💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Most critically overrated vs. most critically underrated

StrawberryBlond

Featured Posts

Bradley

Overrated: Taylor Swift, her old work might be more praiseworthy but seriously 1989 is just basic generic pop music. Even Teenage Dream and PRISM are less generic than that.

Underrated: Imagine Dragons, I know they look like just another pop/rock band but in comparison with Maroon 5, who's much more famous, I find Imagine Dragons' music to be more innovative and meaningful, I guess. I do like Maroon 5 though.

Underrated: Lady Gaga, for her acting in American Horror Story. She's been receiving praise but I think some critics are still doubtful of her and I think she deserves more recognition.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
politicqxs

lana del rey is neither overrated nor underrated

giving up sodomy and moving to 🇩đŸ‡Ș converting to â˜Ș and marrying four girls

Duella Dvil
3 hours ago, Prismatic said:

Material Girl, LAV, Into The Groove, Dress You Up, Love Don't. So nope. 

I should have corrected myself and say both LAV & TD gave the respective artist their geepee "image". 

Into the groove corresponds with a movie/club release buzz single, it was added in a reissue.

I forgot Dress You Up was on there, so is Crazy for You...

You're right.

Both True Blue and LAV

Really though,  Madonna through Like A Prayer were flawfree. (From the GP standpoint). Then Erotica  (Ha ARTPOP), Bedtime Stories... Well, it exists... Ray of Light (Ha cheek to Cheek we luv ha again) Music (Ha I'm still awesome y'all) American Life (Ha ARTPOP Act 2, only... it happened :derpga:) then Godly Confessions on A Dancefloor :firega:

Then... (in the eye of the GP) dead.

Though her tours sold PHENOMENALLY WELL ...the albums make little to no splash... besides dance charts...

Which makes me sad because Hard Candy and Rebel Heart bring me LIIIIFE

www.instagram.com/theduella666

OBEY

YAAAS PRAISE LANA AND THE PRETTY RECKLESS :applause: 

4 hours ago, YaaaasGaga said:

Most Overrated Artists: 

Kate Bush - I cannot stand that woman's voice. Theres something about it that just irritates me to the core of my being.

:wtf: have you listened to things that aren't Wuthering Heights.  

Kate is a story telling genius and  true innovator in music

Ciccone Madonna
9 minutes ago, Uncle ARTPOP said:

Into the groove corresponds with a movie/club release buzz single, it was added in a reissue.

I forgot Dress You Up was on there, so is Crazy for You...

You're right.

Both True Blue and LAV

Really though,  Madonna through Like A Prayer were flawfree. (From the GP standpoint). Then Erotica  (Ha ARTPOP), Bedtime Stories... Well, it exists... Ray of Light (Ha cheek to Cheek we luv ha again) Music (Ha I'm still awesome y'all) American Life (Ha ARTPOP Act 2, only... it happened :derpga:) then Godly Confessions on A Dancefloor :firega:

Then... (in the eye of the GP) dead.

Though her tours sold PHENOMENALLY WELL ...the albums make little to no splash... besides dance charts...

Which makes me sad because Hard Candy and Rebel Heart bring me LIIIIFE

Ep i am the eldest in the company that have lived all eras.

Like a Virgin had two HUGE songs Like a Virgin and Material Girl, Angel was everywhere at the radio  due to madonna craze people were asking for more madonna. Dress You Up was playing in every night club. And dont talk about the slayage of Into the Groove. Don be fooled by no.5 on Billboard.

GP  left madonna after 1991 pre erotica era. She regained with Bedtime Stories. Evita and Ray of Light the gp.

StrawberryBlond
18 hours ago, Harry said:

here we go again

17 hours ago, Spock said:

This list

this user

giphy.gif

Repeating the same old complaints over and over doesn't bother me, you should realise that by now. But what does bother me is how people actually like what you have to say. Liking a piece of bullying is low.

17 hours ago, JEWRJEWR said:

The only thing I'll say is that the amount of ignorance (in this thread) is a bit disturbing. 

It's not ignorance, it's personal opinion. It's only mistaken for ignorance in the minds of music snobs. Music affects us all differently and that's the end of it. There wouldn't be terms like "overrated" and "underrated" if music was subjective.

16 hours ago, Uncle ARTPOP said:

Which I honestly don't think she deserves....

Like.

She can only give us good recordings of her songs (I stanned for her listening to ALL of her music released and unreleased, then started to listen to live stuff... :wtf: I was shook) on her albums. If you can't perform your songs live, not asking for an all out Madonna sized concert, and have them sound good musically. I can't participate in your music. At that point you are NOT a musician you are simply a recorded singer.

She used to be bad live, she's awesome now. If she's performing for her fans especially, she really comes alive. She can do semi operatic notes and everything. I used to think the same as you but then I heard that she's better now and I went to see her live and was blown away.

Harry
20 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Repeating the same old complaints over and over doesn't bother me, you should realise that by now. But what does bother me is how people actually like what you have to say. Liking a piece of bullying is low.

How is being tired of your bias and uneducated nonsense bullying? Some people actually do get bullied so I don't think you should throw that term around so loosely, in turn trivialising their problems.

On topic, there's a difference between subjectively not enjoying something, and objectively seeing the artistic merit and innovation in the work of a particular artist. Someone who can't appreciate artists like Björk, The Beatles, Radiohead and Kendrick Lamar but champions artists like Demi Lovato should not be considered very knowledgeable about music. And let me repeat before you try it: that has nothing to do with subjective taste. But of the artists listed in the "overrated" category you try to dismiss any praise to the majority of them just because YOU don't personally like them.

