Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

On Gaga being political

Mujinkyaku

Featured Posts

Mujinkyaku

We live in an age where every pop star, musician, actor, or other public figure also has some kind of sociopolitical agenda attached to their name, whether it is animal rights, environmental issues, feminism, gay rights, black lives matter, etc.

Mind you, I do not necessarily find this to be a good thing: as much as a celebrity lending their name to a cause can help raise awareness for it, it also leaves me skeptical at times, because the promotion of said cause doesn't always mean a raised profile for it, as much as it means good PR for the celebrity doing the promotion. Does it not make you raise an eyebrow or two how certain people only bang the drum for x or y when they just released an album, when they are nominated for a prestigious award, when they have a movie out in theaters, etc. And when those things are out of the way they are as apolitical as the next person.

While I will always look askance at political celebrities, I can at least believe in their level of conviction when they are consistent. And that is why I can believe in Gaga's convictions. I'm not saying she expresses everything perfectly. I'm not saying she goes about it the best way or backs the best people. But I believe that she does have convictions, and isn't using these issues just to get in people's good graces.

I, for one, can appreciate that Gaga is being political when she doesn't have something to sell.

DeanWinchester

This is what makes Gaga great. She isn't jumping on to bandwagons unlike other stars who only do when it's relevant or potentially-damaging to their career not to do so.

However, she should not ignore her pop album (which thankfully I've accepted will be released in 2017). If she delays it until 2018 :saladga:

Flyin' like a 1000 Doves

crisTEAne

if, after all these years, someone dares question gaga's integrity, whether musically or politically, they are flung out of space. she is an angel.

tumblr_nzhr4s7S8l1qzheh0o1_500.gif

if you hurt taylor swift, i'll hurt you back

DeanWinchester
1 minute ago, T E A said:

she is an angel

until it's about LG5 release :firega:

Flyin' like a 1000 Doves

crisTEAne
1 minute ago, A Gaga Lad said:

until it's about LG5 release :firega:

FOREVER.

tumblr_n5757g5vlN1qcgl1no1_500.gif

if you hurt taylor swift, i'll hurt you back

kabirartfling

Sometimes i find her actions pretty fake to be honest (don't drag me, cuz somewhere you must have felt this too) 

But then i look back at her previous interviews, her speeches while accepting awards or honest fan videos of meeting her and the genuine moments she has had with her fans, it makes me i see a girl who has taken so much of care of everything around her, who has literally never bad mouthed anyone (except the post ARTPOP era mess), who always loved her team and family, who knew that she would not always be considered as a queen but she would always be a good human, which for me is very important...and i will always stand by her for that.:heart:

Give your love to me

Dominic

Whether it's PR or genuine I don't really care as long as that 'charity' is getting a voice, personally. 

The hardest thing in this world is to live in it

Didymus

I feel like she isn't disingenuous, but I'm not so easily convinced it's all for the "right reasons". Her support for the LGBT+ community was nice, but it was also a necessary outflow of the fact that she had such a large LGBT+ fanbase.

As Gaga once (perhaps in a moment of rare candor) said: (paraphr.) How can I turn my back on them when they have given me so much? From her past it's quite easily seen how her label was desperate to get the "gay vote" (because there are financial benefits to having a large gay following), so this idea of showing public support for the LGBT+ community did not come from nowhere, especially when other pop stars like Madonna had already done it before her, her career clearly serving as a blueprint for the way Interscope planned Gaga's success.

Speaking of Madonna, she spoke out about the LGBT+ community in a time where that was a definite risk to her career. The way I wish Madge would've used the "reductive" comment was in the sense that it's easy for Gaga to talk about equal rights and freedom of expression etc. now that society has already progressed to accepting these statements in a public light, which was not the case at all in previous decades. So in that respect I see Gaga more like the Hillary of LGBT+ support and Madonna the Bernie of pop culture.

Aside from her support for the LGBT+ community there's not much. Her statements about international politics could've come from any semi-educated American (Russia is evil! The media is lying about Israel! #PrayForParisButNotForLebanon! etc.), so there's nothing valuable to be found there. She always seems to make those political statements when it's safe to do so and when enough people have done it before her too (example: calling for a boycott of the Olympics to be held in Russia, while being completely silent about the European Games in Azerbaijan where she even appeared and accepted a million dollars).

The rape thing is another issue that she will become remembered for, but I find that a bit questionable as well. She did not make the documentary, she just collaborated on the song which would serve as promotion for it. Some weird things surround that release: the dance remixes, the fact that she appears as head writer (which is obviously undeserved), the idea of only donating an unspecified "portion" of the proceeds to an unspecified charity organization, the suspiciously extensive pre-Oscars promo as if the award was more important than the message, etc.

Basically for any thing she seriously spoke out about, a pessimistic mind like me can very instantly understand that, even if she was sincere, she actively used these projects/statements to fit in a narrative that would benefit her overall career. Like I said in the beginning, it doesn't mean she's not sincere about what she eventually does talk about, but I do actually think there's a big element of getting people's good grace in the game. It's like she tells every celebrity they changed her life. It's like she constantly switches explanations for her songs and albums that fit the event. Biographical accounts of her rise to fame show that same personality: that girl will do anything to get there, to be liked by the right people.

That doesn't make her less admirable imo. But I do think it's important (for me) to notice that undercurrent and acknowledge it to appreciate her career in the most color.

danwasd
26 minutes ago, Didymus said:

I feel like she isn't disingenuous, but I'm not so easily convinced it's all for the "right reasons". Her support for the LGBT+ community was nice, but it was also a necessary outflow of the fact that she had such a large LGBT+ fanbase.

