Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Will Smith to skip Oscars

Morphine Prince

Featured Posts

Morphine Prince

Actor Will Smith, the blockbuster movie star who many thought would receive an Academy Awardnomination this year for his role in "Concussion," says he will not be attending the Oscars next month.

Smith, 47, spoke candidly to "Good Morning America” co-anchor Robin Roberts about issues surrounding Hollywood and diversity after it was revealed the 20 major acting nominees nominations for this year’s Oscars, for the second year in a row, are all white.

Source: https://gma.yahoo.com/smith-joins-wife-not-attending-oscars-124629423--abc-news-topstories.html

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PopThatArt
1 minute ago, Morphine Prince said:

Actor Will Smith, the blockbuster movie star who many thought would receive an Academy Awardnomination this year for his role in "Concussion," says he will not be attending the Oscars next month.

Smith, 47, spoke candidly to "Good Morning America” co-anchor Robin Roberts about issues surrounding Hollywood and diversity after it was revealed the 20 major acting nominees nominations for this year’s Oscars, for the second year in a row, are all white.

Source: https://gma.yahoo.com/smith-joins-wife-not-attending-oscars-124629423--abc-news-topstories.html

Oh no, his highness won't be there. Who cares. He isn't that great anyway. Boo hoo hoo hoo. Bunch of crybabies. 

Go see A Star is Born

PunkTheFunk

I can understand why he's upset but boycotting an event that happens once a year is not going to do anything. The problem with diversity in Hollywood is so much deeper than the Oscars.

What annoys me is that the Academy/The Oscars won't even care about this. Not turning up isn't going to hurt or damage the Oscars or the Academy, I mean for gods sake there's nearly 7000 members in the academy (i think) and most of them are white, old men; they really aren't going to give a ****. The whole problem is the fact that black actors aren't being nominated or winning any Oscars. There is such a lack of diversity in Hollywood and unfortunately not turning up to the Oscars isn't going to effect that massively 

The Child

Oh boohoohoo poor baby, you didn't get a nomination, poor you. You must be so devastated.

‘If religion be the cause of disunity, then irreligion is surely to be preferred.’ ‘Abdu’l-Bahá

A lot of great actors get snubbed every year and the chance of them being of color is even higher, but the Oscar's aren't the problem. Lack of diversity in Hollywood is. 

"You cannot win an [award] for roles that are simply not there." - Viola Davis 

Actors need to be approachable and relatable, that's why they cast white people with rather attractive looks most of the time (at least in theory). It's how they can make the most money. According to an article I read the other day, there were studies that prove this. I fear that the Western world isn't ready for people of color to play the lead in a movie that doesn't discuss race. I feel terrible for saying this, but just look at all the blockbusters. We might not think less of people of color, but Hollywood and the whole movie industry might see a risk in making them the lead actors and actresses.

It's not something only the US face though. For example here in Germany you can't get a leading role if you're Turkish. Turkish people are expected to play the thugs and the uneducated. :ohno:

Anyway, good for Will Smith for skipping the Academy Awards and shedding light on this issue. :applause:

StarstruckIllusion

I could smell the white tears in the thread before even opening it. Patronizing this as a hissy-fit. I see y'all :green:

Will you'll be missing the Chance to See The Legend that is Lady Gaga. Your loss

“The scars on my mind are on Replay”

DiscoHeaven23

Why hasn't he skipped in years past? 

Like in 2014. He was there. 

1393821625_will-smith-oscars-2014-divorc

Wait...Isn't that him there in 2007 too? Funny, he was nominated here, guess they weren't so bad. 

74674936-1.jpg

Guess the Oscars weren't so bad 14 years ago in 2002 either,  when he was nominated for Best Actor 

will-jada2.JPG?uuid=vdfeOM2eEeC0-Dl2eJiB

Will Smith's boycott isn't about the black race, its about Will Smith. 

Archived