opinion

Don't blame the critics

Jed

Featured Posts

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, A Gaga Lad said:

And who said I hated the mixed reviews? I only ever spoke strongly against the 40 and the 50 score it received. Why are you pinning my opinion on the negatively biased ones on the mixed reception that I never really called out?

you said "I actually read the negative reviews, thank you very much for your hasty uneducated conclusion--they mention so much about Gaga's past eras and character and give only fleeting descriptions in the actual songs and how they are "unfocused/flop/inauthentic" without actually telling why. "

And I - several times over at this point - have said that I don't disagree that the really negative ones do just what you're saying. My entire point was that you can't take every Gaga criticism as a conspiracy or overwhelmingly biased opinion. By you I didn't mean you I meant the really whiny fans

Just now, Jester said:

LOL if it was an Adele or Beyonce record it would have all 90s and 100s

Adele has never gotten a score that high?

3 minutes ago, jajagaga1896 said:

a wholly unnecessary group and occupation. Everyone's a critic! 

Exactly! which is why LMs shouldn't pitch a fit over something so menial

8 minutes ago, AntiPotCrusader said:

Send me to an alternate reality where Joanne is a Beyoncé album and watch me prove you wrong. I think critical bias is obvious. 

Lol so even your response to my comment is based in an impossible situation? You're basically making my argument for me

DeanWinchester
2 minutes ago, Jed said:

you said "I actually read the negative reviews, thank you very much for your hasty uneducated conclusion--they mention so much about Gaga's past eras and character and give only fleeting descriptions in the actual songs and how they are "unfocused/flop/inauthentic" without actually telling why. "

And I - several times over at this point - have said that I don't disagree that the really negative ones do just what you're saying. My entire point was that you can't take every Gaga criticism as a conspiracy or overwhelmingly biased opinion. By you I didn't mean you I meant the really whiny fans

Well of course not. I was even telling others in that thread there is no conspiracy

Flyin' like a 1000 Doves

Just now, A Gaga Lad said:

Well of course not. I was even telling others in that thread there is no conspiracy

exactly that's why i included the last sentence in my last reply so you could know I didn't mean you :) 

jajagaga1896
1 minute ago, Jed said:

Exactly! which is why LMs shouldn't pitch a fit over something so menial

You're right, it really is so menial at the end of the day. Joanne is still the same amazing album it was before the critics got to it. It can be interesting to see where they lie in terms of perspective, but ultimately it is meaningless. 

Not that any of it matters, but I would say the rating on something like ITunes has more actual weight than any critic's reception. That is a rating combined of many people who are listening to the music, so it gives a more realistic perception of what the general consensus is. In this case, Joanne is doing extraordinarily well. A few snobbish opinions of particular critics here and there really is nothing more than a way to fill up a newspaper. 

EdgeofTeeth

If one can't recognize that MANY critics have a rather blatant bias against Gaga, that person may need to reevaluate...

I'm not someone that delusionally praises my faves or doesn't know how to accept criticism, and I totally get that Joanne isn't everyone's cup of tea. That being said, MANY of these reviews focus on Gaga as a person and not the music that she's making. If anything, the music itself is glossed over in a lot of these reviews and then the rest focuses on what they view as her past "failures."

Just now, EdgeofTeeth said:

If one can't recognize that MANY critics have a rather blatant bias against Gaga, that person may need to reevaluate...

I'm not someone that delusionally praises my faves or doesn't know how to accept criticism, and I totally get that Joanne isn't everyone's cup of tea. That being said, MANY of these reviews focus on Gaga as a person and not the music that she's making. If anything, the album is mentioned in a lot of these reviews and then the rest focuses on what they view as her past "failures."

Absolutely I agree 100 percent.

I think if say 40 reviews were done we would find more of an even distribution but still Gaga is tainted, I'll never deny that

doppelganger

I honestly could care less about the reviews. I do read them but they don't form my opinions on what i like.

Joanne and the Dive Bar Tour proves that Gaga is an authentic musician and possibly the most charismatic pop star of our generation. She may not be "flawless" but that she has a diamond heart. 

I'm super proud of Gaga this time. It's her first album that I consider truly fantastic. 

12 minutes ago, doppelganger said:

I honestly could care less about the reviews. I do read them but they don't form my opinions on what i like.

Joanne and the Dive Bar Tour proves that Gaga is an authentic musician and possibly the most charismatic pop star of our generation. She may not be "flawless" but that she has a diamond heart. 

I'm super proud of Gaga this time. It's her first album that I consider truly fantastic. 

and even better she made the album she wanted to make and her voice sounds amazing. How thats not enough for some people is beyond me

doppelganger
14 minutes ago, Jed said:

and even better she made the album she wanted to make and her voice sounds amazing. How thats not enough for some people is beyond me

What matters is Gaga is  respected among her peers - musicians and singers. 

Mikebristow

Its close to The Fame on Metacritic. If reviewers stayed away from trying to analyze  Gagas personal life and trying to be cute and original it prob would be even higher.

LadyGagasGodSon

Most critics are really just ironic towards Gaga. They want her to evolve BUT only within the range of her dance pop/electronic/avant-garde introduction. It's as if she has this niche they want her to keep fulfilling, it's so weird lol. It's more than just putting her in a box, it's really more on the fact like they want to be able to praise her in their own terms. Like they praise her for breaking the mould yet they write her off within a specific mould (of the blonde pop star). Her artistic trajectory is upsetting their personal projections of where it should be so they're just like "omg this season 5 should have been like this or like that because seasons 1-4 did this and that blah blah blah..." :nails: Just Another Day :music: (as Lady Gaga)

You are small men. You are not worthy to rule the Dothraki.

Archived