As Gaga once (perhaps in a moment of rare candor) said: (paraphr.) How can I turn my back on them when they have given me so much? From her past it's quite easily seen how her label was desperate to get the "gay vote" (because there are financial benefits to having a large gay following), so this idea of showing public support for the LGBT+ community did not come from nowhere, especially when other pop stars like Madonna had already done it before her, her career clearly serving as a blueprint for the way Interscope planned Gaga's success.

Speaking of Madonna, she spoke out about the LGBT+ community in a time where that was a definite risk to her career. The way I wish Madge would've used the "reductive" comment was in the sense that it's easy for Gaga to talk about equal rights and freedom of expression etc. now that society has already progressed to accepting these statements in a public light, which was not the case at all in previous decades. So in that respect I see Gaga more like the Hillary of LGBT+ support and Madonna the Bernie of pop culture.

Aside from her support for the LGBT+ community there's not much. Her statements about international politics could've come from any semi-educated American (Russia is evil! The media is lying about Israel! #PrayForParisButNotForLebanon! etc.), so there's nothing valuable to be found there. She always seems to make those political statements when it's safe to do so and when enough people have done it before her too (example: calling for a boycott of the Olympics to be held in Russia, while being completely silent about the European Games in Azerbaijan where she even appeared and accepted a million dollars).

The rape thing is another issue that she will become remembered for, but I find that a bit questionable as well. She did not make the documentary, she just collaborated on the song which would serve as promotion for it. Some weird things surround that release: the dance remixes, the fact that she appears as head writer (which is obviously undeserved), the idea of only donating an unspecified "portion" of the proceeds to an unspecified charity organization, the suspiciously extensive pre-Oscars promo as if the award was more important than the message, etc.

Basically for any thing she seriously spoke out about, a pessimistic mind like me can very instantly understand that, even if she was sincere, she actively used these projects/statements to fit in a narrative that would benefit her overall career. Like I said in the beginning, it doesn't mean she's not sincere about what she eventually does talk about, but I do actually think there's a big element of getting people's good grace in the game. It's like she tells every celebrity they changed her life. It's like she constantly switches explanations for her songs and albums that fit the event. Biographical accounts of her rise to fame show that same personality: that girl will do anything to get there, to be liked by the right people.

That doesn't make her less admirable imo. But I do think it's important (for me) to notice that undercurrent and acknowledge it to appreciate her career in the most color.

THIS. SOMEONE GIVE YOU AN AWARD OR STH. :wub:

LadyGagaStan93
54 minutes ago, Didymus said:

I agree with everything except the tihty stuff. A lot of that was pushed by Diane. And I do think the agenda was to help Diane get an Oscar, but you could always tell Gaga was bothered or flustered whenever Diane mentioned the Oscar's or the academy. She wasn't doing it for that, even if she was negotiated in things that obviously put her in higher standing, like being head writer. As for the dance remixes, as far as I know none of them were released by her team, they just signed off on them. Doesn't lessen the meaning. 

I do think she's very safe with her opinions and her rallies. But at the same time she puts herself in danger,  with the way she expresses herself. Kindness, love, gay rights, and peace are all great things to rally for whether you're an ally or just trying to help move things along, but I can't shake the feeling that she'll be assassinated one day because of how hard she does contribute to certain causes. 

As for the people who don't like politics mixed with pop, just don't pay any attention to it. 

50 minutes ago, Didymus said:

You know Gaga wasn't born when Madge was doing all those stuff (and I mean Gaga) so having same passion is not reductive also she started talking abt the rape stuff long before TIHTY was brought to her. What's wrong with her pushing for the award when she got the chance tho? It's not like she gets nominated for it every other year that was a case of chanced opportunity 

also a lot of people especially on this site complain that she's too extra (she reads all of this you know) and it affects how she react she's human! She doesn't always has to be the first to comment on a social issue to show how passionate she is abt it, I barely heard her speak abt the LGBT during ARTPOP's promo that's because the purpose of the album was not to foster human rights and equality, she already did that with born this way and she has several passions 

Alsk when u raise to her pedestal of success (not commercial more as a public figure) the way u speak and go abt you passion would be different from a normal person it has to be timed and weighed over and over so not to get backlash for doing something you thought was genuinely good and devoid of personal gains 

let's imagine Gaga at the forefront of black life's matter, she might be a strong advocate in her personal life but if she adds it to her career it would be a mess 

I guess what am saying is she's going to do as much as she can and you can interprete it as you like 

Mujinkyaku
54 minutes ago, Didymus said:

This is a great post and I agree. (Especially "she tells every celebrity they changed her life" LMAO. She's a professionnal brown noser.)

I'm pretty cynical to a certain degree myself, so like I said I'm generally wary of celebrities who are political, including Gaga. What I meant by my post is precisely that, while there is most likely a part of her that's doing it for PR,  her consistency also leads me to believe that her convictions on certain issues are at the very least honest.

Whispering

Gaga has always been an overly passionate person and as she became famous and had a voice, she oftentimes has extended that to being a spokesperson or being political. Some artists are simply naturally more inclined to get involved in various causes, just like people who aren't celebrities. In real life, we all know people who are always passionate about whatever they are doing in life at the time and are those who are more political by nature. Then, there are those artists who never really stand for anything or get involved in anything controversial of political. They don't feel a need and responsibility to lend their energy and voice to causes they are passionate about. That's not Gaga. 

kabirartfling

Reading all this mess, and thinking where did the good ol days go? When fans were actually fans who enjoyed music , when musicians were musicians who wrote and sang about political movements & issues through their songs rather than being outright about it.

Give your love to me

Archived