💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

P!nk normalises Domestic Violence

Bebe

Featured Posts

Pink is an aggressive person and sometimes can imagine and have a fantasy in her head about how to take revenge and its sometimes nice to  put that out in your art and express it in a creative way so I dont know how this is normalizing abuse! If Pink normalizes abuse, then what do you call what Gaga is doing?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, faysalaaa1 said:

Pink is an aggressive person and sometimes can imagine and have a fantasy in her head about how to take revenge and its sometimes nice to  put that out in your art and express it in a creative way so I dont know how this is normalizing abuse! If Pink normalizes abuse, then what do you call what Gaga is doing?

You can be an aggressive person, imagine a fantasy about how to take revenge, put it in your art, express it in a creative way and still result in a creation that normalises abuse... Like I don't understand what point you are trying to make?

Domestic abuse is a real issue, it's often a silent issue and it's seriousness is often downplayed by society. When P!nk creates a video where she severely injures her husband and it's directed and shot in a way that's supposed to make us laugh and find this funny, it normalises abuse. In reality there is nothing at all funny about her severely abusing her husband why singing "I can be so mean when I want to be, I am capable of really anything, I can cut you into pieces" which is a threat that could come straight out of the mouth of an abuser. After breaking his legs she sings "What is it with you that makes me act like this? I've never been this nasty" which again is the classic abuser, blaming the victim for making them act violent and nasty.

The domestic violence depicted here is actually rather realistic. The lyrics she sings could come straight out of an abusers mouth and the type of violence being shown is very serious. Despite this it isn't being seen as something negative or problematic, it's seen as either something funny or flippant. It's normalising what should be seen as something very serious and troubling.

She sounds like an abuser and she is acting like an abuser, but it's this behaviour isn't being condemned or portrayed as serious and harmful - instead it's being glamorised or normalised.

Please dont leave - this isnt the first video that depicts a female holding ostatic a man. The song is really sad and the video does the best for it.

Try - how you represent emotions throw dance? Like Pink does it in Try.

True love - how many songs are like that? Taylor Swift normalises domestic violence too?

4 minutes ago, Bebe said:

You can be an aggressive person, imagine a fantasy about how to take revenge, put it in your art, express it in a creative way and still result in a creation that normalises abuse... Like I don't understand what point you are trying to make?

Domestic abuse is a real issue, it's often a silent issue and it's seriousness is often downplayed by society. When P!nk creates a video where she severely injures her husband and it's directed and shot in a way that's supposed to make us laugh and find this funny, it normalises abuse. In reality there is nothing at all funny about her severely abusing her husband why singing "I can be so mean when I want to be, I am capable of really anything, I can cut you into pieces" which is a threat that could come straight out of the mouth of an abuser. After breaking his legs she sings "What is it with you that makes me act like this? I've never been this nasty" which again is the classic abuser, blaming the victim for making them act violent and nasty.

The domestic violence depicted here is actually rather realistic. The lyrics she sings could come straight out of an abusers mouth and the type of violence being shown is very serious. Despite this it isn't being seen as something negative or problematic, it's seen as either something funny or flippant. It's normalising what should be seen as something very serious and troubling.

She sounds like an abuser and she is acting like an abuser, but it's this behaviour isn't being condemned or portrayed as serious and harmful - instead it's being glamorised or normalised.

I am glad that the majority of people think this video is funny because it really is.. the real problem however is if the gender roles was switched, people would attack the male singer but because its a female abusing a male, its ok.. there shouldnt be any problem in both cases though, western countries just dont know what to nag about and they are now acting like mentally ill people.

3 minutes ago, faysalaaa1 said:

I am glad that the majority of people think this video is funny because it really is.. the real problem however is if the gender roles was switched, people would attack the male singer but because its a female abusing a male, its ok.. there shouldnt be any problem in both cases though, western countries just dont know what to nag about and they are now acting like mentally ill people.

Can you explain what's funny? I genuinely don't see it.

People die from domestic abuse. I've spoken to people who want to kill themselves because of the violence they are living with. It's not funny for a man or a woman to severely injure their partner and threaten them. Criticising what our culture is telling us about domestic abuse and it's seriousness isn't some case of silly nagging. People are dying while P!nk makes jokes and gets us to laugh at domestic violence.

