Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Perfect Illusion: A drug anthem

jojuun

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, jojuun said:

And since when is Gaga "pretty standard"? Using drugs as a metaphor, unless done with a clear warning sign, in pop culture, is stupid. We Found Love, especially with the video, could also be seen as a song about a relationship on drugs. It doesn't openly reference it lyrically, but in the video it's clear. But Rihanna comes back to reality in the video, sees what she's doing, physically pukes, takes her bags and leaves and THAT is the end of the video.

And WHY even bother going back to the drug reference AT ALL? Haven't we gotten enough of it? Wasn't MTN the "most personal song and video" ever? Why do it now? Is she back on drugs?

This is sad tbh. And I can't believe some of you would defend this. As long as you get the bops, right? Screw the fact Gaga might self-destruct or make it "cooler" for some kid out there...

Marry-the-Night-Music-Video-lady-gaga-27

Addiction is something that stays with people for a REALLY ****ing long time. Honestly - grow the **** up. Fall in love and get broken? You can relate. Dealt with  addiction somewhere in your family/own life? You can relate. 

worship to the land a girl from the planet

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, BrianxRyan said:

You are giving me Judas vibes when the news thought she actually was worshipping Judas and the devil. She is obviously comparing herself to the drug and I already explained to you. You are reaching for some odd reason.

And I already explained it back to you, you could have a point (even tho a really, really tiny, reach-y point) if it was just the "like amphetamines" part. And only because there's the "LIKE" in front of it and not something else. But like I explained to YOU the "I still feel the blow" leaves no room for debate. It is about drugs and it is a clear and open reference that in this song, she and her lover were high as hell and she woke up one day, sober and saw it was just a chemical love, a perfect illusion...

I am not reaching... You are talking her out of a clear and open drug reference because of the word "like" and dare to call me reaching?

You take it or leave it, but you can't narrate what Lady Gaga will write nor say in her very own and personal songs.

The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

2 minutes ago, Brad Phillips said:

Addiction is something that stays with people for a REALLY ****ing long time. Honestly - grow the **** up. 

LMAO you are reversing the roles here.

I am not denying addiction is a very real thing and that it doesn't stay with people for a long time. And I AM a grown-up. But I have had a boyfriend who was into drugs. Who one day took so much that he went into cardiac arrest. And he died. And he was 24. And I am not here for "the mother of all outcasts", "the mother of gays" publicly using cocaine and MDMA as metaphors for her #1 hit single.

It's romanticizing it. She said it herself in the clip I posted in the OP. 

So why are you getting upset with ME? She shouldn't be using it as a metaphor so publicly on her highly anticipated first single in YEARS. 

If it's a part of her - deep down in her soul like 99.9% of people who deal with addiction - then it will be a vital part of her expression. It has to be. If it feels the most real to her, then so be it. 

worship to the land a girl from the planet

2 minutes ago, Brad Phillips said:

If it's a part of her - deep down in her soul like 99.9% of people who deal with addiction - then it will be a vital part of her expression. It has to be. If it feels the most real to her, then so be it. 

It's still a poor excuse to use it as a metaphor, when she credits that coming to terms with the fact cocaine is "the white devil" and saying "I woke up and realized I was an assh*le for taking drugs" is what gave her the breakthrough in music... And those are not my words but hers, check the interview in the OP. 

The only way this could twist into something POSITIVE is if the song has a We Found Love-style video. That video is clearly about a relationship on drugs and Rihanna (in the video) taking her sh*t and leaving. THAT is a smart and responsible use of a drug reference. This is not. And it doesn't look like we are getting that WFL-like ending from Perfect Illusion, since the teasers show a massive rave...

Schwerk

Yes @jojuunshe's openly referencing cocaine and ecstasy, but she is talking about it in a negative way. How her love was a lie, just like the feelings you get from drugs are a deceiving lie. If anything this is not an add for drugs, it's a call against it, to be real and feel everything without numbing or blinding yourself.

According to Gaga I'm a ****ing rad bitch

Just now, Marjol said:

Yes @jojuun she's openly referencing cocaine and ecstasy, but she is talking about it in a negative way. How her love was a lie, just like the feelings you get from drugs are a deceiving lie. If anything this is not an add for drugs, it's a call against it, to be real and feel everything without numbing or blinding yourself.

I can only hope for that. I hope she makes that very clear in an interview or in the video. I am deeply saddened by this for now. But I do like the song sonically... I didn't expect to have a "dislike" about this song. Her vocals are AMAZING and the production is ace... That drug paragraph really messes me up. I wanna jump on the hype train like all of the other fans but the drug reference... Why Gags why... :ohno:

Schwerk
2 minutes ago, jojuun said:

I can only hope for that. I hope she makes that very clear in an interview or in the video. I am deeply saddened by this for now. But I do like the song sonically... I didn't expect to have a "dislike" about this song. Her vocals are AMAZING and the production is ace... That drug paragraph really messes me up. I wanna jump on the hype train like all of the other fans but the drug reference... Why Gags why... :ohno:

Don't worry too much about the drug thing. She has had her addicitions and she learned from them, and that's what this song expresses. She is an addict by nature, not just when it comes to drugs, but also in love. To me this song is about going 'cold turkey' after a love lost. Feeling like you've been fooling yourself for years, lost control, fell for a comfortable feeling that turned out not to be true.

According to Gaga I'm a ****ing rad bitch

ReidOne

@jojuun please tell me you are trolling by this point? Because this thread is a mess. You are trying to attack Gaga for using a metaphor (and a brilliant one at that). She's by no means promoting drug culture with this song. Please, stop.

ReidOne

@jojuun apologies for the late night read, but please try again when your avatar doesn't feature a woman with a rave-inspired dance album called 'MDNA'

....and you still claim to be bothered by Gaga using a drug metaphor. smh :classy:

MDN53975.jpg

giphy.gif

Archived