Did ARTPOP actually outsell Lemonade?! And yet it's called a flop?!

(Absolutely NO shade to Lemonade and bey; I love them, just made a comparison)

3o6Yg1hJwAlWxYI5ry.gif

U cant make that comparison

as more and more people switch to streaming, the same numbers mean different things

Album sales have literally dropped another 30% to 40% since ARTPOPs release

Lemonade is a top seller! 1.6M four years ago was still very decent but not a top seller

we have to adjust the barometer for the times

I myself used to buy albums now i only buy the ones i REALLY love for my collection cuz i will never actually use the CD. Streaming/downloading is just easier and more practicle!

On 2/16/2017 at 4:21 PM, Stef said:

I think the real question is does pop radio have a problem with Gaga? But of course Billboard won't be asking that question :neyde: 

Tell them how you feel girl!

Archived