3 minutes ago, Bebe said:

Can you explain what's funny? I genuinely don't see it.

People die from domestic abuse. I've spoken to people who want to kill themselves because of the violence they are living with. It's not funny for a man or a woman to severely injure their partner and threaten them. Criticising what our culture is telling us about domestic abuse and it's seriousness isn't some case of silly nagging. People are dying while P!nk makes jokes and gets us to laugh at domestic violence.

Its funny because most people have these thoughts in a shallow way where they arent really actually thinking about doing it but think about it and imagine it to release their anger or whatever.. seeing a music video portraying that is funny specially that we know that P!nk always has these thoughts and shes expressing these imaginations into her art and work.

You are exaggerating saying things like people are dying while pink is making fun of this when pink is just making fun of her own thoughts witch most people can relate to. What pink does wont turn anyone into an abuser or let a victim think its normal to be abused!! this is a music video, a fantasy just like a movie!

11 minutes ago, faysalaaa1 said:

Its funny because most people have these thoughts in a shallow way where they arent really actually thinking about doing it but think about it and imagine it to release their anger or whatever.. seeing a music video portraying that is funny specially that we know that P!nk always has these thoughts and shes expressing these imaginations into her art and work.

You are exaggerating saying things like people are dying while pink is making fun of this when pink is just making fun of her own thoughts witch most people can relate to. What pink does wont turn anyone into an abuser or let a victim think its normal to be abused!! this is a music video, a fantasy just like a movie!

I really still fail to see the humor? You still seem to miss the bigger picture... While these 'shallow' thoughts might be harmless, seeing these thoughts depicted and acted out in a way that portrays it as non-serious or funny sends the message that the abuse itself is funny or not serious. Although the glamorised, normalised fantasy of domestic violence might seem funny, beautiful or romantic the reality of domestic violence is not. 

Instead of seeing domestic abuse for what it is, you see domestic abuse treated as if it is funny, beautiful or romantic. That's normalising and glamorising domestic abuse :shrug:

What you seem to miss is that movies have messages fantasy has social commentary it's unavoidable. All art says something. I haven't said that P!nk will turn anyone into an abuser, in fact I have repeatedly denied that P!nk would ever turn anyone into an abuser. Victims often feel like they deserve the abuse they are getting hence why they stay. That's true whether P!nk makes songs and videos like this or not, it's just the psychology of abuse- Messages about domestic abuse like the ones P!nk are sharing don't help victims though, they just reinforce the idea that it is normal and they don't deserve and can't expect any better.

imwoahvicky

I would also like to mention that in 'Try' Pink could be depicting an unhealthy relationship. That's what I took away from it. 

I don't think Pink is glamorizing or normalizing violence. I would like to believe that she is painting a different picture in 'Please Don't Leave Me'.

She could be focusing on an issue such as gender-based violence. Considering that when it comes to domestic abuse, gender-based violence is usually associating with men inflicting violence towards women and girls, whereas in this situation it's a reversed scenario where women are inflicting violence towards men which is often disregarded. 

'Please Don't Leave Me' didn't send me a 'glamorizing' domestic abuse vibe, but instead it's an example of the way that gender-based violence towards men is viewed as less serious than men inflicting violence towards women. 

All in all, art is all about interpretation and what the viewer takes away from it.

⚜ Roll Deep ⚜

3 minutes ago, Bebe said:

I really still fail to see the humor? You still seem to miss the bigger picture... While these 'shallow' thoughts might be harmless, seeing these thoughts depicted and acted out in a way that portrays it as non-serious or funny sends the message that the abuse itself is funny or not serious. Although the glamorised, normalised fantasy of domestic violence might seem funny, beautiful or romantic the reality of domestic violence is not. 

Instead of seeing domestic abuse for what it is, you see domestic abuse treated as if it is funny, beautiful or romantic. That's normalising and glamorising domestic abuse :shrug:

What you seem to miss is that movies have messages fantasy has social commentary it's unavoidable. All art says something. I haven't said that P!nk will turn anyone into an abuser, in fact I have repeatedly denied that P!nk would ever turn anyone into an abuser. Victims often feel like they deserve the abuse they are getting hence why they stay. That's true whether P!nk makes songs and videos like this or not, it's just the psychology of abuse- Messages about domestic abuse like the ones P!nk are sharing don't help victims though, they just reinforce the idea that it is normal and they don't deserve and can't expect any better.