I mean, even The Beatles... Sorry to say but you genuinely don't know much about popular music if you think they are only praised because "you're supposed to". I wouldn't consider myself a fan outside of a few songs, but you don't simply become the most influential band in the world by chance. Their impact and influence is simply factual and I find it hilarious that someone who proclaims to be a critic would ever try and dismiss that. There's even entire Wikipedia pages about their impact on pop culture/music and their use of recording technology. That's probably a good place for you to start your research. This might help you avoid coming across as so uneducated in future: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_impact_of_the_Beatles & https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beatles%27_recording_technology

Happy learning!

StrawberryBlond
44 minutes ago, Harry said:

How is being tired of your bias and uneducated nonsense bullying? Some people actually do get bullied so I don't think you should throw that term around so loosely, in turn trivialising their problems.

On topic, there's a difference between subjectively not enjoying something, and objectively seeing the artistic merit and innovation in the work of a particular artist. Someone who can't appreciate artists like Björk, The Beatles, Radiohead and Kendrick Lamar but champions artists like Demi Lovato should not be considered very knowledgeable about music. And let me repeat before you try it: that has nothing to do with subjective taste. But of the artists listed in the "overrated" category you try to dismiss any praise to the majority of them just because YOU don't personally like them.

I mean, even The Beatles... Sorry to say but you genuinely don't know much about popular music if you think they are only praised because "you're supposed to". I wouldn't consider myself a fan outside of a few songs, but you don't simply become the most influential band in the world by chance. Their impact and influence is simply factual and I find it hilarious that someone who proclaims to be a critic would ever try and dismiss that. There's even entire Wikipedia pages about their impact on pop culture/music and their use of recording technology. That's probably a good place for you to start your research. This might help you avoid coming across as so uneducated in future: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_impact_of_the_Beatles & https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beatles%27_recording_technology

Happy learning!

Because you act this way every time I state my opinion, just to bring me down. That is obsessive and petty and it's most certainly cyberbullying, if you want to be specific. Don't you ever understand how hurtful that is to think someone follows you about, just waiting to speak bad about you? I think I know a bit about bullying, thank you. I've been made to feel different my whole life and I think there's just something about me that just draws people to treat me badly before I've even said anything. So, think before you accuse me of trivialising the term of bullying. You know nothing about my past.

I didn't say I can't appreciate these artists talents, just that their actual output doesn't do anything for me. I think giving a good score on an album just because there's talent behind it is pointless. It means you won't remember what YOU like. When I look back at my reviews to select the best albums of the year, it's a hard job, especially when so many are rated the same. So, that 5 star scoring system based completely on what it does for me and me alone, is key in working out how to rank them and also key to compiling my favourite albums of all time list. If I just gave everything a good score because there was talent behind it, my scores would mean nothing. Music is about a personal experience and if it doesn't move me, a good score is meaningless. All that matters is what the individual thinks about an album, be they a qualified critic or Joe Public. Art wasn't designed to be liked by everyone and if everyone does like a particular piece of art, well, chances are, it's very boring and doesn't challenge. And why do you keep bringing up Demi just because I praised one album of hers? I don't even call myself a fan, but you focus right in on that like it defines me as someone who doesn't know what I'm talking about. You act like it's a crime to like something that may possibly be considered low brow. I'm not uneducated about music, I just have my own opinion. It's not the same thing. For someone who once accused me of being a music snob (ironic, I'm against pretentiousness), you sure come across like one yourself. I dismissed these artists praise because that's the whole point of calling someone overrated. This whole thread is about subjective taste, if you hadn't already gathered. What's the point in making a thread about something if all anyone does is question why you didn't make it about something else?

I didn't say The Beatles were only praised because people feel like they're supposed to, just that this is what it FEELS like at times. Like it or not, they've been drummed into us as being the best of the best and that's going to have an effect to some degree. That's what leads something to be overrated. And nothing annoys me more in music than when I think people are being forced into liking or disliking something by what the majority think. I never said they didn't have impact or influence, just that it hasn't impacted or influenced me. I critique music for the everyday person and from a purely personal view, like it should be done. I don't praise something just because there's talent behind it or it's made by a legend. Nor would I bash something just because they're not the biggest talent or they're not well-known or well-liked. That's what being fair's about. And seriously, happy learning? And you call me self-righteous and arrogant?

Take a look at this, it's about film, but the same can equally be applied for music. Pay special attention to the conclusion, as that perfectly sums up what I feel about critiquing something and what I think of art:

Swan Heart

Radiohead, Björk and Kendrick Lamar, overrated? Gurl, these are some of the most fascinating musical acts of our time..

They say it's the last song. They don't know us, you see. It's only the last song if we let it be.

brizoda

overrated : Adele, Maroon5, Kanye West, Beyoncé, Coldplay

underrated : ARTPOP

Overrated:

Beyonce - The media acts like she's some god, but she has not done anything extraordinary. 

Drake - Am I missing something? Kendrick is leagues better.

Underrated: The list would be too long.

YaaaasGaga
16 hours ago, Grace said:

:wtf: have you listened to things that aren't Wuthering Heights.  

Kate is a story telling genius and  true innovator in music

I have, I just can't deal with the shrill voice. I have no doubt she's iconic and very intelligent, I just can't bring myself to listen to her haha

Archived