opinion

next Tour - eliminate backing tracks

giskardsb

Featured Posts

jojuun
15 minutes ago, YourSweet666 said:

I knew you'll mention choreo, but it does not matter. You highlighted that he was sitting down, as if it's not possible to sound great while dancing and moving around the stage and having backup singers. That is not choir, I know all of them and there is big difference between them and the choir in the video you posted. 

They're matching his vocals perfectly, but they're not louder than him. She could have that.

You are only talking about her hit songs, which she often looks bored performing on tour, but you have no idea how her next album is gonna sound.

What will you say if she won't have any choreo, on the next tour, what if she'd focus more on vocals and live instruments and just have some random dance moves? Or let backup dancers to do the job?

She sang both Bad Romance and Just Dance acoustic and it was great. 

Girl, I am talking about THE KIND of music they make. Find me a George Michael song that has the same BPM as Judas, Just Dance or any other of Gaga's upbeat popsongs. And why the hell would you post that BTW acoustic clip? I have acknowledged and defended Gaga's acoustics throughout this entire thread. She's an AMAZING live vocalist, she just needs the vocal backing track for the up-beat pop songs because they simply require it. If George had done Bad Romance, he'd also have a backing track. THATS the point. Born This Way in the clip you posted is acoustic and slowed down, it's not the original song. The studio version of Freedom 90 lends itself to have the many, many backing singers because it is a MID-TEMPO SONG IN IT'S ORIGINAL FORM. THAT'S THE POINT I'M MAKING.

And yes, of course I don't know the direction of her next album. But I know she can't fill an entire world tour with all new material and no oldie hits. Unless it's a double album or something. She simply NEEDS the backing track if she wants to perform her up-tempo hits with choreo. It's as simple as that. If she goes for the funky sound like Freedom '90 than YES, I'm all here for a similar live version with live backing singers but her solo discography as we know it today, cannot exist without backing track because of the choreo. And they require that choreo. Standing still or walking from side to side of the stage for her big dance-hits would make her a basic bitch and that's the last thing Gaga is. That's not saying I don't enjoy her acoustics, I LOVE them. But I don't want ALL of her dance songs slowed down live just so she's able to perform them "organically live". 

Djeezzzzzz

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jojuun
1 minute ago, VOLANTIS said:

:what::what::wtfga:

Am I seeing this right?

The DELUSION on this board is SO real.

1 minute ago, AndrewGrMonster said:

You should take a break from this thread tbh :toofunny:

I need a break from everyone who's unable to grasp the complexity of live performances on this board. 

VOLANTIS

I like the C2C era for what is was. But with choreo involved pop performances, I'd rather see a visually pleasing performance that sounds great. And I'm completely fine with how Gaga uses backing tracks. Especially during the two songs mentioned most, JD and BR where backing tracks are essential because it just wouldn't sound right without them. 

I'll lift you 3 inches off the ground and drag you to a meter and a half

jojuun
3 minutes ago, VOLANTIS said:

I like the C2C era for what is was. But with choreo involved pop performances, I'd rather see a visually pleasing performance that sounds great. And I'm completely fine with how Gaga uses backing tracks. Especially during the two songs mentioned most, JD and BR where backing tracks are essential because it just wouldn't sound right without them. 

Oh look, a person who understands that some songs REQUIRE a backing track. 

giphy.gif

Leeo

If she wants to do a show to showcase her voice power only and leave props, choreos and all behind, she better book theaters to sing then, because I don't think it's possible to sell out arenas & stadiums with this type of thing...:emma:

No shade or anything mean guys but for real, if we expect her to ever sell out Stadiums and arenas all around the world again, we can't expect her to do a show focused on her vocal only... We all know the power of her voice and now the general public (after Cheek to Cheek and Oscar) met it too, but most of people will expect at least to watch the damn Poker Face or Just Dance or Bad Romance in it's full pop ecstasy. They want to see a stage with a big team dancing and showing the power of the "POP SONG" that made 2008\2009 what it was.

Let's imagine:

WEMBLEY stadium sold out listening to Poker Face and Bad Romance on piano, Just Dance & Telephone left out  because she's tired of singing her old hits, and then gaga standing or maybe walking few times around the stage while 2 backing vocals\dancers walk around and trying few moves...... I understand that she's not just a "Popstar" anymore and she's on another level, but for the most of people (and even critics tbh), she's not Adele to just stay there facing a stadium and showcasing her vocals...

This is why I'm expeting that groundbreaking acoustic jazzy act of the show where she'll do Lush Life or Bang Bang + Paradise + LG5 ballad + Another song where all the people will see the power of Gaga and how good she is

:staymad::staymad::staymad::staymad:

venusfly

She shouldn't remove backing tracks but something they need to work on is their production of the live versions. 

That's the best version of Judas I have ever heard, and I don't know why they didn't use it for either the album or the born this way ball, it was just restricted to this show and its the best thing ive ever heard :(

MaryJaneHolland
6 minutes ago, Leeo said:

If she wants to do a show to showcase her voice power only and leave props, choreos and all behind, she better book theaters to sing then, because I don't think it's possible to sell out arenas & stadiums with this type of thing...:emma:

No shade or anything mean guys but for real, if we expect her to ever sell out Stadiums and arenas all around the world again, we can't expect her to do a show focused on her vocal only... We all know the power of her voice and now the general public (after Cheek to Cheek and Oscar) met it too, but most of people will expect at least to watch the damn Poker Face or Just Dance or Bad Romance in it's full pop ecstasy. They want to see a stage with a big team dancing and showing the power of the "POP SONG" that made 2008\2009 what it was.

