Joker 2 Out October 4th Banner
opinion

Why is Gaga less theatrical this era?

Helxig

Featured Posts

Helxig

Here's my theory guys. I know it's long, but please stick with me.

So, Aside from the obvious (struggling a lot in the past to keep up with the standards she'd set for herself for fear of disappointing people, snapping under pressure, and not caring anymore etc) this is what I think:

Basically, she's tried for years to get the world to see the artist behind the imagery. She's striven to be freely creative, while also trying to show that she has passion, integrity, intelligence, compassion, and above all: talent. But her efforts have for the most part fallen on deaf ears to the GP. They're so easily confused and distracted by the art, because not everyone understands art and theater.

Marina Abramovic (one of her few 'mentors' and friends who saved her from a downward spiral in her earlier career) once told her: that in order for the average person to appreciate all that she does, she must show them the human being behind the artist. Because if she doesn't, they will continue to treat her like something inhuman. This is the reason she stripped naked at the artRAVE every show and did a quick change in front of everyone. Showing everyone the magicians trick behind the magic.

I think Joanne is her effort to extend on this. 

She said during a radio interview in 2016: “Every single song, every one of those is extremely autobiographical and all about me" and this is very true. Joanne tells stories of her struggles throughout her career.  But this is where it could get interesting:

Now that we know that the music videos are all connected, I think that the music videos are a way to tell the GP, all the people who were never willing to listen before, her life story, her autobiography. In a way that is more easily digestible than her past stuff, which was brimming with metaphors, artistic references, and loud imagery. 

Now between PI and MR we have been shown that she's struggled with her career and love life, had a breakdown, and been picked back up by her friends and family, and she's still sticking around. If the next music video is, for example, Diamond heart, it could show her past and all the effort and struggle she put in in the first place to get to where she is.

And this would show the GP who she is, where she came from, and what she's been through, delivered in a way where they are all willing to listen, watch, and understand. Because we all know that they are loving this album and finally paying attention to her and giving her the recognition she deserves.

Also, extra theory: I think once she's done all the music videos for this era they will eventually explain to the public why she's so artist and different. She might be finally get to show the world why she is Crazyga, what she's done to become Crazyga, and why she loves being Crazyga.

If she succeeds, then in the future she will be able to be her CrazyGa self, without all the backlash from the GP, because they will finally understand her in the way that we have for years.

I'll be myself until they fūcking close the coffin.

Helxig
6 minutes ago, KinneyUnderYou said:

giphy.gif

I say let her tell her story to the whoooole world and not just her fans! Let the general public get an understanding of who she is and whyyy she does what she does! Let her beeee! Ameeeeenah!

MonsterOfSpain

She already showed the "human underneath" during the ARTPOP era, that's not an excuse for how boring and dull the Joanne era is. I can't with that excuse of "autobiographical" music videos, is there anything autobiographical about the Million Reasons video? It's just lack of creativity and lazyness, in my opinion. 

I also think some of her single choices are relevant too.

Million Reasons is really the first slow, ballad type song that she has released as a single and I think in order to do justice to the song it needs to be a little stripped back.

We saw from the VS fashion show the difference between her performance of MR and her medley of AY-O/John Wayne. We saw choreography and we saw her end by having wings spread out from her back.

We can see a similar thing with her SNL performances. AY-O featured her in a sparkling outfit doing choreography and writhing around and posing on the floor. MR on the other hand featured her on the piano.

I'd expect there to be a greater return to her theatrical routes as the era develops, but it's no doubt a conscious decision from her to tone down a little. I think she is in a different space and I think that she wanted to go in a different direction with this album, rather than rehash the same electro-pop sound and whacky costumes we have seen from The Fame-ARTPOP.

7 minutes ago, MonsterOfSpain said:

She already showed the "human underneath" during the ARTPOP era, that's not an excuse for how boring and dull the Joanne era is. I can't with that excuse of "autobiographical" music videos, is there anything autobiographical about the Million Reasons video? It's just lack of creativity and lazyness, in my opinion. 

Well people had no idea that ARTPOP existed, and didn't understand the message. So with Joanne it's easier to understand the message - that she's just a woman who has the same struggles as us.

