Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

What exactly is wrong with "Dope" vocals?

somnambulist

Featured Posts

LadyLuca

I love Dope. I dont really listen to it often but it helped me to cope with some things. Its has great lyrics

favorite part of the song :  "Im sorry and I love you"

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm disappointed she changed it form I Wanne Be With You but I still like it. I think people don't like her singing technique in the song.

Don't visit my profile

DAVID VOGUER

For how many times I have to say this? The song is IRONIC! Her vocals are like that because she likes drugs not the other way around!

"I can't live without you! I can't breathe without you! Without you I have nothing--yeah right!"

It's just like Alejandro on TMB2

They can't scare me, if I scare them first.

Some people just don't like that particular style meanwhile you and others do

What's so difficult to understand?

somnambulist
10 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It's not that it's a bad song...it's an emotional good song but I found IWBWY to be more relatable...specially the line "I'd rather be poor and happy than rich and alone" I think I got too used to IWBWY that I just don't find a conection with dope. My humble opinion:emma:

Oh that's fine, this has nothing to do with the actual song. Dope isn't going to be the most relatable song to a big audience, it has more to do with people complaining about the delivery of it. I think IWBWY was the "better song" too, but her voice in Dope is pretty stunning tbh.

CatelynnMarie

It put a bad taste in my mouth that IWBWY was replaced by it. I appreciate the meaning of the song, but it just wasn't really my thing. I have to be in a proper mood to hear it and 98% of the time I skip it when it comes on. The vocals are very, harsh and low, which yeah it matches the song, but I'm kind of meh about them. It's not bad at all, it's just not my taste. 

Granted I'm not really one for ballads at all either, so that's just me. 

Edonis
6 minutes ago, xdxrovied said:

the people that hate it for those reasons are the ones that can't and don't want to understand different kinds of music

:oprah: I'm sorry but this comment alone is why so many LMs are called pretentious and ridiculous. You don't like a song so suddenly you hate other genres/types of music :oprah:

Anyways to more riveting issues, on topic, the vocals are fine with the song as it conveys a dark deep message and she's supposed to sound broken. However, to people not understanding the story behind the song or why the song exists (you'd be surprised how many people didn't get the song's straightforward subject matter :madge:) it can seem as too theatric or whatever, which is a fine criticism I guess. 

My only issue is that unless the songs are that emotional or covering topics that dark (drug abuse, or in the case of rape like in TIHTY) it could seem repetitive and unnecessary to me. This is of course my opinion lol

SpookyKid

gays need a pop bubblegum voice to move their ass to :hor:

I love her voice, idc if it's low or high, as long as she delivers quality

Life has a hopeful undertone |-/

PaperIz

It sounds unnatural and forced. She sounds like she's trying way too hard to sound a certain way and it just comes off gruff and obnoxious. Love the song though

Reality

The problem, I suppose, are the vocals. Personally, I love them, and I've always loved them, I'm not so sure why people were/are hating on them all of a sudden when Dope was released—I mean, Bad Romance has similar vocals, yet no one's really saying anything about it. 

🃏🖤👹

iMonster

People will say because it's not "glamorous" vocals. Dope isn't Paparazzi type vocals or Venus style. But I think that's the beauty of the song. It's saw emotional and raw and truly shows her passion. 

Granted take his comment with a grain of song. I truly doubt the entire album will have her baring her vocals the entire length. 

We don't know yet but we'll have to see. 

Once again I'm here for it all except if it's Jazz. 

somnambulist
3 minutes ago, Harry said:

Some people just don't like that particular style meanwhile you and others do

What's so difficult to understand?

That's fine, I'm not going to change anyones opinion, but I honestly feel like the hate for the song is due to bandwagoning. You type "Dope vocals" and people have this visceral reaction and act like it's literally the worst thing in the world that could happen. It's exaggerated imo. The song is NOT that bad.

Sky del Blue

I've been asking myself the same question

I love the whole song including Gaga's vocals, they are so raw and emotional

Archived