Let's imagine:

WEMBLEY stadium sold out listening to Poker Face and Bad Romance on piano, Just Dance & Telephone left out  because she's tired of singing her old hits, and then gaga standing or maybe walking few times around the stage while 2 backing vocals\dancers walk around and trying few moves...... I understand that she's not just a "Popstar" anymore and she's on another level, but for the most of people (and even critics tbh), she's not Adele to just stay there facing a stadium and showcasing her vocals...

This is why I'm expeting that groundbreaking acoustic jazzy act of the show where she'll do Lush Life or Bang Bang + Paradise + LG5 ballad + Another song where all the people will see the power of Gaga and how good she is

:staymad::staymad::staymad::staymad:

My THOUGHTS EXACTLY!!!!! 

THE MOST CORRECT ANSWER!

jojuun
1 minute ago, LG said:

She shouldn't remove backing tracks but something they need to work on is their production of the live versions. 

That's the best version of Judas I have ever heard, and I don't know why they didn't use it for either the album or the born this way ball, it was just restricted to this show and its the best thing ive ever heard :(

This performance is Gaga singing live + backing track + backing vocalists. She does rely HEAVILY on the backing track in this performance for the chorusses but look at that choreo... And that was a heavily festival set. Sometimes it's just needed. Simple as that.

venusfly
Just now, jojuun said:

This performance is Gaga singing live + backing track + backing vocalists. She does rely HEAVILY on the backing track in this performance for the chorusses but look at that choreo... And that was a heavily festival set. Sometimes it's just needed. Simple as that.

For this festival Judas was the very last song and she was tired tf out, not surprised she let the backing track do a lot of work :unicorn:

River

I don't like backup singers.. they are always doing annoying mistakes and looks awkward..

oh and among them there must be the annoying one that thinks she's the singer..:sick:

I'm working late, cause I'm a puta

JustifyMyLove

Next Tour, I hope she reduces the strength of the live instrumentation, for example on monster ball 1.0 there was some live instrumentation but it wasn't that heavy like artrave, wich ruined (at least for me) the natural feeling of the songs studio version, that's why I prefer a lot the performances she do on TV singing along w the instrumental and BGVX, sometimes you can hear live instrumentation too but it isn't very loud so it's very enjoyable

Julia Volkova #1 stan

2 hours ago, jojuun said:

Okay, let me break down the audio in this performance for you:

- Like I said earlier in this thread: her acoustics are always live. She's 100% live, with no support, during 3/4 of this performance. There's a little reverb throughout the entire section. That's normal, everyone uses that.

- When she gets up from the chair, you can clearly hear the shift they pulled in the control room, there is a sudden compression changer and heavier reverb on her vocals, aka the "echo" that's on her voice.

- If you listen closely, the final part of the performance is a mess when it comes to it's audio. Her back-up singers are not in-sync with her vocals and together with the live mix and the instrumental backing track (cause that's a thing too, but y'all don't understand that.)

- When she does the spoken bit at the end ("free my mind...")that would be impossible to do in a live arena setting because the audience is always singing/screaming/clapping and all of that sound travels back into the microphone. It would sound a MESS if it wasn't compressed right and wasn't mixed in with a backing track.

I can't believe Lady f*cking Gaga is under attack for her vocals... She's always live. Who the f*ck cares about the little bit of vocal backing track she uses? Her music is electronic pop anyway, there's ALWAYS an instrumental backing track because her live band IS NOT capable of doing all of the studio compression and digital beats on the spot, which is why there's computers on stage and why there's a tech-booth in the middle of the arena's of ANY show. The audio has to be edited and compressed LIVE on the spot. The musicians are mixed in with the digital soundboard and she's mixed in with the vocal soundboard and that all travels at the speed of light into the speakers and into her in-ears and those of her band members.

It's not as easy as it looks, why do you think tours take so much time to prep? The technical aspect behind it is INSANITY.

I hate this fanbase sometimes.

You need to calm down Jesus Christ. I liked it and so did a lot of other people. 

jojuun
Just now, lg5 said:

You need to calm down Jesus Christ. I liked it and so did a lot of other people. 

I'm not saying I didn't like it, I did. I was just explaining why it is the way it is without backing track...

Battle 4 Ur Life

woah, someone need to check the bitterness level in this thread cause to me it feels critical.

listen huntys, she IS able to do a great live performance, HOWEVER, in order to put out a mind-blowing concert like hers and sing + dance + run + talk + change outfits she needs to have backing tracks ready all the time so she can breath without breaking the performance. And if something out of the ordinary happens, that's why there are backing tracks as well, to not mess with the flow of the concert, which lasts for like 2 hours.

I'm sure your asses cannot pull off a 10m britney spears medley without coughing like a terminal lung cancer patient, so y'all need to chill the f* out.

her concerts are always amazing and entertaining. cohesion and flow are key elements to a successful tour and there are always acoustic moments where she sings her pipes out so stop being so ungrateful.

cause if she'd ever get tired and screwed up the vocals a tiny bit y'all be the first ones to drag her, own up to it.

“Stupid Love aged like Macallan tho”

AlexanderMagno

Agree. Backing tracks are very distracting. I don't care if she doesn't dance, she should sing her lungs out and let her dozens of dancers do the work. The show can be huge anyway. She ends up relying on the backing tracks too much and I'm not there for that. And yes, we all know she can sing live, but that doesn't mean she doesn't need to sing live anymore.

Archived