Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

1989: Underrated Pop Perfection?

KleinGa

Featured Posts

GagaFace

Underrated? :shrug:

even in my floppy country everybody know about the singles also the whole album :air:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Swan Heart

It's one of the biggest records in a while and won AOTY over freaking Kendrick Lamar. Calling it underrated is kind of ridiculous. Quite the opposite.

It did not do it for me. Good songwriting,  but the production was incredibly irritating.

They say it's the last song. They don't know us, you see. It's only the last song if we let it be.

I hate her but there's no denying her music is quality and that album is a keeper honestly, one of those albums you take to a road trip or during a flight etc. That's quality

Hades

It's not underrated at all. It was everywhere even if someone doesn't like her music. My only argue is that Ouf of the Woods flopped and it's a bland song. The other singles were huge though.

Versace
42 minutes ago, ItsTommyBitch said:

I mean... this is a Lady Gaga forum. We praise it to high heavens for a reason :laughga: I think its unrealistic to expect any more.

The general public probably remembers Just Dance, Poker Face, Bad Romance, but Taylor's star has been brighter for a while now. I'd argue 1989 is definitely more acclaimed than TFM in the eyes of the public :emma: 

Maybe more acclaimed but never as impactful 

It is one thing to have immense commercial success and another to have had an impact on music and pop culture itself, I'd argue that 1989 played out like Katy's Teenage Dream era. Whereas nothing compares to how Gaga dominated the scene with TF and TFM, especially when you consider that they were her debut whereas 1989 was Taylor's fifth album.

Versace

I feel 1989 is slightly underrated critically speaking with a score of 76 on Metacritic. Even her albums Red and Speak Now are a point higher both at 77, which isn't that big of a diff but still as a fan of Taylor, I feel 1989 is her best offering and one of the most solid pop albums of the 2010's. None the less the album was a huge commercial success, in that department one can argue if it deserved it or if it was being overrated.  

On another note, I see people having issues with labeling the genres of Taylor's albums, this is how I see it

Taylor Swift (self titled)-Country 

Fearless-Country with elements of Pop

Speak Now-Country Pop

Red-Pop with elements of Country 

1989-Pop

Redstreak

Ugh I agree it's underrated :giveup: 

Take a moment to think of just flexibility, love, and trust~

ItsTommyBitch
8 minutes ago, Versace said:

Maybe more acclaimed but never as impactful 

It is one thing to have immense commercial success and another to have had an impact on music and pop culture itself, I'd argue that 1989 played out like Katy's Teenage Dream era. Whereas nothing compares to how Gaga dominated the scene with TF and TFM, especially when you consider that they were her debut whereas 1989 was Taylor's fifth album.

I think we agree? :gum:

My point was that the general public isn't looking back at albums from the years and going "Man, That Lady GaGa dude totally shook things up with his album The Fame Monster back in 2009 :poot: "It is often pop music critics and dedicated fans that make these observations. The general public that buys pop music is not stopping at every pop release to thank Gaga and TFM for her impact.

8 minutes ago, Versace said:

I feel 1989 is slightly underrated critically speaking with a score of 76 on Metacritic. Even her albums Red and Speak Now are a point higher both at 77, which isn't that big of a diff but still as a fan of Taylor, I feel 1989 is her best offering and one of the most solid pop albums of the 2010's. None the less the album was a huge commercial success, in that department one can argue if it deserved it or if it was being overrated.  

Metacritic, while an amalgamation of reviews from around the internet is not the end all of critical ratings :saladga: For one, the website only claims that reviews from specific websites count towards it's score and its not entirely methodical as to which publication's reviews count towards the website. They also do no sort of vetting of the reviews to see if they are even remotely fair and unbiased, academic, well written, etc. (That's how a  gaga hater can give BTW a 0 out of a personal vendetta towards her as an artist and this can completely destroy her score :emma: ) There are a lot of things that make metacritic scores not relatively indicative of general or even professional consensus about the album :shrug: The most we can really come down to by using Metacritic is "generally positive; mixed feelings; or negative feelings" and even those aren't all that conclusive because of the selective and even non-present vetting done by the website :laughga: 

That being said, TFM only has a 78 on metacritic. That is only 2 points higher than 1989. If  we accept Metacritic as the end all measurement of critical acclaim in terms of album releases then 1989 is still almost as acclaimed as The Fame Monster. It makes sense that people praise TFM to the high heavens when we are on a website dedicated to her and people here tend to obsess over her and pop culture in general (which also adds in with the "more cultural impact" aspect)

(Also, I think Red > 1989 just slightly personally after having it sit with me for a year. I would put Speak Now above both of them though :lolly: )

私自身もこの世の中も誰もかれもが, どんなに華やかな人生でも, どんなに悲惨な人生でも, いつかは変貌し, 破壊され、消滅してしまう. すべてがもともとこの世に存在しない一瞬の幻想なのだから

Anveeroy

A basic pop album. Did 1989 create any impact? uhu!  

Stream Kylie-Janet Discographies!

PopThatArt

This is just pure idiocy verging on just plain moronic and proves foolishness. Do you not remember all the f-cking attention media gave it? This just proves what I've long known, nothing is good enough for certain people on here, if you think 1989 is underrated even though media gave it so much attention and people were acting like it was the damn holy grail, it proves your comments about Joanne and Gaga's work are just dumb and plain ridiculous. 1989 is the most overrated album in the past decade next to that pile of shiz Beyonce released. Nothing is good enough for some of you, threads like just prove any comment about Gaga being a flop and Joanne being bad are unfounded and completely unjustifiable and pure bullSHI T. BYE! Oh, and 1989 is a freakin' terrible album full of Max Martin's generic shiz that he steals from other people, tries to pass off as his own. He is disgusting and a terrible producer. The sound is completely recycled from the 2008, 2009 europop sound along with beats and melodies stolen from rock songs of the 70s and 80s. 

Go see A Star is Born

Archived