Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Why ARTPOP was different

llbcherry

Featured Posts

llbcherry

I don't know how many of you read the Billboard article for her WOTY issue, but I have the issue here in front of me, and something jumped out at me. I think ARTPOP was sonically very different than her previous albums, especially due to the heavy EDM beats. Gaga said this:

"People think, 'You can just sit down at a piano whenever you want and write,' but I couldn't write for two f***ing years. For ARTPOP, I was doing beats instead. I didn't want to be near that damn [piano]. It was too emotional. I would start to play and sing, and my mind would go, 'You are way too talented for this sh*t. F***, your voice sounds so good. F***, that's a beautiful chord. F***, that's an amazing lyric. Why are you letting these people run you into the ground? When did you become the fashionable robot?', Can't being an artist be enough?"

It seems like Gaga couldn't stand being at the piano, where she arguably does her best work. Instead, she built the songs from the beat up. 

I think she is back to her roots now, after working with Tony and focusing on just "being an artist." She has shared pics of her at the piano. So it seems she is back to her usual way of writing songs. And that makes me really excited! This explains why, to some, ARTPOP seemed... Different. Thoughts?

LaLuna

She just wasn't in the right frame of mind for ARTPOP. She had kind of lost sight of who she was as an artist, but she did the best she could with that album, which to me is still a pretty damn decent one as far as pop albums go. 

malazam

''It's obvoius. She used every song Lina had written'' - 11 years old, conspirancy fanatic.

jk, don't come for me :wtfga:

another shot before we kiss the other side

llbcherry

Don't get me wrong, I love ARTPOP. It just seemed different in a way I couldn't place. The fact that the songs were structurally created in a different way makes sense.

2 minutes ago, malazam said:

''It's obvoius she used every song Lina had written'' - 11 years old, conspirancy fanatic.

jk, don't come for me :wtfga:

She must have ran out of Lina material. :stalkga:

When she was on the process of making ARTPOP, she was a mess. The album itself is the embodiment of the mess she gathered along the way. All of her albums reflect how she was when they were still under development. She definitely wasn't at her best during ARTPOP so I can totally see your point why it's different from it's predecessors and C2C.

joemayzzin

I'm very grateful ARTPOP happened because I LIVE for electronic music with hard beats so when it was released I was just in love with the new sound she created!

every album of hers to me is very different cause The Fame was just FRESH new POP music, The Fame Monster was dark but still had a fresh sound along with her using instruments along with Born This Way but it had a the message about loving yourself and being a strong/confident in who you are as a person, but they all hold a special place in my eardrums and heart.

ARTPOP was the EDM album I personally needed from her but thats just my opinion! 

I think LG5 will have a mixture cause lets face it Gaga loves electronic music but i feel most of the songs will have her "musical talents" with using the piano and other instruments!

Stephen

I remember in a radio interview around the release of Applause she was saying how most of the album was written on top of beats, like how a lot of rappers make music. 

SissyFromSpace

it was different because the EDM trend died 3 years before AP was released.

Barbie elitist - Weaboo - Sissy

Katsuki Bakugo

Explains her buying songs instead of creating them from scratch

If All You Ever Do Is Look Down On People, You Won't Be Able To Recognize Your Own Weaknesses.

llbcherry

Well I'm pretty sure from interviews that she helped create the beats. She didn't just buy them or anything. But it's such a different approach.

Alien Tulip
13 minutes ago, DeathofSamantha said:

:air: 

Gagz4Gaga

i don't care. ARTPOP was a beautiful disaster. it was an acidic healing. i loved it the way it was, and the way it is now. :hor:

nostalgia’s for geeks

JevyDuty
17 minutes ago, DeathofSamantha said:

What songs did she buy?

Katsuki Bakugo
Just now, Larry Hill said:

What songs did she buy?

Aura obviously. 

DWUW is clearly a rip off of that other song ( so technically DJWS did) 

MJH was not her song originally. 

If All You Ever Do Is Look Down On People, You Won't Be Able To Recognize Your Own Weaknesses.

Sister

This does seem clear while listening to it. To me, all of the songs were just very synthetic feeling. Most songs are fine, but soul and blood was definitely missing and it's noticeable, to me. This and the album if done by another pop artist would be enough, but as a fan of Gaga, in particular, it's not. This is a compliment.

The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Archived