Oscars whitewashed for a second year in a row

Jesse Pinkman

Featured Posts

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jonna Lee
24 minutes ago, Higher said:

We should have a segregated award show. One for whites and one for People of Color. 

tumblr_nhktb1q8Dv1r8jjn6o1_250.gif

i like it when u treat me mean it turns my mood from black to blue

1 minute ago, Jonna Lee said:

tumblr_nhktb1q8Dv1r8jjn6o1_250.gif

I didn't even mean it like that. Stop.

6H9gk6z.gif

Finally feeling free for the night, I got no worries. Finally got a claim on my life, baby, c'est la vie. ☄️

JanPianoMusic
25 minutes ago, Whispering said:

I agree, this is the reality of what's behind this accusation. There are simply more writers and roles for white males and young white women. The best writers are writing roles that are being filled with white actors. The best movies, with the best directors and producers, have mostly white leads. If the best roles in the best movies aren't going to POC, why should the Academy award POC in lesser roles, and ones that weren't as impressive? 

It all starts with getting writers to write movies for roles that can go to POC. Then, you have to find producers to get behind these movies and get the best directors, casting directors, etc. It can be done! Television shows are changing and Broadway has long been a step ahead, so the movie industry could do the same. 

Your first paragraph sounded very sarcastic when I first read it, but I don't think you're being sarcastic? Because I agree with everything you said. :)

You will never please everyone.

Redstreak

No no no it's just apparently much easier to believe that in two years and 40 nominations, no minority actor had a better performance. People who so easily dismiss things like this are def part of the problem and think racism has to be this big conscious evil thing.

Take a moment to think of just flexibility, love, and trust~

Sizzily

Well, there's nothing to do about it. Unless you want to make a petition on change dot org :flop:

One Banned Boi

malazam

The president of the Academy is a black person, srsly, get over it.

another shot before we kiss the other side

1 hour ago, Whispering said:

It wouldn't work, because movies aren't funded by the government or by the states. The movie companies and producers put up the money, so you can't tell them that they have to hire a certain percentage of POC for their film. 

It will all come down to POC (or those that are interested in opening the field to more diversity) starting their own movie companies, putting money behind getting writers to write the best movies of adapt the best scripts, hiring the best producers and directors, and finding excellent casting directors that can put the right actors of color in the right roles. 

Now you're on to something. With demographics changing rapidly in Western countries, POC entrepreneurs and organizations could take advantage of the new demand and compete with Hollywood. If Hollywood continues to alienate POC and other minorities and ethnic groups, it may burn them in the wallet fast.

Dancing in the Shadow... 🖤

7 hours ago, Metamorphosis said:

But J. Law just scored ger 4th nomination while there were several other acclaimed black roles which werw ignored.

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

JLaw is the current it girl it seems, she could do nothing and the academy would eat it up

He/They

GloZell Green

I'm all for racial equality, you all know, but really :awkney: It is possible for no black actors to deserve a nomination. 

Lady Gaga | Shakira

4 hours ago, FlopSlut said:

Well they shouldnt give special treatment to anyone. Its the best original song competition, and if the experts thought that certain songs werent well written or well sung or original then thats it. It shouldnt matter what the skin color is. Oh no! They didnt nominate someone from India, or an Asian person!

Understand that its not like they picked white people only, they picked the best songs and it happened to be those.

This is not about songs tho :awkney: Do you know what the Oscars are? :awkney: 

2 hours ago, Higher said:

We should have a segregated award show. One for whites and one for People of Color. 

oh **** this thread is getting out of control. :smh: 

FreePalestine

2 hours ago, Whispering said:

I agree, this is the reality of what's behind this accusation. There are simply more writers and roles for white males and young white women. The best writers are writing roles that are being filled with white actors. The best movies, with the best directors and producers, have mostly white leads. If the best roles in the best movies aren't going to POC, why should the Academy award POC in lesser roles, and ones that weren't as impressive? 

It all starts with getting writers to write movies for roles that can go to POC. Then, you have to find producers to get behind these movies and get the best directors, casting directors, etc. It can be done! Television shows are changing and Broadway has long been a step ahead, so the movie industry could do the same. 

Remember when everyone lost their **** over the rumors of Donald Glover playing Spiderman tho? :green:

It's not as easy as it sounds. There's a lot of cast stereotyping, and it's gonna take long before PoC as leads (and not as tokens and stereotypes) are accepted by both the public and the film business. I'm all for it, but the film business responds to demand and there's simply not a huge demand for black/brown heroes from the American public, so no big directors are picking up on them. 

FlopSlut
6 minutes ago, Mast said:

This is not about songs tho :awkney: Do you know what the Oscars are? :awkney: 

The category is for best original song from a film :awkney: not the film itself

Flopenstein

Archived