💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

opinion

What I would change about the ARTPOP era...

Helxig

Featured Posts

Helxig

First of all before I get started I think I'd better start with a little disclaimer: okay so, I'm usually the first one that sticks up for Gaga and the ARTPOP era, because I believe that she made what she felt was the best decisions at the time, given her mental state and all the hectic things in her career and personal life back then. Her struggle to gain back control of her work and artistry, her label and manager using and abusing her etc. So I in no way blame her for anything, and this is not me attacking her choices. 

I'm simply stating what I personally would've liked the era to be like. Because I've spent a lot of time thinking about it tbh :sweat:

Heeeeeere we go:

First of all this is what I would've done with the tracklist:

1. Aura (demo version) - this version had more bite and those raw/screamy vocals gave me life. They were just what that track needed to sound truly different and experimental and powerful

2. Venus (current version)

3. G.U.Y. (current version)

4. Sexxx Dreams (current version)

5. MANiCURE (current version) - althought I'd maybe have it more rocky and slightly less pop/electronic

6. Brooklyn Nights - but properly mastered and mixed. I think it would've been a really nice addition to ARTPOP, and would've fit so nicely between MANiCURE and ARTPOP.

7. ARTPOP - louder 'hee-hee's like in the live version

8. Do What U Want - solo version. I think the song is much more meaningful with the verse about her aching bones, but pushing through it for the fans. R Kelly's verse and attachment to the song gave it really negative vibes in a lot of ways. Then later, after the The Voice performance, she would release the Xtina version.

9. Swine - iTunes festival version. I remember being in love with the song after the festival, but when I heard the album version it sounded flat and empty. Then I realised... it was missing the TSH TSH TSH TSH of Gaga bashing on the drums, and also the extra drumbs from the band. Those added layers would've made the album version have more kick, and the drop would've been harder and more satisfying.

10. Donatella (current version)

11. Fashion! (current version)

12. Mary Jane Holland (current version)

13. Dope (current version)

14. Gypsy (current version)

15. Applause (current version)

Extended version:

1.1. Jewels & Drugs - sorry to all the fans of this song, but I personally feel like this is the one song that really made the album feel disjointed. And I totally get what Gaga wanted to do with this album, that she wanted it to be collaborative, she wanted to show she could write all kinds of songs and showcase her diversity, etc. But I feel like this song always came out of nowhere and didn't fit. But at the same time, deserves to exist.

1.2. I Wanna Be With U - this would've satisfied the fans who loved the song. I feel like one of the main reasons the fans turned their backs on ARTPOP, or one of the main tipping points for fans, was the fact this song was excluded. I think if she just gave it a quick recording at the piano, and buffed it up a bit like with Dope, the fans would've been happy and all that drama would never have happened, nor the hate for Dope.

Now onto singles:

Lead single: Applause: I think it was a great lead single, the only problem was the Katy drama, which really set the era off to a bad start. I know it was impossible to predict, but if releasing it at the same time as Roar could've been avoided, that would've started the era off much more positively and people would've enjoyed the single more.

Buzz single: Do What U Want - Solo version: So in the real timeline of how things went DWUW skyrocketed the charts and was quickly changed to the second single from Venus, and I think this still would've happened with the solo version. It could be released as a buzz single. But...

Second single: Do What U Want - Christina Version: this time around I would've twisted things up by releasing the Christina version as the official single, in the music video, after having the solo version garner all the initial radio play.  And then release the Christina version on the radio in place of the solo version, which would also extend the life/air time of the song, or give it a boost if the solo version wasn't doing well by this point. The timeline makes sense too because ARTPOP was released November, she performed the song with Christina in December, so the video could've been released in early January.

Third single: Venus:  After the pretty much guaranteed success of the two DWUW songs, this is the time for her to throw out something risky and experimental. Venus was going to be the official second single, but was scrapped. In my timeline Venus wasn't scrapped, it was just delayed. The video would have slayed, even if it was really just for the fans to enjoy. 

Buzz single: MANiCURE: As a buzz single it would just get radio play and no video, unless it did really well... Also, I feel this would be the best strategy to show her diversity like she wanted to with ARTPOP. By this point she's had Applause (pop), Do What U Want (RnB), Venus (experimental/electronica), and now MANiCURE (pop-rock. Also, MANiCURE is catchy as hell, and I know it would've done well on radio with the GP on pop stations.

Fourth single: G.U.Y. Now I think we all agree with G.U.Y. had incredible potential for charting well, it just hit some walls. Mainly the fact that people had forgotten about her since Applause, and the era was already done for, and she had no promo support from her label. If she released it at this point it would be just the catchy and most importantly, safe, option to follow up a run of fairly risky songs. It'd solidify her pop-reputation again after the other singles.

Fifth and last single: Gypsy: It's just a really good song. And it would've been perfect to close out the hectic, loud, electronic era with a really meaningful, sweet, and deep ballad. It's also really catchy and everyone agrees it had radio potential.

Bonus

iTunes release, not on any official album: Princess Die. A fan favourite that we all wanted to get an official recording/release. Although I'm not sure that Gaga wanted it officially released, and maybe wanted to just get her feelings out and give something special to the fans. So I think an iTunes release without it being attached to any album would've worked well.

And that's it! That's how I'd have modified the tracklist and the singles! I think that era would've had a really nice flow to it, and people would've kept their faith in her. It would've had good momentum, an I believe the album would've been a little more cohesive/less disappointing to different groups of people (including fans)

I'll be myself until they fūcking close the coffin.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Helxig
4 minutes ago, Yo GagaGaga said:

I would've loved that era

The only thing I would add is Princess Die on the album

Yes omg :giveup:   buy hey, at this point my version of the album, the extended version, is already 17 songs :laughga: 

Also I'm not sure she wanted that song officially released. Just as something special for only the fans. It's really meaningful to her. I wish she just released a studio version separately on iTunes, rather than on any album!

