Die With A Smile Music Video Banner
Die With A Smile Music Video Banner
question

Why has Gaga never spoke about BLM?

gagzus

Featured Posts

Ronlop

Gaga follows trends. It's simple.

She is vocal about issues that have already tapped into the mainstream discussion or are already supported by the majority. I'm not surprised because I know that as long as she counts herself as a commercial artist, she needs to play the game and I understand that.

I am not saying she doesn't believe in everything she is vocal about. I'm saying she is fully aware of why it's a risk for her to talk about certain topics.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kayla

She probably doesn't know as much about it and doesn't want to come off as another white knight. :shrug: 

Seeka

Probably because the BLM is a hot ass mess?

And she is for full equality for the world and not putting one person above another?

BLM is a good concept with its execution having been awful so far.

Ronlop
2 minutes ago, Kayla said:

She probably doesn't know as much about it and doesn't want to come off as another white knight. :shrug: 

That's the point.

She kind of chooses to delve into topics that she believes are easy to digest for herself and for her image, I believe. That's not how you change the world.

Kayla
Just now, Ronlop said:

That's the point.

She kind of chooses to delve into topics that she believes are easy to digest for herself and for her image, I believe. That's not how you change the world.

I don't think it's just about picking what's easy, it's about picking what resonates with you and what you have experience in. Pushing for a cause you only have superficial knowledge of comes off as an entitled white person trying to feel important in a revolution they shouldn't be leading. 

It amazes me that Gaga can have done so much to promote equality and some people here STILL give her ****. The woman has spoken at rallies, created songs promoting equality, thanked "God, and the Gays," in speeches, pushed for equality in interviews, and formed an entire Foundation to help others, yet apparently the way she delves into topics is "not how you change the world."

So what, Gaga would be changing the world the "right" way if she did all that AND went to a BLM rally, or would you then pick some other cause you think she's not doing enough for to criticize her supposed lack of effort?

Bad Bromance
29 minutes ago, PartySick said:

I really don't mind the casual support, I kind of actually prefer it, but I totally understand where you're coming from. Of course, if she stood up and said that she's even slightly ignorant about the issue, I'm not sure how many people would take her support seriously :emma: I'm sure a lot of people would appreciate her open mindedness and willingness to learn and voice support but she'd get just as many, if not more, people screaming in her face for this reason or that. It's a can of worms that she probably doesn't want to open.

I already used that phrase but it fits and idk what else to call it :emma:

I understand perfectly what BLM is as a movement and as a group of people. It's the fact that if you show support for them, you also get the baggage of the people that obstruct highways, call for the death of cops, hijack pride parades, and constantly give light skinned people the business about "you can't understand, you're too privileged, etc etc". Yes, I know, they don't represent the values of BLM, but the average person doesn't really care to know that. The BLM movement wasn't labeled a "terrorist" movement for nothing...unfortunately...

That's why I've always said I support them for standing up for equality and tolerance. Who wouldn't? But at the same time, who'd want all that extra nonsense unnecessarily tacked onto their names? I honestly believe it's enough to voice your intolerance of intolerance. No one needs to make this big bold statement for anything, especially if their heart isn't in it 100%.

And since I still can't use the multiquote function (:grr:) and your posts are on different pages, @Bad Bromance

Exactly, friend...it feels more and more like white people aren't "allowed" to have opinions on this things, regardless of where they stand. I mean, I stand here speaking of equality and love and nine times out of ten, I get my "privilege checked" and I'm told that I'm ignorant on the issue 'cause I haven't lived through it. Like, why bother at all? Rhetorical question, it's obvious that we still need to be vocal and active, but it's frustrating to walk on eggshells and still get useless flack from people that're supposedly on the same side as well as being misunderstood by angry people that disagree with you. More of a general statement than one about BLM or race equality but you get what I mean.

People...such strange creatures...

I totally get what you're saying and agree with you 100%.   ;)

I don't care what you think about unless it is about me.

gagzus
3 minutes ago, Kayla said:

I don't think it's just about picking what's easy, it's about picking what resonates with you and what you have experience in. Pushing for a cause you only have superficial knowledge of comes off as an entitled white person trying to feel important in a revolution they shouldn't be leading. 

It amazes me that Gaga can have done so much to promote equality and some people here STILL give her ****. The woman has spoken at rallies, created songs promoting equality, thanked "God, and the Gays," in speeches, pushed for equality in interviews, and formed an entire Foundation to help others, yet apparently the way she delves into topics is "not how you change the world."

So what, Gaga would be changing the world the "right" way if she did all that AND went to a BLM rally, or would you then pick some other cause you think she's not doing enough for to criticize her supposed lack of effort?

Actually yes I do believe that's the right way for her to do it, because if she is as aware as she claims then she is simply playing ignorance, go back to the first post of Jane Elliot videos I posted and watch the first one and you'll see what I mean. 

People often fall too much into the Bystander Syndrome category and to me that's almost as bad as being someone who is against equality, ignorance is what got us further into inequality so it's sure f*cking not gonna get us out of it 

Kayla
1 hour ago, Didymus said:

Of course and I follow your logic. I just wish she was a bit more vocal about it even if she wasn't sure how to talk about it. That's not just something I target her for though, it seems to be a general dimension of our culture rn that you either have to be fully educated and speaking your mind about it 24/7 or you're an uneducated brat who should shut the **** up.