MonsterOfSpain
Just now, vocalqueef said:

Well people had no idea that ARTPOP existed, and didn't understand the message. So with Joanne it's easier to understand the message - that she's just a woman who has the same struggles as us.

Well I don't agree in the idea that she has to minimize her artistry and creativity in order to get the GP to "understand" what she's doing. She should be doing what she wants and not trying to apply to the GP's interests. Who cares if they don't get her work? The moment they liked her was the moment she was giving no ****s about them, just doing what her heart told her.

Helxig
9 minutes ago, MonsterOfSpain said:

1 minute ago, vocalqueef said:

ARTPOP was still extremely loud, poppy, metaphorical, artistic, and all around difficult for the public to look at, listen to, and understand. She tried, and it didn't go over well. This is her time to do it the right way. A very well thought out and executed way. And she is getting their attention too. After her performance at the Royal Variey Gala alone I had 5 people who aren't Gaga fans tell me about the performance. It's working this time.

MonsterOfSpain
1 minute ago, Helxig said:

ARTPOP was still extremely loud, poppy, metaphorical, artistic, and all around difficult for the public to look at, listen to, and understand. She tried, and it didn't go over well. This is her time to do it the right way. A very well thought out and executed way. And she is getting their attention too. After her performance at the Royal Variey Gala alone I had 5 people who aren't Gaga fans tell me about the performance. It's working this time.

2 minutes ago, MonsterOfSpain said:

Well I don't agree in the idea that she has to minimize her artistry and creativity in order to get the GP to "understand" what she's doing. She should be doing what she wants and not trying to apply to the GP's interests. Who cares if they don't get her work? The moment they liked her was the moment she was giving no ****s about them, just doing what her heart told her.

Helxig
1 minute ago, MonsterOfSpain said:

If you won't even try to understand a different view than your own tunnel vision, then I'm not even going to try to talk to you.

The Surrealist

A key moment for my understanding of Gaga is the iTunes Festival right before she sang Swine. She takes off her wig and makeup, her crazy clothes, just a white shirt and drumsticks. She said that she wants the world to see the girl behind the aura. 

I think she got sick of wearing crazy stuff.

I would encourage this idea if she didn't still wear crazy clothes/makeup and change her appearance.

It isn't "autenthic". She needs to stick to an idea or don't do it all. Because nobody understands her convoluted ideas of herself.

Luxe Ford

Maybe this whole era is just a palate cleanser so she can start again with a fresh canvas. Or maybe it isn't. Maybe it's just...ugh...aging and maturing.

In my opinion she was never *crazy*, just filterless. And I'd hate for her to feel the need to filter herself. And I cringe at the term crazyga. I know I used it myself, but it still makes me cringe.

We'll just have to wait and see. I have my hopes up for LG9 and menopausal Gaga.

What happens in Luxe Ford stays in Luxe Ford

warhol killer

Maybe this is her Red and Blue but in Gaga form

Ready for that The Fame in 2018 with Disco Funk and Psychedlic Rock realness

:ladyhaha: yeah right :ladyhaha:

warhol killer ✴ GAGA¹⁵

Helxig
9 minutes ago, Luxe Ford said:

Maybe this whole era is just a palate cleanser so she can start again with a fresh canvas. Or maybe it isn't. Maybe it's just...ugh...aging and maturing.

In my opinion she was never *crazy*, just filterless. And I'd hate for her to feel the need to filter herself. And I cringe at the term crazyga. I know I used it myself, but it still makes me cringe.

We'll just have to wait and see. I have my hopes up for LG9 and menopausal Gaga.

Yes thank you for saying all of that! I've been feeling that too. That she's cleansing and starting over. She's said many times that she'd be happy being back where she started. She even went back to dive bars to start off this era, which could be her sort of creative way of 'starting from the beginning'.

I agree so much. She was filterless. She did what she wanted at the time. And she is now doing what she wants to do at this moment in time. And I only used the term Crazyga really because I wanted to convey my message in a way that people here would understand. (ha, omg. Like Gaga is doing with her career)

At the end of the day she is still a performer at heart. She might just around genres and her looks might drastically change, but at the core she's the same. The Joanne tour will kick ass I know it. The fans just need to put some trust and patience in her.

Archived