Hades

Αdd Princess die/Temple and cut Fashion!(kinda bland) and Jewels N Drugs(meh) from every version. 

I'd also replace Dope which is awful with I wanna be with you. The rest are good!

Yo GagaGaga
Just now, Helxig said:

Yes omg :giveup:   buy hey, at this point my version of the album, the extended version, is already 17 songs :laughga: 

Also I'm not sure she wanted that song officially released. Just as something special for only the fans. It's really meaningful to her. I wish she just released a studio version separately on iTunes, rather than on any album!

lol let's just throw out Jewels N' Drugs or one of the songs about Fashion

gaga-tea.gif

although she might've gotten backlash for the suicide references and people may have thought she was "exploiting Diana's death" or something

Yo GagaGaga
Just now, GrandeVersace said:

Αdd Princess die/Temple and cut Fashion!(kinda bland) and Jewels N' Drugs(meh) from every version. 

I'd also replace Dope which is awful with I wanna be with you. The rest are good!

take it back, fat

giphy.gif

Hades
Just now, Yo GagaGaga said:

take it back, fat

giphy.gif

Never i hate it. Just call me fat.

Helxig
2 minutes ago, Yo GagaGaga said:

lol let's just throw out Jewels N' Drugs or one of the songs about Fashion

gaga-tea.gif

although she might've gotten backlash for the suicide references and people may have thought she was "exploiting Diana's death" or something

Yeah exactly. She didn't need anything else polarising during that era :laughga: 

I would even take out Fashion! and Dope because they take the energy of the album as a whole as well as quality way down Imo

Irrelevant

Lady Gaga's Vevo for ARTPOP:

To get things hyped, there should be some snippets for the album but on the VEVO, as it would get more attention

To kick things off, there will be the audio for APPLAUSE

After a while, there would be the lyric video, followed shortly by the music video

DWUW (solo) will be released as an audio, followed shortly by a lyric video

ARTPOP is released, and The ARTPOP Film will be released on Vevo

I think that DWUW ft. Xtina should be a surprise release. So the MV, LV and the Audio will be released suddenly on the Vevo. After the release she will perform on The Voice, for promo.

Venus Audio and LV will be released. I think there should be very visual/psychedelic/controversial videos for this song. So I'm thinking there should be 3 visuals of this song. 

During the visuals, MANiCURE's audio and LV will be put on Vevo.

G.U.Y will also be a surprise MV/Audio/LV release. The music video contains 3 songs, Venus, MANiCURE and G.U.Y (Venus and GUY in full length, MANiCURE shortened) with some other songs as an interlude. This will help promote all 3 songs. 

Gypsy will be released in Audio and LV. I think it should have a video with a similar concept as to MTN.

Spoiler

Of course, there would be performances and stuff as well.

광야로 걸어가 알아 네 home ground

Helxig
3 minutes ago, GrandeVersace said:

Αdd Princess die/Temple and cut Fashion!(kinda bland) and Jewels N Drugs(meh) from every version. 

Just now, vocalqueef said:

I would even take out Fashion! and Dope because they take the energy of the album as a whole as well as quality way down Imo

I was just trying to please eeeeeveryone. And I personally love Dope. It made me cry a tiny bit when she performed it on Howard Stern because I could feel her pain. I think it was an important song for her to put out for her own mental health too.

I could probably do without Fashion! as well, but it's a fan favourite so... lol

Helxig
1 minute ago, redhoodieslime said:

Lady Gaga's Vevo for ARTPOP:

To get things hyped, there should be some snippets for the album but on the VEVO, as it would get more attention

To kick things off, there will be the audio for APPLAUSE

After a while, there would be the lyric video, followed shortly by the music video

DWUW (solo) will be released as an audio, followed shortly by a lyric video

ARTPOP is released, and The ARTPOP Film will be released on Vevo

I think that DWUW ft. Xtina should be a surprise release. So the MV, LV and the Audio will be released suddenly on the Vevo. After the release she will perform on The Voice, for promo.

Venus Audio and LV will be released. I think there should be very visual/psychedelic/controversial videos for this song. So I'm thinking there should be 3 visuals of this song. 

During the visuals, MANiCURE's audio and LV will be put on Vevo.

G.U.Y will also be a surprise MV/Audio/LV release. The music video contains 3 songs, Venus, MANiCURE and G.U.Y (Venus and GUY in full length, MANiCURE shortened) with some other songs as an interlude. This will help promote all 3 songs. 

Gypsy will be released in Audio and LV. I think it should have a video with a similar concept as to MTN.

Reveal hidden contents

Of course, there would be performances and stuff as well.

AGREED! I'll tackle the tracklist, song versions, and singles. You tackle promo/hype lol

Yo GagaGaga

also, would the visual album follow through during your version. I need the Mary Jane Holland music video

Just now, Helxig said:

I was just trying to please eeeeeveryone. And I personally love Dope. It made me cry a tiny bit when she performed it on Howard Stern because I could feel her pain. I think it was an important song for her to put out for her own mental health too.

I could probably do without Fashion! as well, but it's a fan favourite so... lol

Oh I like Dope as well (especially her Howard Stern performance) but I feel like it brings the whole mood of the album which is rather fun and party down. 

I think ARTPOP should be without: J&D, Fashion! and Dope. 

Archived