What's wrong with just stating you want to make a change but you don't know how to correctly approach a certain issue or movement, respecting their integrity and still supporting them? Why aren't we seeing more celebrities asking people to learn about a certain issue? It's like all they can do these days is make a provocative statement and then move on to another subject that'll get them a spotlight and a praiseworthy comment on social media.

It's a bit disappointing to say the least.

This is a really good thought. I never really thought about that dimension of our culture, but it's totally true. I think the issue is often when people talk about things they act educated or say something that ten minutes of research proves is ridiculous, so then the people who are actually knowledgeable are fed up with it. 

I feel that people don't usually open up the conversation with "I don't know much about this, can you explain ____?" and instead just start voicing opinions and get mad when you point out the flaws in their arguments. 

The idea of simply stating you want to make a change but don't know how to approach it makes so much sense. I wish more people did that and stopped trying to act like an expert all the time. 

Ronlop
10 minutes ago, Kayla said:

I am not disregarding what she did for the LGBT community. She's obviously been there for the community since the very beginning.

I'm just saying it wasn't...revolutionary or as risky as it was to be vocal about LGBT rights in the 70's for example. Risky or not, she still made an impact and she did manage to create a discussion regarding LGBT rights which is important. 

gagzus

Anyways let me ignore that obvious shade  and ask why is it so bad for me to wonder why Gaga is simply fighting for her white cis gay male audience, why can't she speak out about her black gay or straight or trans or anything else? It's not bad of me to ask more from someone who is a self proclaimed activist and equality supporter for her to show me something beyond her run of he mill societally accepted social stance.

EssenceOfPop

She's against any kind of discrimination, no matter race, gender, sexuality. She's tweeted numerously about ending gun violence, which I believe is in support of black lives.

But she also probably believes its an extremely sensitive subject, like look at a couple of days ago with the "All Lives Matter" hashtag predicament, where people were stating its not truly genuine and empathetic, rather insincere and apathetic, because "white folk" have never had the level of oppression as black and gay lives have had. She gets backlash no matter where she puts her seeds of wisdom, so she's probably hush-hush about it.

Through the fire; we're born again.

EssenceOfPop
15 minutes ago, Kayla said:

This. Also, the people that come for her and spew "You're just trying to mainstream the gays" - that literally angers me.

Through the fire; we're born again.

Kayla
47 minutes ago, gagzus said:

She is a caring person I agree but I do think she suffers from not acknowledging her white privilege and is slightly hypocritical about some of her views. Just like most white people are.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying, but you do NOT know everything Gaga acknowledges. You see a fraction of her life and a smaller fraction of what she knows and thinks about. Much like I have knowledge/thoughts/awareness/etc. even my closest friends don't know about, Gaga may (or may not) have mental processes about the very things you're saying she's hypocritical about. 

She has a platform and she DOES use it, and for the things she uses it for she uses it in an admirable way. She doesn't go ALL IN all the time, and her choices certainly do line up with her career hopes, but the fact is she does a lot. She does more than me, and to the best of my knowledge she's done more than you too.

We shouldn't be giving her **** for "not doing enough." Save that for the people who actually don't do anything. 

Sizzily
5 minutes ago, gagzus said:

Anyways let me ignore that obvious shade  and ask why is it so bad for me to wonder why Gaga is simply fighting for her white cis gay male audience, why can't she speak out about her black gay or straight or trans or anything else? It's not bad of me to ask more from someone who is a self proclaimed activist and equality supporter for her to show me something beyond her run of he mill societally accepted social stance.

She can do that without BLM.

One Banned Boi

Kayla
1 hour ago, gagzus said:

Actually if you don't support nor understand why we have the movement it does in fact make you in favour of racism and you're part of the problem. Simple. 

I think there's a difference between understanding why we have a movement and choosing to support a specific part or branch of that movement. I honestly don't understand if Black Lives Matter is an organization, a mentality, etc. Do they have official offices? People in charge? Or is it just a general concept? 

I'm not against BLM, I actually am totally on their side, I just don't understand how exactly it functions at an operational level. Regardless, while my lack of knowledge stops me from tagging my pro-black thoughts with "#BlackLivesMatter," it doesn't stop me from supporting their goals. 

28 minutes ago, gagzus said:

Actually yes I do believe that's the right way for her to do it, because if she is as aware as she claims then she is simply playing ignorance, go back to the first post of Jane Elliot videos I posted and watch the first one and you'll see what I mean. 

People often fall too much into the Bystander Syndrome category and to me that's almost as bad as being someone who is against equality, ignorance is what got us further into inequality so it's sure f*cking not gonna get us out of it 

You can call bystander syndrome category on a lot of things. I'm in environmental sciences and see the shitty things happening to nature- companies polluting water that flows into native american communities, pesticides that kill off bees we need to pollinate at least 3/4 of the food we eat, people planting flowers in their garden that do little to nothing for native species, deforestation effecting animal populations, air quality, etc. 

Those are also huge social and political problems that Gaga hasn't said much, if anything, about, yet they are indeed things that effect almost everyone. 

So if Gaga does go to a BLM rally and gives you what you want, should I start getting upset at her for not speaking out about the importance of planting native plant species to save the bees? 

I do agree Gaga could and should do more to find a solution for the issue of systemic racism, and I've loved Elliot's exercises since I was a child and my mother introduced me to them, but I think you're shitting on Gaga a little too much here. 

Archived