The Needle Drop: Joanne review (6/10)

Stef

Featured Posts

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
monsterdino
2 minutes ago, CowSiss said:

I know, but why does he seem to think that pop music is so lowbrow, which it will never be. That's what has me reeling because he finds pop music so low tier compared to others; pop music can be just as good as any alternative, non-mainstream artist or group. There is a craft to any and all genres of music, so why hate on Joanne because of its pop nature is my question? :madge::madge::madge::madge::madge:

I see his points, but Joanne really is an album worth a 7/10, not continual 6/10s we have been seeing

I find most of pop music being bad, lyric wise and produce wise, but there are some excuses obviously

AlexanderMagno

Watch the whole video, he gives it a strong 6. His review is very good, he's very respectful of her work.

2 minutes ago, CowSiss said:

I know, but why does he seem to think that pop music is so lowbrow, which it will never be. That's what has me reeling because he finds pop music so low tier compared to others; pop music can be just as good as any alternative, non-mainstream artist or group. There is a craft to any and all genres of music, so why hate on Joanne because of its pop nature is my question? :madge::madge::madge::madge::madge:

If he considered pop music lowbrow, he wouldn't review Born This Way, ARTPOP or Born This Way. He has never considered pop an inferior type of music, ever. He's very open minded.

He didn't "hate" Joanne at all.

And he raised the "pop nature" of the songs only in the light of Gaga's will of embracing a new direction. Anyway, his review is very good and in the end not only he gave a strong 6 but he's obviously very curious to follow her.

Neight Shayde

REALLY LOVED this review even if it's a 6/10. I wanted a 7/10 from him but I can totally see why he didn't.

I totally agree with how it looks like she's not fully committed to the genre she's doing, but she said it herself, it's still POP but with a different outfit (rock, folk, country). 

Do any of you think it's possible for her to abandon POP in an album and fully committ to a genre she wants? I think there's a huge side to her that's kind of hesitant because she knows that fans might get dissapointed. Idk.

still her best album in my opinion :)

Thomas P

AP and not posted under right tag. We shouldn't keep posting it everywhere because this bitch dragged good sis Diamond Heart and gave the album a 6.

I’m a simple guy to please, if you like Melodrama, we chill.

Neight Shayde

REALLY LOVED this review even if it's a 6/10. I wanted a 7/10 from him but I can totally see why he didn't.

I totally agree with how it looks like she's not fully committed to the genre she's doing, but she said it herself, it's still POP but with a different outfit (rock, folk, country). 

Do any of you think it's possible for her to abandon POP in an album and fully committ to a genre she wants? I think there's a huge side to her that's kind of hesitant because she knows that fans might get dissapointed. Idk.

still her best album in my opinion

Bette Davis

One annoying theme that I've noticed in many Joanne reviews, including this one, is how they assume that she was attempting to completely shift away from pop into something different (indie, country, rock, funk, or something else) when she has stated herself that she is still doing pop but infusing it with other genres. Then they run off with this misguided assumption and butcher her for what they see as basically a "half-assed attempt to be something she isn't." 

Annoying af :interestinga::koons::saladga::cryga::madge::oprah::reductive::awkney::neyde:

Cold as ice cream, but still as sweet.

Voltaire

6 is too low. 

I am not sure I agree with him that authenticity requires a strict commitment to a specific genre. Americana as a genre is a blend of all the styles she's done on this record. 

I'd have been fine with a 7. Thrilled by an 8. Startled by a 9. 

Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker

You don't have to 'commit' to a genre, in fact NOT committing to one is MORE artistically true because she's doing what she wants without the need for a basic label.

monsterdino
10 minutes ago, destinyofself said:

hes a mess and comes off so pretentious, a 6? reallyyyy 

Did u watch the video or did u just saw the title being (6/10)?

Archived