šŸ’™ HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT šŸ’š

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

The K-Pop Thread

Taylor

Featured Posts

PoshLife

I didn't love Feedback but everything else she's put out in the past 2-3 years has been fantastic, especially the Woman album and the Japanese album whose name I CANNOT type :emma:Ā 

PoshLife
2 minutes ago, PopReaper said:

@PoshLifeĀ found out recently that Wednesday Campanella has collabed with Chvrches and the song kinda bops:

Ā 

:music:

okay wait I really like this. "Outta my outta my outta my head :music:Ā "

I swear JPop has given us some unexpected but really good collabs with Western artists, like Charli XCX and Kyary Pamyu Pamyu's* "Crazy Crazy" and Perfume and OK Go's "I Don't Understand You"

Ā 

*I promise I'm not gonna bring up that time someone spelled it "Kary Payme Payme" which was like four years ago at this point :flop:Ā 

PoshLife

I didn't even get into kpop until 2014 so I feel very unqualified to do that lol

also I feel like my favorite songs now are the same as my favorite songs from like three years ago - Catallena, Love is Energy, Expectation, Airplane, Hair Short... I don't think anything that came out in the past two years would even make my top 40.

Edit: I will have a ranking for 2019 though :lolly:

Edited by PoshLife

PopReaper

I wrote a Top 20 list for my favorite singlesĀ of the decade + my Top 20Ā  b-sides a couple of weeks ago, but I forgot to save it and lost it :emma:Ā Will rewrite it tho

Tried to limit it to 1 song per artist (allowing for an exception or two) so it wouldn't be just a bunch of SHINee/LOONA/Red Velvet/f(x)Ā singles & b-sides ddddd

Will try and make a (shorter) list for my favorite J-Pop songs too

Edited by PopReaper
Fun Fact: The K in KPop stands for "Kate Bush"

PoshLife

Hmm I could definitely do like a "favorite song from each artist this decade" sort of thing. That would be hard though, like how would I pick just one BoA song or just one Taeyeon song.

As of this week, I now have 25 English songs that I liked this year, so I'm gonna do a top 25 for kpop, jpop, and epop.

I'll post them on 12/31 lol

Irrelevant
5 hours ago, PoshLife said:

I didn't even get into kpop until 2014 so I feel very unqualified to do that lol

I got into kpop this yearĀ :poot:

ź“‘ģ•¼ė”œ ź±øģ–“ź°€ ģ•Œģ•„ ė„¤ home ground
  • Like 1

Irrelevant

nct dorms are really nice compared to other idols wtf

also how is his skin so perfectĀ :excuseu:

Edited by Irrelevant
ź“‘ģ•¼ė”œ ź±øģ–“ź°€ ģ•Œģ•„ ė„¤ home ground
  • YAAAS 1

Neight Shayde

2010-2014 was an extension of the renaissance of the last decade it'll be hard to pick songs. 2015 to now... not so much

Ā 

2 hours ago, Irrelevant said:

nct dorms are really nice compared to other idols wtf

they even have a helper (per dorm room since they have two rooms) who cleans and cooks for them. compared to idol dorm situations before they're all living in luxury rn

Edited by BrothaGaga
  • Shook 1

PoshLife

Okay this is it. I'm ready to share my P-Cubed ranking. It's not perfect- especially in the middle third, there could definitely be some shuffling around - but I really can't keep listening to these songs to try and order them or it'll ruin them for me :laughga:

Here's my definitive Perfume ranking:

Spoiler

1. Spending All My Time
2. Dream Fighter
3. Tokyo Girl
4. Nananananairo
5. Electro World
6. Pick Me Up
7. FLASH
8. Chocolate Disco
9. One Room Disco
10. Star Train
11. Polyrhythm
12. DISPLAY
13. MY COLOR
14. edge (āŠæ-mix)
15. Spring of Life
16. Laser Beam
17. Magic of Love (Album-mix)
18. 1mm
19. Natural ni Koishite
20. Fushizen na Girl
21. Mugen Mirai
22. love the world
23. Cling Cling
24. Let Me Know
25. Sweet Refrain
26. Future Pop
27. If You Wanna
28. Relax in the City
29. Daijobanai
30. Hurly Burly
31. I still love U
32. NIGHT FLIGHT
33. FAKE IT
34. Challenger
35. Computer City
36. Secret Secret
37. Perfect Star Perfect Style
38. Linear Motor Girl
39. Everyday
40. Hold Your Hand
41. VOICE
42. Kasuka na Kaori
43. Baby Cruising Love
44. SEVENTH HEAVEN
45. Mirai no Museum
46. GAME
47. Nee
48. Spice
49. Macaroni
50. STORY
51. FUSION
52. Party Maker

