Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

PI is a grower and Gaga knows it

lucastecala

Featured Posts

lucastecala

Let's just stop and recognize one thing: WE are not the ones who have been remaining one of the key elements of a bilionaire industry for almost a decade. That's Gaga. She has been doing it, so give her some credit. 

That said, think with me: this single was produced by one of the greatest popstars of all time, along side one the most important and sucessful producers in music industry nowadays (Mark), one of the most respected musician in the industry (Kevin), and one of the hottest, most promissing and disputed producers in pop, Bloodpop. So I can't help but wonder that they knew exactly what would be said about the song, positively and negatively. On the negative side, especially, the arguments are pretty obvious, so its not possible that among the three of them, they didn't know what would be said. 

"PI is repetitive"

"PI is too noisy"

"PI is too short"

"PI should have some down tempo moments so that it has nuance"

I mean, those three haven't started producing music yesterday. So my opinion is: they knew what people would say on the negative side. And they did it that way deliberatly. Because they know right now we're in the descending moment of a musical trend. Its time for a new one to arise. Gaga was never one to follow the trends. She is always the one to set them. Like she has done before. So of course she knew that it would have a mixed reception at first: it's fresh and new, weird even, people are not used to it they're adestrated to enjoy soft/tropical edm with the likes of Bieber and Rihanna, so at first PI will sound to a great deal of them like an explosion. Like it is too much. That's too be expected. It happened to me. 

Obviously I loved it at first. But then I read some bad comments and kind of got sick of it, like I was overwhelmed in a bad way. It was sounding aggressive. As I continued to listen to it this morning though, it just started feeling natural, like it fit my need for music perfectly. It was like trying on pants you've had for a while, but didn't wear because you were overwheight and trying them again to discover that this time it fits me perfectly. What Gaga is doing is a bit of counterculture, actually.    

Some people are underwhelmed because they're listening to the song under the criteria of the old paradigm. And perfect illusion belongs of a new paradigm. What Gaga and Bobby need to do now, and perhaps what ARTPOP lacked, is make sure that the single keeps present in peoples lives. Playlist, radios, TV Shows, Performances, so that people have time to get used to it. 

The other person doing this in the industry in a completely different way is Beyoncé. That's way she has renounced the singles charts for good. She knows vanguard will never fit in charts singles. Because it just starts to make sense when you're able to take a step back and get some perspective, see the full picture. And Beyoncé, despite not having a number one single in years, has much more cultural impact than any other sensation single of the moment. Please, who will remember "Closer" 6 months from now?

I'm routing for PI to debut well, of course. But honestly, I would prefer Gaga to remain on the vanguard any day over being the sensation single of the moment.

VANTABLACK

Ok

Edit : I kind of agree . The way monsters are acting is sad . Stop obsessing over sales number and charts . The music will speak for it's self . It's all looking desperate at this point . If u like the song listen to it if u don't then shut up . 

I thought Gaga said she was gonna change fan culture with this era  :awkney:

zexion_armando

You are really reaching with those Mark and Bloodpop comments.

grower is a defense that Stockholm syndrome will take effect 

BABBLYON
2 minutes ago, Steven said:

It's a grower but not insanely addictive.

Say that to my iTunes which says I've listened to the song 51 times already and it's only been out for 40 hours meaning i've wasted 2 of the 40 hours of my life listening to this song :laughga: i have no life help

I kind of agree. I dont personally like the song, but I think it could grow on others. I agree that all 4 of those involved in the creation of this song are talented and smart individuals that know what they are doing. I also agree that Beyonce is a good example of an artist whose output does not own the singles charts or radio, but has massive impact. Gaga is capable of something similar albeit probably not to the same intense extent. As long as they keep pushing it on people like every other artist does with their leads, im sure it will do fine.

lucastecala
8 minutes ago, VANTABLACK said:

Ok

Edit : I kind of agree . The way monsters are acting is sad . Stop obsessing over sales number and charts . The music will speak for it's self . It's all looking desperate at this point . If u like the song listen to it if u don't then shut up . 

I thought Gaga said she was gonna change fan culture with this era  :awkney:

THIS! PREACH!

lucastecala
5 minutes ago, zexion_armando said:

You are really reaching with those Mark and Bloodpop comments.

grower is a defense that Stockholm syndrome will take effect 

ok

Speechless94
12 minutes ago, lucastecala said:

Let's just stop and recognize one thing: WE are not the ones who have been remaining one of the key elements of a bilionaire industry for almost a decade. That's Gaga. She has been doing it, so give her some credit. 

That said, think with me: this single was produced by one of the greatest popstars of all time, along side one the most important and sucessful producers in music industry nowadays (Mark), one of the most respected musician in the industry (Kevin), and one of the hottest, most promissing and disputed producers in pop, Bloodpop. So I can't help but wonder that they knew exactly what would be said about the song, positively and negatively. On the negative side, especially, the arguments are pretty obvious, so its not possible that among the three of them, they didn't know what would be said. 

"PI is repetitive"

"PI is too noisy"

"PI is too short"

"PI should have some down tempo moments so that it has nuance"

I mean, those three haven't started producing music yesterday. So my opinion is: they knew what people would say on the negative side. And they did it that way deliberatly. Because they know right now we're in the descending moment of a musical trend. Its time for a new one to arise. Gaga was never one to follow the trends. She is always the one to set them. Like she has done before. So of course she knew that it would have a mixed reception at first: it's fresh and new, weird even, people are not used to it they're adestrated to enjoy soft/tropical edm with the likes of Bieber and Rihanna, so at first PI will sound to a great deal of them like an explosion. Like it is too much. That's too be expected. It happened to me. 

Obviously I loved it at first. But then I read some bad comments and kind of got sick of it, like I was overwhelmed in a bad way. It was sounding aggressive. As I continued to listen to it this morning though, it just started feeling natural, like it fit my need for music perfectly. It was like trying on pants you've had for a while, but didn't wear because you were overwheight and trying them again to discover that this time it fits me perfectly. What Gaga is doing is a bit of counterculture, actually.    

Some people are underwhelmed because they're listening to the song under the criteria of the old paradigm. And perfect illusion belongs of a new paradigm. What Gaga and Bobby need to do now, and perhaps what ARTPOP lacked, is make sure that the single keeps present in peoples lives. Playlist, radios, TV Shows, Performances, so that people have time to get used to it. 

The other person doing this in the industry in a completely different way is Beyoncé. That's way she has renounced the singles charts for good. She knows vanguard will never fit in charts singles. Because it just starts to make sense when you're able to take a step back and get some perspective, see the full picture. And Beyoncé, despite not having a number one single in years, has much more cultural impact than any other sensation single of the moment. Please, who will remember "Closer" 6 months from now?

I'm routing for PI to debut well, of course. But honestly, I would prefer Gaga to remain on the vanguard any day over being the sensation single of the moment.

Honestly one of the best things I've read here and I can't agree more. Fantastic post. The same thing happened with Just Dance in 2008. We were at the cusp of a new trend. The old one (Hip Hop pop - a la Black Eyed Pees / Sean Kingston / Fergie / Nelly Furtado / Sean Paul / Old Rihanna ) was dying and Gaga made way for Electro Pop and Dance Music. 

Britney, Katy, Ariana, Meghan, even Nicki...can all thank her for that.

For the last three years, Dance music as evolved into mainstream EDM and Hip Hop into trap creating the likes of Hotline Bling, Sorry, Lean On. 

However, its old. Everything sounds the same, the same way everything sounded stale in 2008. 

It's time for a change, a new trend. 

Bring on Perfect Illusion and Pop Electro Rock. Some soul is needed in the Top 40

Archived