I never said domestic abuse was beautiful or romantic, I said it is funny but not because domestic abuse is actually funny, its funny because we know its wrong yet we all have these thoughts sometimes and seeing it in a music video is funny because we can relate to it. We all know abuse is wrong, the only people who dont know that are people who lived in an unstable house witch is a problem that goes beyond any of this.

27 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

I would also like to mention that in 'Try' Pink could be depicting an unhealthy relationship. That's what I took away from it. 

I don't think Pink is glamorizing or normalizing violence. I would like to believe that she is painting a different picture in 'Please Don't Leave Me'.

She could be focusing on an issue such as gender-based violence. Considering that when it comes to domestic abuse, gender-based violence is usually associating with men inflicting violence towards women and girls, whereas in this situation it's a reversed scenario where women are inflicting violence towards men which is often disregarded. 

'Please Don't Leave Me' didn't send me a 'glamorizing' domestic abuse vibe, but instead it's an example of the way that gender-based violence towards men is viewed as less serious than men inflicting violence towards women. 

All in all, art is all about interpretation and what the viewer takes away from it.

Try clearly is depicting an unhealthy relationship, but how is that relationship being portrayed what is the message of the song and video? She is singing about getting hurt and having to keep getting up and trying. 

The dance is beautiful, it's passionate but it's also very violent. The message of the song is when you playing with fire you are going to get burned, but that you have to keep trying. At the end the lovers embrace sending the message that despite the violence and abuse the 'victim' got up and kept trying - at the end they are now together and happy.

I think the video for Please Don't Leave Me and the reaction to it from you and other is the evidence that "gender-based violence towards men is viewed as less serious than men inflicting violence towards women." :toofunny:
It's a funny video, it's supposed to be humerous. In a culture where violence against men is already seen as less serious, P!nk releases a video that treats violence against men in a non-serious, flippant and humerous manner.  That isn't a critique of the problem, that's actively participating in it.

Your defence of the video is giving me Robin Thicke "We were like, 'We're the perfect guys to make fun of this. People say, 'Hey, do you think this is degrading to women?' I'm like, 'Of course it is. What a pleasure it is to degrade a woman. I've never gotten to do that before. I've always respected women.'" teas.

When Robin Thicke created a video that was degrading to women, he wasn't critiquing the problem or making fun of it, he was contributing to the problem. When P!nk creates a video that treats domestic violence against a man as unserious and funny she contributes to the problem, she doesn't critique it.

1 minute ago, faysalaaa1 said:

I never said domestic abuse was beautiful or romantic, I said it is funny but not because domestic abuse is actually funny, its funny because we know its wrong yet we all have these thoughts sometimes and seeing it in a music video is funny because we can relate to it. We all know abuse is wrong, the only people who dont know that are people who lived in an unstable house witch is a problem that goes beyond any of this.

I'm not saying you think domestic abuse is beautiful or romantic, i'm saying P!nk is portraying domestic violence as beautiful and romantic :giveup:

"We all know abuse is wrong, the only people who dont know that are people who lived in an unstable house witch is a problem that goes beyond any of this."

That's really not true though. The messages we receive in this society influence our culture. They influence our values, they influence our morals, they influence our perceptions of the world. When society sends messages through our media and art that devalues POC, women, LGBT people we end up with a culture that devalues POC, women and LGBT people.

What P!nk is contributing to is a culture that treats domestic abuse as a flippant, non-important issue. She contributes to a culture that tells us domestic abuse against men is not serious, she contributes to a culture that conflates love and passion with conflict and violence, she contributes to a culture that tells us if you keep trying in a relationship (even when getting abused) eventually it will all be okay.

That sort of cultural message is dangerous.  It's harmful to those currently in relationships with domestic violence as it reinforces the beliefs of both the abuser and the victim that it isn't serious, it's deserved and it's normal. It also influences the way we think about and treat real life victims of domestic abuse. 

We live in a society that already disregards domestic violence against men, P!nk is contributing to a culture that teaches us to do this. We live in a society where many women stay in abusive relationships because they believe that they can't expect any better or because they think things will get better if they try harder, P!nk is contributing to a culture that teaches us to do this.