And here's the ranking with some annotations cuz y'all know I have lots of opinions on things:

Spoiler

1. Spending All My TimeĀ (This is the song that started my love affair with Perfume; it'll always be #1 even if there are other songs I stan a bit more at any give moment)
2. Dream Fighter
3. Tokyo Girl
4. Nananananairo
5. Electro World (I only discovered this while listening to P-Cubed, and holy crap it's amazing. Definitely the best song from their early years.)
6. Pick Me Up
7. FLASHĀ (This could have been a few higher, but there's something wrong with the audio mixing - especially in the last chorus you can barely hear their voices over the noisy instrumental. This was really the start of Nakata's "my instrumentals are more important than anything else" era and it shows.)
8. Chocolate Disco
9. One Room Disco
10. Star Train
11. Polyrhythm
12. DISPLAY
13. MY COLORĀ (This was a surprise. I'd never heard this song before and I really love it. Kind of interesting that I rank it so much higher than very similar songs like Secret Secret and Spice, but something about it just clicks. I could have placed it even higher but I wanted to correct for the fact that there's a definite novelty bias here, since the song is new to me.)
14. edge (āŠæ-mix)Ā (This is also a surprise - I usually never go for these gigantic long complextro pieces (you'll see the other ones are at the very bottom of the ranking), but I really like this one. I think Nakata really perfected the buildup-payoff dynamic with this one, since the three-minute mark is so triumphant, and then the breakdown at 5:34 is f*cking magical.)
15. Spring of LifeĀ (I never like this song until I start playing it and then I really like it.)
16. Laser Beam
17. Magic of Love (Album-mix)Ā (This would have ranked significantly higher if it had been the single version. The album mix doesn't really work for me.)
18. 1mm
19. Natural ni Koishite
20. Fushizen na Girl
21. Mugen Mirai (Everything from here to Computer City still feels really tentative - these are songs I enjoy fine but don't usually reach for, and I had a lot of trouble placing them relative to each other. Mugen Mirai I like more than the other FUTURE POP "no real chorus" songs like Let Me Know and Future Pop, especially for the final minute.)
22. love the world
23. Cling ClingĀ (This song would have ranked a lot higher if it was the album mix! One of the few Perfume songs where I like the album mix more than the original.)
24. Let Me Know
25. Sweet Refrain
26. Future Pop
27. If You Wanna
28. Relax in the City
29. Daijobanai
30. Hurly Burly
31. I still love U
32. NIGHT FLIGHT
33. FAKE ITĀ (Kind of funny this song is so close to the middle of the ranking, since it's half-good song and half-pointless noise.)
34. ChallengerĀ (Definitely the weakest of the three post-FUTURE POP releases. Saisei would have ranked much higher than this.)
35. Computer City
36. Secret Secret
38. Linear Motor Girl
39. Everyday
40. Hold Your HandĀ (I still don't understand why this was included.)
41. VOICE
42. Kasuka na Kaori
43. Baby Cruising Love
44. SEVENTH HEAVEN
45. Mirai no Museum(I don't really like this song but whenever I listen to it it occurs to me that it actually sounds like a museum, like I feel like I should be looking at fine art and sculptures while it's playing lol.)
46. GAME
47. Nee
48. Spice
49. Macaroni
50. STORYĀ (This is kind of cool and has some good moments but it just can't compare toĀ  their actual songs. With the ecxeption of "edge" all of what I consider their "non-songs" went at the bottom by default.)
51. FUSION
52. Party Maker

Ā 

• Like 1

PopReaper
6 hours ago, PoshLife said:

Okay this is it. I'm ready to share my P-Cubed ranking. It's not perfect- especially in the middle third, there could definitely be some shuffling around - but I really can't keep listening to these songs to try and order them or it'll ruin them for me :laughga:

Here's my definitive Perfume ranking:

