other

The K-Pop Thread

Taylor

Featured Posts

PopReaper

wait Nicole released a pretty groovy single recently :music:

Fun Fact: The K in KPop stands for "Kate Bush"

PoshLife

nnnn I forgot how controversial Face My Fears was among Kingdom Hearts fans who thought it didn't fit the mood of the game (and just generally not everyone likes EDM). Utada released a visualizer for it today, I think it's having a moment cuz Kingdom Hearts is coming to Steam, same reason they released re-recordings of Hikari and Simple and Clean. Funny enough people really don't remember the song that well. One person said they don't like it cuz they don't like rap (??) and one person said "wow this is so much better than that trash with Skrillex" even though it's literally the same as before, nothing was changed??

The visualizer is super pretty btw, starts kinda slow but some cool stuff happens starting at the first chorus

PopReaper
2 hours ago, PoshLife said:

nnnn I forgot how controversial Face My Fears was among Kingdom Hearts fans who thought it didn't fit the mood of the game (and just generally not everyone likes EDM). Utada released a visualizer for it today, I think it's having a moment cuz Kingdom Hearts is coming to Steam, same reason they released re-recordings of Hikari and Simple and Clean. Funny enough people really don't remember the song that well. One person said they don't like it cuz they don't like rap (??) and one person said "wow this is so much better than that trash with Skrillex" even though it's literally the same as before, nothing was changed??

The visualizer is super pretty btw, starts kinda slow but some cool stuff happens starting at the first chorus

I didn't care for Face My Fears on a first listen either (mostly bc I thought it sounded dated tbh), but it's grown on me since. I prefer the AG Cook remix over the original tho

PoshLife

Artists I really like but whose latest releases have disappointed me:

Sunmi, "Balloon in Love"
BOL4, "Lips"
Perfume, "Sumikko Disco" and "The Light" (I really like Moon but these two songs have me very worried about their next album)
Utada, "Electricity" (sorryyyyy)
Wednesday Campanella, their entire new album
Chanmina, "Forgive Me" 

Oh it's bad for me

PopReaper

@PoshLife Do you listen to Tommy february6? I had spent a long time not really bothering to check out her stuff because I assumed it'd be J-rock/pop rock which isn't usually my style, but decided to listen to her debut album yesterday and I'm obsessed :giveup: No skips and it's all 80s synthpop jams from start to finish :music:

PoshLife
21 hours ago, PopReaper said:

@PoshLife Do you listen to Tommy february6? I had spent a long time not really bothering to check out her stuff because I assumed it'd be J-rock/pop rock which isn't usually my style, but decided to listen to her debut album yesterday and I'm obsessed :giveup: No skips and it's all 80s synthpop jams from start to finish :music:

No, I don't think I've even heard that name before. What's the album called, I'll check it out

PopReaper

No, I don't think I've even heard that name before. What's the album called, I'll check it out

:gaycat:

Edited by PopReaper

PoshLife
3 hours ago, PopReaper said:

:gaycat:

I listened to Kiss One More Time and it's been in my head all morning. Just listened to the first half of the album, it's definitely good. I'll listen to the second half soon.

It's making me kinda sentimental cuz I didn't start listening to Utada until a couple years after this album came out (around 2004), but it was when she was still active so I might have encountered it if Spotify or Apple Music existed at the time. It was really hard to stumble into other jpop artists back when all I had was the iTunes store (though I did manage to find Perfume and Orange Caramel's jpop album at the time).

• Like 1

PopReaper
5 hours ago, PoshLife said:

I listened to Kiss One More Time and it's been in my head all morning. Just listened to the first half of the album, it's definitely good. I'll listen to the second half soon.

It's making me kinda sentimental cuz I didn't start listening to Utada until a couple years after this album came out (around 2004), but it was when she was still active so I might have encountered it if Spotify or Apple Music existed at the time. It was really hard to stumble into other jpop artists back when all I had was the iTunes store (though I did manage to find Perfume and Orange Caramel's jpop album at the time).

Right? And even as late as the mid-2010s it was still very hard to discover new J-Pop artists to listen to because of how hermetic and inaccessible Japanese music was (and still is sometimes) when it came to having their content available on Youtube and other Western streaming platforms. 

PoshLife
52 minutes ago, PopReaper said:

Right? And even as late as the mid-2010s it was still very hard to discover new J-Pop artists to listen to because of how hermetic and inaccessible Japanese music was (and still is sometimes) when it came to having their content available on Youtube and other Western streaming platforms. 

Yeah it really is recent that you can find their stuff on our streaming platforms. Some artists I like still only have a fraction of their discographies on Spotify (and then of course there's Namie...). Gosh I remember this really slow website you had to go to just to watch Japanese music videos because they weren't posting them on YouTube for the longest time, or just like one-minute pieces of them.

Oh and remember when we had to go to sites like k2nblog (I can't believe I remember that name) to download kpop songs? :smh: 

The reason I was thinking about this is cuz the only stuff of tommy february6's that I can find on spotify are from the early 2000s, but according to wikipedia she released an album in 2013 and a few singles more recently than that. 

PopReaper

Yeah it really is recent that you can find their stuff on our streaming platforms. Some artists I like still only have a fraction of their discographies on Spotify (and then of course there's Namie...). Gosh I remember this really slow website you had to go to just to watch Japanese music videos because they weren't posting them on YouTube for the longest time, or just like one-minute pieces of them.

Oh and remember when we had to go to sites like k2nblog (I can't believe I remember that name) to download kpop songs? :smh: 

The reason I was thinking about this is cuz the only stuff of tommy february6's that I can find on spotify are from the early 2000s, but according to wikipedia she released an album in 2013 and a few singles more recently than that. 

nnnnn I vividly remember having to go on k2nblog and HulKpop every 5 minutes immediately after any group I stanned dropped an album so I could have it on my iTunes app :toofunny: