Video Premiere: Lady Gaga - Million Reasons

GagaStan95

Featured Posts

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chiunzhan
45 minutes ago, MahoTheMnstr said:

But y'all wanted Million Reasons as a single :nails:  (imagine A-Yo :giveup:)  

I like the video but I'll forget about it, doesn't feel like a music video to me maybe cause i'm not really into slow songs 

It would have been the Joanne Apple commercial non-stop.

Wow the negativity here is way unnecessary. God forbid she have a simple video for a simple song. Some of you are very high maintenance and entitled. Gross. :reductive:

I personally love the video. It's heartfelt and honest. A breakup isn't beautiful, there is no need to sugarcoat it. I understand that we low key expected a huge plot, but Gaga has been very regular lately and I'm loving it.

metalguru

Attention please! A fair criticism of Gaga:

I am not trying to spread negativity. Lady GaGa means so much to me. She is in my top1o artists alongside with big names like Kate Bush, Suede, David Bowie, Klaus Nomi etc. Yes, I love pop but I am more into alternative/glam/new romantic type of music. Gaga is somehow different. I am sure that after 20 years from now indie bars will play Bad Romance right after for example The Cure, Friday I'm in Love. She is the frontier of 2010's. Or is she?

I love Gaga because her references are more then top40 success. I can see all the great artists in her yet she is unique. She is Gaga! And I think critics and people are so jealous of her because she is the future. Critics were skeptical about my favorite rock band Suede in 90's but now they are legends. OR   David Bowie. People glamorized him or hated him. Yes, ARTPOP was messy but it was also small piece of masterpiece. Clear the tracklist, make it 11 songs of an album, different singles, get rid of Marina and all the other rich peoples behind the picture and then you have your manic pop craziness with Greek Gods and Andy Warhol. Same for Born This Way. There will be no song like Marry the Night.

ANYWAY.

Maybe Gaga is really tired of people's skepticism over her and she is holding on her own story. Now, it is all about her father's restaurant or her voice. I think the idea of stripped down Gaga is a necessity and good but the product is really disappointing. If these songs are her "emotional" songs I am utterly  sad. She obsessed with her voice. Yes, voice is important but pop music is not just about voice. As a results, right now she is always singing with higher notes, nearly screaming, in a silly way via 80s heavy metal bands like Scorpion or something. Hush, Gaga and sing us a lullaby. She was the queen of maximalist, grand pop songs. I was waiting multi layered sad songs or real, cold melodies with a simpler vocals. We all love Gaga but Million Reasons or Angel Down are not even near to her ambitions.

Speaking of ambitions, she is talking about Bowie constantly yet she is not fully acting under his influence. Maybe a record company press over her? I don't know. But my expectations from Gaga was different: She didn't really choose to be fearless like Bowie or she didn't choose the shameless but brilliant pop sensibility. The results are underwhelming. 

I am getting sad when I see Beyonce or Frank Ocean all over the year end lists. I am not a big fan of their musics. Beyonce has 5 different samples from Led Zeppelin to godknowswho in a 4 min song. Yet we celebrate her as a new frontier. In an atmosphere like now, Million Reasons is an example of identity crisis as a worst possible way. I am sorry but I think her voice in this song and the song itself is pretty forgettable. I know it is my idea and I don't want to dictate to anybody but all i am trying to say is Gaga is bigger than all of these songs. 

The video... Her acting... Guys, you should read Glam and Awe book by writer Simon Reynolds. It is a long, beautiful book on glam rock and fame. Reynolds loves Gaga and his ideas about Gaga are really accurate. Glam is all about lies. You lie to yourself and the world that you are the biggest star on earth then you become one. Bowie, Marc Bolan or Prince... They all gave us lies as a ticket to their world. Even Gaga said that how much she loves lies/dellusions/illusions many time in her early career.

So, Million Reasons and the message behind is probably an another "lie" (I use "lie" as and idea) but it is a very blank one. She is a great actor (check Marry the Night) but she cannot even act in the video. Front of the mirror scenes are just off. There are many examples of simple and personal videos with a limited budget but this one is not one of them. It is just an example of crisis.

I can discuss about Joanne as a whole some other time but I wish a) She goes back to her ambition b) as a "simple" Gaga, she puts more ideas/melodies/visuals into her products.

She needs to be frontier again. And it doesn't mean she needs to go back to Just Dance type of music. 

doja scat

Wow thank god I watched the video before coming to this forum to see people bitching about it being "boring". 

What did you expect her to do in the video? 

I loved the story of it and it's very heartfelt. It's a shame some of you don't see through what is shown. 

don’t get stabbed with the (b)rat tooth

Thomas P

I wanted to like it so much but I legit hate it. Like it's worse than any video she's ever done. I might even say that the **** show that awas Make Me is better.

I’m a simple guy to please, if you like Melodrama, we chill.

alejandreaux

the only part I didn't like was the Apple Music commercial parts tbh. I did expect more from the whole thing but overall I thought the mirror scenes were cute, and same with the desert scenes. I do wish there was more of a plot going on and less of the posing with her guitar scenes. overall I think you guys are immensely overreacting with how much you seem to hate it tho... :diane: she has been very open about her mental illnesses (depression and anxiety) and I know the last thing she needs is for us to all turn on her at once just because we didn't like one video. 

Daenerys

I don't know what to do. I'm still not used to this era. I feel like I'm standing in a room of old Fame Monster, Born This Way and ARTPOP eccentrics that are wearing away and looking out of a window and seeing nothing. I don't feel a connection to this era one bit and more so after this video. I get it though. This is her, what she wants to be at the moment and how she feels. Gagz, I feel you honey. But I feel like you don't feel me. We were the losers, rebels, art geeks who found a voice in pop culture and now that voice is trying to please the jocks and cheerleaders and their republican parents I feel like that string she had to us at the bottom has gone. 

Sorry, guys. I needed a little rant. The album is good, don't get me wrong, but it's just not something I'm used to, I guess. This doesn't mean I'm leaving or not supporting this era. I am, I'm just disappointed. 

Daenerys of the House Targaryen, the First of Her Name, The Unburnt, Queen of the Andals, the Rhoynar and the First Men, Queen of Meereen

3 minutes ago, MJHolland said:

Anybody that expected anything great to come out of a mediocre country album from Lady Gaga of all artists set themselves up from day 1.

That's the T.

This. :reductive:

4 minutes ago, Weasel said:

If she wants us to see her story of her life she can release a documentary. I want a music video to match with you know, the music. A 3 min Vevo music video is not the place to show your life on a deeper level. 

The problem in your idea is that each one of her songs is part of her story. Plus each video did match the song. 

• Haroon locked this topic

Archived