Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Does Rihanna have any impact?

Quark

Featured Posts

14 minutes ago, UltralightBeam said:

gaga hasn't made an impact in nearly six years so. 

Umm, no, no, no, babe

tumblr_lslfbimaCo1qcc8ul.jpg

tumblr_lslfewFW6x1qcc8ul.jpg

tumblr_lslf9gHFBT1qcc8ul.jpg

+ Katy Keene's whole career, Bionic by Xtinct Aguilera, Rated R by Rijuanna + the super fan culture being back in the scene + edm/dance music being popular still to this day when everyone was releasing hip hop and cheesy pop tunes.

tryna go ask Alice, tryna catch that rabbit

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
eifulien

Well I could only dream if my peers in my country looked up that much to Gaga as they do to Rihanna. Work is heavy on the radio; I logged onto my FB account 1 hour ago to have 10+ friends who shared the Work video praising her and saying stuff like "she's back!"; I even see some gays on the dating app I use with golden growns on their faces or quote ANTI; last year BBHMM was a must-listen several times when you're in the club, and you can hear at least 4-5 RiRi songs, whereas Gaga is non-existent at this point (and we know that ARTPOP can snatch everyone's weave in the club). So this made me realise that her presence in my country has always been nothing short of HUGE. @melefterov @Yanko @Slavi do you agree with me that there is like a BIG Navy here?

So to answer directly - yes Rihanna has quite an impact around the globe no matter what your definition is. I wish Gaga was as respected and appreciated but she still largely remains a polarising artist even though her impact in your definition is much bigger. When I say I love Gaga I get the stares, when I say I love Rihanna everyone's flocking to chat about ha. :laughga:

7 minutes ago, SEVDALIZA said:

Rita Ora, Tinashe, Little Mix, Fifth Harmony, Ellie Goulding, Selena Gomez , Willow Smith & Demi Lovato sited her as inspiration and these are only the ones that I'm aware of, I'm sure there's plenty more.

-Honored with the CFDA Fashion Icon Achievement Award (given to her by the fashion industry).
-Was named the most influential pop star in the U.K. (2013).
-Honored with the Icon Award at the AMA's.

-Time named her the most influential  (2012).

-Has some of the biggest and most critically acclaimed pop songs out of all current pop stars (Umbrella, Diamonds etc). Call me when other pop stars make it on lists like the top 500 best songs of all time or have their songs graded as 2th best song of the year according to Pazz & Jop and Acclaimedmusic.

-Spawned several fashion trends throughout her career that influenced street wear.

-Sold over 200 million records (with nearly 40 million of them being albums).

-Her music has popularized rhythmic, monosyllabic hooks in pop.

-She was selling out stadiums all over the world with her last tour.

And for the record, I don't think records like Umbrella, Diamonds, Man Down, most of Rated R & Unapologetic are safe or trendy.

Most of her impact seems to be on fashion though. And selling lots of records is not what I call impact. Umbrella and Diamonds are definitely safe and trendy.

OmgSum1Actually

Work is weak #1, same as Pillowtalk.. Like wtf?!

Shameless selfpromo

Jenniferella
6 minutes ago, Matangi said:

Work is weak #1, same as Pillowtalk.. Like wtf?!

Opinion ! I think Work is a killer song. 

OT : There's only one Rihanna, that's her impact basically.

"I have been writing LG5 since I was 13"

SEVDALIZA
Just now, Enigma said:

Most of her impact seems to be on fashion though. And selling lots of records is not what I call impact. Umbrella and Diamonds are definitely safe and trendy.

Why would a "safe and trendy" song receive widespread universal acclaim, be nominated for a bunch of grammys (and win too), become the most successful song of 2007, spending a few months on the top of the charts worldwide, become one of the most covered songs of all time additionally to it being the most played song on MTV ever and then later on be included in Pazz & Jop's annual list as the 2th best song of 2007 according to music critic's choice & a year later be included on Rolling Stone's top 500 best songs of all time. Why couldn't a different "safe and trendy" song in that year overshadow it then and make a greater impact? I mean, that would have made perfect sense since that song had no merit other than it being safe and trendy, right

operating from another world

Swan Heart

They say it's the last song. They don't know us, you see. It's only the last song if we let it be.

StrawberryBlond

Honestly, she doesn't have much. She's released so many albums and singles in such a short time that no one can keep up with her and she also has a lot of flops that are never mentioned. Her previous 2 albums only had 2 hits with a whole bunch of flops. In fact, she's only ever had more than 2 hits per album twice in her whole career (GGGB had 3 including Take A Bow from the re-release and Loud had 3 hits too). But apart from that, she actually struggles to get multiple hits per album. Yet, she's apparently a huge success. But I've seen artists who don't have her chart success being more iconic and having more love for them, i.e. Gaga and Beyonce. Most of the public can't remember the half of Rihanna's songs, hate to break it to you. It's just easy to think the public is the whole world when you're on a pop forum.

Haroon

She has major impact, I think she's one of the main reasons why EDM had a huuuge surge in popularity because of Only Girl and further on with We Found Love :flutter: Plus she doesn't seem "safe and trendy" at all to me, I mean where's the safety or trendiness in FourFiveSeconds and American Oxygen and We Found Love and Only Girl and Bitch Better Have My Money :laughga: Stay and Take A Bow weren't safe either I think, she went against the "typical" pop/rnbish thing she was known for and gave us some really deep ballads :gaycat: 

GloZell Green
1 hour ago, UltralightBeam said:

gaga hasn't made an impact in nearly six years so. 

I wonder what rock you were living under after Born This Way, even ARTPOP motivated others to try and be "artsy" and so fat it's failed for all of them.

Lady Gaga | Shakira

50 minutes ago, Son of ARTPOP said:

Well I could only dream if my peers in my country looked up that much to Gaga as they do to Rihanna. Work is heavy on the radio; I logged onto my FB account 1 hour ago to have 10+ friends who shared the Work video praising her and saying stuff like "she's back!"; I even see some gays on the dating app I use with golden growns on their faces or quote ANTI; last year BBHMM was a must-listen several times when you're in the club, and you can hear at least 4-5 RiRi songs, whereas Gaga is non-existent at this point (and we know that ARTPOP can snatch everyone's weave in the club). So this made me realise that her presence in my country has always been nothing short of HUGE. @melefterov @Yanko @Slavi do you agree with me that there is like a BIG Navy here?

So to answer directly - yes Rihanna has quite an impact around the globe no matter what your definition is. I wish Gaga was as respected and appreciated but she still largely remains a polarising artist even though her impact in your definition is much bigger. When I say I love Gaga I get the stares, when I say I love Rihanna everyone's flocking to chat about ha. :laughga:

People in Bulgaria are homophobic and we all know that LGBT people form 90% of this fanbase.. Nevertheless, G.U.Y was huge on the radio (better than DWUW and Applause if I'm not wrong).

Rihanna is big because of her "I can do whatever I want and get away with it" attitude which is highly appreciated in our country. 

migamiga

No and I've been saying this for years. Most of her hits are pretty forgettable except for Umbrella and WFL and maybe a few others. 

Which is fine I don't think she cares. It's just sad that she has more #1s than Michael

Jenniferella
41 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

It's just easy to think the public is the whole world when you're on a pop forum.

That's kind or ironic I think, according to someone whose overview on things sounds very self centered. I don't know where you live, but where I do, people mostly love Rihanna. I can honestly say I have never heard of anyone hating on her irl. She's (still) huge and there's no way one could deny that, hate to break it to you. She's men's eye candy and she also has an urban sound that is able to appeal to them. A lot of girls look up to her as well, just look ip up. She has that cool, kind of edgy aura that comes with her name/trademark that has been sticking for some years now. 

"I have been writing LG5 since I was 13"

Archived