Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
news

Exclusivity Deals promotes Piracy

Akiki

Featured Posts

Battle 4 Ur Life
Just now, Werk said:

I know that of course. I just hate paying.... these exclusives are just terrible :toofunny:

they ARE.

but you should still support ur faves by buying a physical copy. even if you wait until the price drops. U can buy Gaga's albums for 5 dollars or even less for example. it may not be much but it does make a difference. and for smaller acts it's like putting food on their table literally.

it makes me sad to think about it. the music industry has never been so depressing.

"We own the Downtown, hear our sound."

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ALGAYDO
2 minutes ago, KURUSHITOVSKA said:

I don't have any money too but literally 60% of what I get i spend it on music. I stream of course but the music i like the most, I always try to buy it

You spend 60% of your income on music? Wow, I wish that I had that luxury. Like 70% of my income goes to food, rent, and other necessities. The rest I split between savings and treat-yo'self-money lol so as you can see, people like me can't be going around  paying for every song and album that we love. Hence why streaming is so popular and why it may someday soon make things like iTunes and physical albums obsolete. 

42 minutes ago, pie-kun said:

Is there any numbers on the average number of illegal downloads a typical popular album gets vs. how much they sell? It's hard to know whether the number is significant unless we have something to compare it to. 

If this is news... do you need more info? If the number was irrelevant it wouldn't be news.

The whole article is about how this deals backfire.

The album was good and created lot of buzz and people went like "hm.. should I wait for this album to release on another platforms, subscribe AM or just download it illegaly?" 

It's almost 3.5x what he sold legally this week. The album debuted with 275k copies.

That multiplier is huge in any industry. 

KURUSHITOVSKA
1 minute ago, HOMODRAKE said:

You spend 60% of your income on music? Wow, I wish that I had that luxury. Like 70% of my income goes to food, rent, and other necessities. The rest I split between savings and treat-yo'self-money lol so as you can see, people like me can't be going around  paying for every song and album that we love. Hence why streaming is so popular and why it may someday soon make things like iTunes and physical albums obsolete. 

But don't take my words as if I was telling you YOU HAVE TO BUY MUSIC blah blah blah, of course I understand your situation and I'm sure you'll someday be able to buy it. I'm living with my mom and I haven't emancipated yet, so I can buy a bit of music (like 3 CDs every month) without having a lot of money, literally my income is 200€/month. :hug: if I could I'd be gifting CDs everyone

¿Qué currículum tiene ésta tarántula?

34 minutes ago, Werk said:

As much as I love music, I have never and want to buy music. I hate paying for music!!

Why?  That's how your faves are able to fund their music videos and tours. 

7 minutes ago, JGD said:

Why?  That's how your faves are able to fund their music videos and tours. 

I'm broke af :toofunny: 

22 minutes ago, myCD said:

they ARE.

but you should still support ur faves by buying a physical copy. even if you wait until the price drops. U can buy Gaga's albums for 5 dollars or even less for example. it may not be much but it does make a difference. and for smaller acts it's like putting food on their table literally.

it makes me sad to think about it. the music industry has never been so depressing.

What are the benefits of these exclusives though besides money?

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35587381

"Kanye West's latest album has already been illegally downloaded more than half a million times, estimates Torrent Freak."

"The new material appears twice in the controversial file-sharing site's top 10 music downloads, despite Kanye West himself tweeting that it would only be available on Tidal."

The level of piracy of The Life of Pablo is unusual, Ernesto from Torrent Freak told the BBC.

"Generally we don't track music releases closely, so I'm not calling any records," he said.

"However, I haven't seen numbers this high before for a music release - not with Adele either."

This is only to have an idea of the impact of this numbers. 500k copies are considered something unlikely to happen... This was in February.
We are in august and Ocean's Blonde was downloaded 250k more than that

Both were exclusive works. One from Tidal and the other of AM

8 minutes ago, Werk said:

I'm broke af :toofunny: 

What are the benefits of these exclusives though besides money?

Promoting the Service. This is something that some people can't see. They want to use artists work to promote their service and nothing more. They don't care if your album is downloaded 20million times for free and you go bankrupt after the deal. If you can give them more 5k users... they don't really care. 

Doing this doesn't even promote the artist cause they will be promoted anyway.
Even spotify promotes those who doesn't have exclusivity deals. AM will do the same. The bonus is that you get an early paycheck and you show up more times in the chosen service. 

The thing is... AM only have 15million users against 30million from spotify and without all the others services. This deals make the artist ignore more than 50% of the streaming market in the most important week... the week of release. The streaming audience can also download illegally if they want to without the need to pay for AM or any other service that holds the exclusivity of the content. 

They are paying to borrow your image to promote their service. It's a marketing deal, but one that differs from the ones we are used to see cause it deals with you main source of income (in this case music).

Gaga can make a deal with loreal, for example, to be their main face during this era, but that won't affect the access to her work. But when the deal is about the music, it does affect fans and potential buyers. 

Frank Ocean's case is even more problematic. His album was successful and had great reviews and that did translate somehow in his sales, but he lost 3.5x that number to piracy. 

Shipper
5 minutes ago, andresaramago said:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35587381

"Kanye West's latest album has already been illegally downloaded more than half a million times, estimates Torrent Freak."

"The new material appears twice in the controversial file-sharing site's top 10 music downloads, despite Kanye West himself tweeting that it would only be available on Tidal."

The level of piracy of The Life of Pablo is unusual, Ernesto from Torrent Freak told the BBC.

"Generally we don't track music releases closely, so I'm not calling any records," he said.

"However, I haven't seen numbers this high before for a music release - not with Adele either."

This is only to have an idea of the impact of this numbers. 500k copies are considered something unlikely to happen... This was in February.
We are in august and Ocean's Blonde was downloaded 250k more than that

Both were exclusive works. One from Tidal and the other of AM

I think the demographic supporting the album matters too and not just because it's exclusive. Adele got tons of sales because she caters to the older demographic. Well, more older people buy her music.

Statistically, people age 45 and over are the biggest BUYERS of music while younger demographics choose to stream and pirate it. I think this is the case for Frank Ocean's and Kanye's album. The younger generation simply had the choice to pirate it if it was not available for them.

Adele's demographic simply does not know how to pirate music, (mostly) while people who like frank ocean and kanye could just pirate it. I dont't know whats the similarity with frank ocean and kanye though.

💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕

1 minute ago, Shipper said:

I think the demographic supporting the album matters too and not just because it's exclusive. Adele got tons of sales because she caters to the older demographic. Well, more older people buy her music.

Statistically, people age 45 and over are the biggest BUYERS of music while younger demographics choose to stream and pirate it. I think this is the case for Frank Ocean's and Kanye's album. The younger generation simply had the choice to pirate it if it was not available for them.

Adele's demographic simply does not know how to pirate music, (mostly) while people who like frank ocean and kanye could just pirate it. I dont't know whats the similarity with frank ocean and kanye though.

True. If Adele appealed to a more young audience the number would be insane with or without exclusivity deal... 

This can be seen by her performance on the charts. Her name and fame sells the first single to the younger audience, but after that the buyers are probably older and give longevity to her work. 

River

Music promotes piracy too...

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

Bobbins

I hate all these exclusive deals in general. I really do hope LG5 doesn't become an Apple exclusive. Just release it normally fat. 

River
1 minute ago, andresaramago said:

Even my sex tape would promote piracy 

#andresaramagosextakeleakparty:v:

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

Archived