Ā  Reveal hidden contents

1. Spending All My Time
2. Dream Fighter
3. Tokyo Girl
4. Nananananairo
5. Electro World
6. Pick Me Up
7. FLASH
8. Chocolate Disco
9. One Room Disco
10. Star Train
11. Polyrhythm
12. DISPLAY
13. MY COLOR
14. edge (āŠæ-mix)
15. Spring of Life
16. Laser Beam
17. Magic of Love (Album-mix)
18. 1mm
19. Natural ni Koishite
20. Fushizen na Girl
21. Mugen Mirai
22. love the world
23. Cling Cling
24. Let Me Know
25. Sweet Refrain
26. Future Pop
27. If You Wanna
28. Relax in the City
29. Daijobanai
30. Hurly Burly
31. I still love U
32. NIGHT FLIGHT
33. FAKE IT
34. Challenger
35. Computer City
36. Secret Secret
38. Linear Motor Girl
39. Everyday
40. Hold Your Hand
41. VOICE
42. Kasuka na Kaori
43. Baby Cruising Love
44. SEVENTH HEAVEN
45. Mirai no Museum
46. GAME
47. Nee
48. Spice
49. Macaroni
50. STORY
51. FUSION
52. Party Maker

And here's the ranking with some annotations cuz y'all know I have lots of opinions on things:

Ā  Hide contents

1. Spending All My TimeĀ (This is the song that started my love affair with Perfume; it'll always be #1 even if there are other songs I stan a bit more at any give moment)
2. Dream Fighter
3. Tokyo Girl
4. Nananananairo
5. Electro World (I only discovered this while listening to P-Cubed, and holy crap it's amazing. Definitely the best song from their early years.)
6. Pick Me Up
7. FLASHĀ (This could have been a few higher, but there's something wrong with the audio mixing - especially in the last chorus you can barely hear their voices over the noisy instrumental. This was really the start of Nakata's "my instrumentals are more important than anything else" era and it shows.)
8. Chocolate Disco
9. One Room Disco
10. Star Train
11. Polyrhythm
12. DISPLAY
13. MY COLORĀ (This was a surprise. I'd never heard this song before and I really love it. Kind of interesting that I rank it so much higher than very similar songs like Secret Secret and Spice, but something about it just clicks. I could have placed it even higher but I wanted to correct for the fact that there's a definite novelty bias here, since the song is new to me.)
14. edge (āŠæ-mix)Ā (This is also a surprise - I usually never go for these gigantic long complextro pieces (you'll see the other ones are at the very bottom of the ranking), but I really like this one. I think Nakata really perfected the buildup-payoff dynamic with this one, since the three-minute mark is so triumphant, and then the breakdown at 5:34 is f*cking magical.)
15. Spring of LifeĀ (I never like this song until I start playing it and then I really like it.)
16. Laser Beam
17. Magic of Love (Album-mix)Ā (This would have ranked significantly higher if it had been the single version. The album mix doesn't really work for me.)
18. 1mm
19. Natural ni Koishite
20. Fushizen na Girl
21. Mugen Mirai (Everything from here to Computer City still feels really tentative - these are songs I enjoy fine but don't usually reach for, and I had a lot of trouble placing them relative to each other. Mugen Mirai I like more than the other FUTURE POP "no real chorus" songs like Let Me Know and Future Pop, especially for the final minute.)
22. love the world
23. Cling ClingĀ (This song would have ranked a lot higher if it was the album mix! One of the few Perfume songs where I like the album mix more than the original.)
24. Let Me Know
25. Sweet Refrain
26. Future Pop
27. If You Wanna
28. Relax in the City
29. Daijobanai
30. Hurly Burly
31. I still love U
32. NIGHT FLIGHT
33. FAKE ITĀ (Kind of funny this song is so close to the middle of the ranking, since it's half-good song and half-pointless noise.)
34. ChallengerĀ (Definitely the weakest of the three post-FUTURE POP releases. Saisei would have ranked much higher than this.)
35. Computer City
36. Secret Secret
38. Linear Motor Girl
39. Everyday
40. Hold Your HandĀ (I still don't understand why this was included.)
41. VOICE
42. Kasuka na Kaori
43. Baby Cruising Love
44. SEVENTH HEAVEN
45. Mirai no Museum(I don't really like this song but whenever I listen to it it occurs to me that it actually sounds like a museum, like I feel like I should be looking at fine art and sculptures while it's playing lol.)
46. GAME
47. Nee
48. Spice
49. Macaroni
50. STORYĀ (This is kind of cool and has some good moments but it just can't compare toĀ  their actual songs. With the ecxeption of "edge" all of what I consider their "non-songs" went at the bottom by default.)
51. FUSION
52. Party Maker

Ā 

Will write mine next weekĀ :gaycat:Ā  Top 15 is most likely gonna be JPN and LEVEL3-heavy

Spoiler

and none for Future Pop :flop:

dddd @ Party Maker being last, it's probably my favorite out of their selection of meandering, 7-minute-long hardcore EDM moments

Edited by PopReaper
Fun Fact: The K in KPop stands for "Kate Bush"