4 minutes ago, Bebe said:

I'm not saying you think domestic abuse is beautiful or romantic, i'm saying P!nk is portraying domestic violence as beautiful and romantic :giveup:

"We all know abuse is wrong, the only people who dont know that are people who lived in an unstable house witch is a problem that goes beyond any of this."

That's really not true though. The messages we receive in this society influence our culture. They influence our values, they influence our morals, they influence our perceptions of the world. When society sends messages through our media and art that devalues POC, women, LGBT people we end up with a culture that devalues POC, women and LGBT people.

What P!nk is contributing to is a culture that treats domestic abuse as a flippant, non-important issue. She contributes to a culture that tells us domestic abuse against men is not serious, she contributes to a culture that conflates love and passion with conflict and violence, she contributes to a culture that tells us if you keep trying in a relationship (even when getting abused) eventually it will all be okay.

That sort of cultural message is dangerous.  It's harmful to those currently in relationships with domestic violence as it reinforces the beliefs of both the abuser and the victim that it isn't serious, it's deserved and it's normal. It also influences the way we think about and treat real life victims of domestic abuse. 

We live in a society that already disregards domestic violence against men, P!nk is contributing to a culture that teaches us to do this. We live in a society where many women stay in abusive relationships because they believe that they can't expect any better or because they think things will get better if they try harder, P!nk is contributing to a culture that teaches us to do this.

I already told you why Pink did the video yet you want to link it to her contributing to abuse but thats only because you are obsessed with victimizing everything and everyone..

7 minutes ago, faysalaaa1 said:

I already told you why Pink did the video yet you want to link it to her contributing to abuse but thats only because you are obsessed with victimizing everything and everyone..

No I'm very aware why P!nk made the video :shrug: it just has literally nothing to do with anything. So when you keep bringing it up, you keep showing that you are unable to grasp the depth of this conversation

You can continue being concerned with the shallow conversations around P!nk's motivations and intentions behind making these videos but it's just not relevant and exposes your lack of understanding.

imwoahvicky
31 minutes ago, Bebe said:

Try clearly is depicting an unhealthy relationship, but how is that relationship being portrayed what is the message of the song and video? She is singing about getting hurt and having to keep getting up and trying. 

The dance is beautiful, it's passionate but it's also very violent. The message of the song is when you playing with fire you are going to get burned, but that you have to keep trying. At the end the lovers embrace sending the message that despite the violence and abuse the 'victim' got up and kept trying - at the end they are now together and happy.

I think the video for Please Don't Leave Me and the reaction to it from you and other is the evidence that "gender-based violence towards men is viewed as less serious than men inflicting violence towards women." :toofunny:
It's a funny video, it's supposed to be humerous. In a culture where violence against men is already seen as less serious, P!nk releases a video that treats violence against men in a non-serious, flippant and humerous manner.  That isn't a critique of the problem, that's actively participating in it.

Your defence of the video is giving me Robin Thicke "We were like, 'We're the perfect guys to make fun of this. People say, 'Hey, do you think this is degrading to women?' I'm like, 'Of course it is. What a pleasure it is to degrade a woman. I've never gotten to do that before. I've always respected women.'" teas.

When Robin Thicke created a video that was degrading to women, he wasn't critiquing the problem or making fun of it, he was contributing to the problem. When P!nk creates a video that treats domestic violence against a man as unserious and funny she contributes to the problem, she doesn't critique it.

I wasnt even defending the video i was just stating how i viewed it :toofunny:

Dont accuse me of something i never even did :toofunny:

⚜ Roll Deep ⚜

Just now, Scarlet said:

I wasnt even defending the video i was just stating how i viewed it :toofunny:

Dont accuse me of something i never even did :toofunny:

You said "I would like to believe that she is painting a different picture in 'Please Don't Leave Me'."

You said "She could be focusing on an issue such as gender-based violence. Considering that when it comes to domestic abuse, gender-based violence is usually associating with men inflicting violence towards women and girls, whereas in this situation it's a reversed scenario where women are inflicting violence towards men which is often disregarded. "

But by releasing a video that treats domestic abuse against men as flippant and humorous, she contributes to the problem. She contributes to the problem that domestic violence against men is not serious and can be disregarded. She doesn't paint a different picture in this scenario of yours, she contributes to the same picture.

Archived