Joker 2 Out October 4th Banner
opinion

The problem with "Heavy Metal Lover"

ReidOne

Featured Posts

ReidOne

I've always wanted "Heavy Metal Lover" to be one of my all-time favorite Gaga tunes. Yet, there's something standing in the way preventing it from claiming that title.

Sure, the song, the melody and the production are absolutely FLAWLESS. The overall sonic aesthetic is mesmerizing.

But... the mixing is atrocious. Absolutely dreadful! I have to turn the volume up to full blast just to hear its basic magnificence. I should be posting this in the "Biggest Gaga Disappointment" thread. It should have been so much more than it is.

I know I'm not alone in this. I recall reading lots of similar reviews at the time of release of 'Born This Way' album. Still makes me sad. 

This is also why I'm so hyped Mark "Spike" Stent is coming back for LG5. He would NEVER let a track like this be released with such lackluster mixing. 

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ReidOne
Just now, Versus said:

i think it was meant to sound drrrty

I wouldn't change any of those aspects of the song, though. I would actually bring them out MORE. That's precisely the problem with this mix. It's not finished. 

LUO YI

I truly hate BTW when it comes to mixing :madge: It is my favourite album from Gaga, but I just can't hear it without having a headache. 

The night sky tells all

15jocart

Sorry to have to ask, but what does mixing do?

Been a long time but I'm back in town, and this time I'm not leaving without you

ReidOne
Just now, 15jocart said:

Sorry to have to ask, but what does mixing do?

Mixing doesn't change any of the actual "sounds" that you hear, but it just adjusts all the levels, layers and volume so that the absolute peaks (and valleys) of the original track shine through in their most magnificent fashion. Mixing makes or breaks a song. 

In this case... breaks. :( 

2 minutes ago, ReidOne said:

Mixing doesn't change any of the actual "sounds" that you hear, but it just adjusts all the levels, layers and volume so that the absolute peaks (and valleys) of the original track shine through in their most magnificent fashion. Mixing makes or breaks a song. 

In this case... breaks. :( 

That's an opinion. The majority like this song.

ReidOne
Just now, BoysBoysBoys652 said:

That's an opinion. The majority like this song.

Oh ---- agreed!! I not only like, but I LOVE this song! I just wish the recording reflected what I hear when I listen to the song. 

Helxig

I LOVE this song. It is one of my all time favourites! It was a grower though, for the same reasons you mentioned. Some of the most beautiful parts get a bit lost. But what got it there for me is that I blast the album in my car where it sounds amazing. On a computer or my TV or anywhere else it isn't so great, but in my car it is subliiiime 

I'll be myself until they fūcking close the coffin.

ReidOne

...that is the importance of a good mixer. The song can be dope as hell. But if the recording doesn't convey it, then you are on your own. 

Oh ---- agreed!! I not only like, but I LOVE this song! I just wish the recording reflected what I hear when I listen to the song. 

There's edits like fake demo versions that show more or less how I visioned the song turning out, they need to stop lowering the volume on synths and stop focusing so much on bass and drum reverbs

This sounds so poetic :diane:

To me the problem with Heavy Metal Lover is that it ends too fast to me :giveup:I wanted it to be a little bit longer, so I could enjoy this awesome song even more:rockstar:

There could be a 1000 doves in the sky...

ReidOne
Just now, Helxig said:

I LOVE this song. It is one of my all time favourites! It was a grower though, for the same reasons you mentioned. Some of the most beautiful parts get a bit lost. But what got it there for me is that I blast the album in my car where it sounds amazing. On a computer or my TV or anywhere else it isn't so great, but in my car it is subliiiime 

I think you prove my point exactly with this! "Heavy Metal Lover" in the car is perfection... in a small space, where you can crank the volume and hear it for what it is, regardless of it's mixing. But when listening in other environments, I struggle to replicate that experience. Which points precisely to the shortcomings of the mixing. A good track can be played in its most brilliant state in any environment. 

ReidOne

Let me be clear!! ---- at the end of the day, "Heavy Metal Lover" is still one of my all time favorite songs that Gaga has ever recorded. Wouldn't trade it for the world. But that's also precisely why I'm so critical. It's so close to perfection, I just want to hear it in all its intended glory. 

the whole Born This Way album suffers from this problem. specially Born This Way the song which feels like it has been tortured over million times before being released. 

I hope LG5 won't have this issue. 

月にかわって、おしおきよ!🌙

Archived