💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Is Pop music boring right now?

Creyk

Featured Posts

Other than Selena doing exceptionally well in spite of people always saying she can't sing, nothing interesting is happening lately. Adele is selling a lot but that is sort of the only interesting thing about her, her music videos are not that exciting. I hope Gaga/Rih/Katy whoever will shake up the Pop scene in 2016 because so far nothing is on the horizon. The only iconic pop culture moment of 2015 I can think of is Gaga's Oscars performance and that was a long time ago. I just feel like artists like Meghan Trainor, Justin Bieber, and even Adele, just don't make these iconic moments like Gaga does. You are excited when you know Gaga is going to perform somewhere because she always does something unique. But these newer acts don't really do that...? They just stand on a stage, backup dancers dance while they produce mediocre to good vocals and that's all there is to it, and their music videos are mostly lame. 
How do you see it?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Didymus

Quit looking at mainstream pop.

There have been absolutely smashing pop releases under the radar. Well, not really, since music critics are picking them up. I hope these artists will be given a larger platform because I do agree that in terms of excitement and performance skill, there's not much to look for among the big pop league nowadays.

Examples: Grimes, Allie X, Susanne Sundfør.

Adele isn't your traditional pop artist. She relies on ur talent and sticks by it. Unlike Gaga who uses her vocals, fashion, and art. But yes, pop music is VERY boring today.

Just now, Didymus said:

Quit looking at mainstream pop.

There have been absolutely smashing pop releases under the radar. Well, not really, since music critics are picking them up. I hope these artists will be given a larger platform because I do agree that in terms of excitement and performance skill, there's not much to look for.

Examples: Grimes, Allie X, Susanne Sundfør.

Oh I know the indie scene is doing really well. It's just a shame they don't get TV performances and their songs are not played on radio. Well, except for Halsey

Edonis

Selena Gomez can't sing live, Justin Bieber jumps around on stage, Adele is Adele, and so I agree that the performance aspect of pop music is kind of boring this year. (Not to mention that all the acts I named above didn't premeire their music until the second half of 2015. The first half had me dying from boredom)

Maybe Gaga will deliver us all in 2016. 

yes selena gomez doing well is actually pretty boring 

lord im pressed :air: but it is what it is  selena is ****ing boring to me 

Warholian

Intensely. And that's not just me being all non-conformy and "ooh, pop is so bland nowadays", but it's literally incredibly boring and non-diverse. This year has something like the least number 1 songs of any year in Billboard history. There's no new major artists on the scene that actually look like they'll stay for more than a year, no new exciting genres.. everything sounds the same. In the past it was normal to have reggae, bubblegum pop, new wave, synth, dance, and rap all in the top ten charts at the same time but now it just seems like there's two genres -- pop and rap. All the pop sounds the same and all the rap sounds even more similar. Could you name more than 10 popular songs from this year? I couldn't. But you look back at some year like 1999 or whatever and you'll recognize 20 easily even after 16 years. 

Thing is, these 'boring' times in music are usually followed by a big explosion of talent and diversity, a la late 1980s to early 1990s, late 1950s to early 1960s, or even mid 2000s to late 2000s. Music diversity comes in and goes out, and it's obvious that right now is an incredibly bland and uninspired time. 

Kevin Parker, Mac Demarco, Mark Ronson, and a stoned Lady Gaga. Need I say more?

monketsharona

I think Gaga, Rihanna, Katy and Beyoncé are missing.

Actually Pop music is boring since 2014 (at least)

Adele is saving it with her talent right now. 

DiscoHeaven23

I do miss 2011 when Gaga, Rih, Katy, Britney, Kesha and Adele were all having their eras at the same time. It was SUCH a good period. 

Iwontell

I think pop music is a LOT less bold than it was a couple of years ago and to some of us it's frustrating...there are multiple reasons for that (the main one being how it's all about numbers now, so artists tone themselves down in order to appeal to the largest possible audience), but, in the end of the day, pop music is cyclical, so in time we'll have something exciting again...

ATTENTION: (bad) jokes and sarcasm are still a thing, so don't take everything I say literally. Thank you.

Mobster
17 minutes ago, blue4everd said:

Adele isn't your traditional pop artist. She relies on ur talent and sticks by it. Unlike Gaga who uses her vocals, fashion, and art. But yes, pop music is VERY boring today.

That's the image she's trying to sell... but she is. Her team exploiting the idea of a pop star that is different, that doesn't fit in the mold, is just a marketing strategy. She's obviously immensely talented, but so are a lot of other pop artists out there, the fact that she doesn't do everything other pop stars do, doesn't automatically make her better or more enjoyable. I love Adele but she is still as mainstream as any other pop star out there, her music speaks for itself.

But I'm only a man and I do what I can.

Serendipity

a new batch of pop girls is brewing

just wait till they arrive in 2018 and sweep the world

See talent here-->http://bit.ly/2eqeUxK

Archived