💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Where Does The Country-Folk Inspiration Come From?

ArtPLAUSE

Featured Posts

xoxo Craig
41 minutes ago, macca said:

Sinners prayer and ayo say hi :awkney:

A-YO is not Country. Sinner's Prayer is. MR to an extent is. But that's it. Those songs dont reflect the whole sound of Joanne. So to say that Joanne sounds country is wrong:whitney:

End Racism Now

blackcoffee

I would say the album has more folk-pop influences then country and for people blaming Ronson, look into his discography and you'll see that much of the Joanne sound is not a usual sound in his repertoire. Honestly, the album is more soft rock pop then anything else. Love it. 

She lives on the insanely gorgeous Malibu coastline. I'm fortunate enough to live down the coast in the much more industrial city of Long Beach and Malibu is just one of those places you can go to quickly to just escape. The gorgeous rolling hills just dipping into the bright, cerulean ocean...nothing beats cruising on Pacific Coast Highway through Malibu.

I hear some of the sounds on Joanne and it's just PERFECT for that kind of road trip through Malibu. It fits. A song like "Joanne" just sounds like the golden summer sun glistening through the tawny grass on a bluff overlooking the darkening blue of the ocean. Totally see how she was inspired.

Malibu, for as rich as many of the residents may be, is also kind of a country town. It's not the city and is very rural. Many residents have horses and, like Gaga, ride them through the beautiful land. There's also great little dive, country, and biker bars off the canyon roads in town, so that may have also been inspiration. Songs like Diamond Heart and Sinner's Prayer fit those places.

Lastly, the late 1960s, early 1970s had a huge, impactful California music scene in folk and soft rock music. It was the Laurel Canyon scene/sound made popular by musicians like Joni Mitchell and Carole King. Laurel Canyon isn't far from Malibu and that musical history still inspires artist, maybe even Gaga. Other "California sound" artist include the amazing Fleetwood Mac (my favorite classic band) and I definitely hear some of their influence in Joanne.

Honestly, Joanne is my favorite overall album of hers and I've been a stan since Just Dance. I just love the unique sound. I deeply love my home state California and for the reasons I said above, Joanne just sounds very California inspired. I honestly would be so here for her having a complete era of Fleetwood Mac inspired magic. 

Sorry for the essay, it's just something I've thought a lot about.

Now I wanna go drive the Malibu coastline this weekend and just blast Joanne with the windows down. 

Doesn't anyone remember Born This Way - Country Road? :poot:

She was also spotted at a Garth Brooks concert.

DeanWinchester
11 minutes ago, blackcoffee said:

The gorgeous rolling hills just dipping into the bright, cerulean ocean...nothing beats cruising on Pacific Coast Highway through Malibu.

I hear some of the sounds on Joanne and it's just PERFECT for that kind of road trip through Malibu. It fits. A song like "Joanne" just sounds like the golden summer sun glistening through the tawny grass on a bluff overlooking the darkening blue of the ocean. Totally see how she was inspired.

this triggered my wanderlust so bad :giveup:

Flyin' like a 1000 Doves

DeanWinchester
11 minutes ago, blackcoffee said:

Lastly, the late 1960s, early 1970s had a huge, impactful California music scene in folk and soft rock music. It was the Laurel Canyon scene/sound made popular by musicians like Joni Mitchell and Carole King. Laurel Canyon isn't far from Malibu and that musical history still inspires artist, maybe even Gaga. Other "California sound" artist include the amazing Fleetwood Mac (my favorite classic band) and I definitely hear some of their influence in Joanne.

and holy **** wow this is too true. You know your **** well :applause:

The Eagles were also inspired by this. No wonder so many songs are odes to California (RHCP alone :toofunny:).

Flyin' like a 1000 Doves

Princess Stache

During ARTPOP, she had never previously tackled EDM music, but you didn't see her bringing out Skrillex during the ArtRave, so I don't think you have to worry about her singing with Mumford and Sons.

i  think @blackcoffee summed it up beautifully. i just wanted to point out carole king is/was a HUGE influence over gaga starting at a young age. i think there are some genres we've seen LG work with & then are just now finding out which specific artists & genres inspired her her whole life. LG has mentioned she was in a zepplin cover band & would listen to a lot of her dad's music. (i mention zepplin bc its folk and rock)  i think this time around she really has gone back to her roots & it suprised us all bc up until then we'd only seen and heard what she was always dying to experiment with. 

Ladle Ghoulash

Gaga has cited several country/Americana/southern rock artists as influences. Neil Young, Bruce Springsteen, Garth Brooks...

Archived