Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Why can't Asian acts breakthrough?

Serendipity

Featured Posts

Riot Poof

tbh, I've been wondering why there wasn't a popular Asian act in the Western world. I thought it was partly because of racism and partly because of the smaller percentage of Asians in the US (idk about any other Western countries). It's definitely suspicious that not even one Asian act managed to break through the mainstream pop world and stay a force to be reckoned with (at least in the US). I don't even know a lot of Asian musicians in general who are popular with Westerners. I can only think of Jay Sean, M.I.A., and Zayn Malik. (Zayn still needs to build cred as a solo star, tho.)

As for K-Pop and J-Pop not being popular in the US, I think it's because Americans generally don't like to listen to songs in another language because they can't understand it. That's most likely why non-English songs rarely become notable hits in the US.

I'm not a woman. I'm not a man. I am something that you'll never understand.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Alien Tulip
4 minutes ago, comrade said:

amerie is half korean

so

asians can

But she's half black. America saw her as unique looking so thats why she sorta became famous along with Cassie, Bruno etc

By the way I wouldn't put Christina in the latina section. Christina is half ecuadorian yes but its been proven her ecuadorian father has german and scottish roots. She even gets her blonde and blue eye features from her ecuadorian side. Christina is basically a white woman that speaks spanish. If you ask a random person in the street that doesnt know Christina, to guess what race she is, everyone will say white. Latina does't really have a look since they can be white (shakira, ricky martin), mixed, asian or black. Noticed that only latinas with european sort of features or mixed make it big like Ricky Martin, J.Lo, Sofia Vergara etc. You hardly see that many Afro or Asian Latinas in the entertainment industry. 

Alien Tulip

But on topic, America has always discriminated east asians the most in the entertainment industry. It's not really just America but sort of Canada as well. 

1 hour ago, Clean said:

Believe me  many Asian acts who are very fluent in English have tried to get record deals in US

But they get turned down simply because of their race

eg,

her vocals made my day :flutter:

TEANUS

As long as they're not like PSY I would like to see and Asian act or two break through

British social ladies with upturned pinkies, glasses clinking // xoxoTEANUS

Riot Poof
6 minutes ago, comrade said:

amerie is half korean

so

asians can

I don't think Amerie is on the same level as the artists listed in the OP.

4 minutes ago, AlphaMonster said:

And also Jennifer Lopez cannot exactly be considered as a latin act. She is from NYC... Her origin can be latin, but she grew up in american culture. 

J-Lo was born and raised in NYC, but she's still ethnically Puerto Rican. I don't see how her being a New Yorker makes her any less Latina. I mean... none of the black artists mentioned in the OP are from Africa, but they're still black. I also find it a bit weird that you didn't also mention Pitbull and Xtina, two other Americans of Latinx descent. Why single out J-Lo?

AlphaMonster
1 minute ago, Riot Poof said:

J-Lo was born and raised in NYC, but she's still ethnically Puerto Rican. I don't see how her being a New Yorker makes her any less Latina. I mean... none of the black artists mentioned in the OP are from Africa, but they're still black. I also find it a bit weird that you didn't also mention Pitbull and Xtina, two other Americans of Latinx descent. Why single out J-Lo?

I didn't mention them. Whoever mentioned me said sth about JLo, and Shakira. African American culture is very different from african culture. But pop singers who actually do latin pop are mostly singer who actually grew up under latin influences. JLo is not one of them. She is latin, but she is not a latin music act. When you say latin music act, you don't say that artist is latin, you say that they make latin influenced music like Ricky Martin, Shakira...

imwoahvicky

It's my personal opinion, but I read up (idk where so don't expect sources) about how K-POP has cultural differences and their music is generally different and just won't have a breakthrough in America.

Also, if you watch a lot of K-POP performances you can see that most of them just don't have the vocal ability to sing, etc. and they will be dragged to all hell in America.

For example, my favorite Hyuna.

Even though her songs are catchy as **** and she's able to dance, she just wouldn't make it in America for a debut because she doesn't really sing live (which most K-POP artist don't do, it's mostly just playback and lip syncing) and she's quite pitchy.

I mean, you see critics drag the best vocalists over the smallest flaw. In K-POP there are a lot of flaws.

(sorry if this doesn't make sense, I don't feel like reading this over)

⚜ Roll Deep ⚜

Luna Lovegood

CL from 2ne1 is going for American market FYI.

tumblr_m2mbxvWktr1ru255vo1_500.gif

She just released a single! It's called 'Hello Bitches' and she has the same manager as Justin Bieber. I hope she will be the first Asian act to breakthrough and debut on American market!

luna’s advocate

Riot Poof
1 minute ago, AlphaMonster said:

I didn't mention them. Whoever mentioned me said sth about JLo, and Shakira. African American culture is very different from african culture. But pop singers who actually do latin pop are mostly singer who actually grew up under latin influences. JLo is not one of them. She is latin, but she is not a latin music act. When you say latin music act, you don't say that artist is latin, you say that they make latin influenced music like Ricky Martin, Shakira...

Ah, OK. BUT... I think the OP meant Latin music acts as "musicians of Latinx descent," not "musicians who make Latin music."

12 minutes ago, Alien Tulip said:

By the way I wouldn't put Christina in the latina section. Christina is half ecuadorian yes but its been proven her ecuadorian father has german and scottish roots. She even gets her blonde and blue eye features from her ecuadorian side. Christina is basically a white woman that speaks spanish. If you ask a random person in the street that doesnt know Christina, to guess what race she is, everyone will say white. Latina does't really have a look since they can be white (shakira, ricky martin), mixed, asian or black. Noticed that only latinas with european sort of features or mixed make it big like Ricky Martin, J.Lo, Sofia Vergara etc. You hardly see that many Afro or Asian Latinas in the entertainment industry. 

Why would Xtina not be Latinx (or at least not Latinx enough) due to having European ancestry and features when you also acknowledge that Latinxs can be of European descent?

I mean... I'd hope people would acknowledge my Latinidad even though I'm light-skinned and of European (Spanish + Italian) descent.

I definitely agree that white/white-passing Latinxs tend to be the Latinxs that make it big. This is a result of the racism and Eurocentrism present in both American and Latinx culture.

Well when u say adian music i imidiatly think of K-POP and J-POP and when i tried to get into that music i realised that it was not for me.....its just has to much going on .....like they have too many memvers in the bands.....there are bands with 10+ members.....abd their music is just too wierd....also there is languge barier....i hate when i dont understand what i am listening to

I've got an "F" and a "C" and I got a "K" too And the only thing that is missing is a bitch like "U"

Riot Poof

WAIT... I just realized that Enrique Iglesias is half-Filipino. His mom is Isabel Preysler.

preysler-isabel-photocall.jpg

dd393e7ea2b0045af4e3780347cc77c0.jpg

Do people know about this?!?! I doubt it, since I get the impression that people don't even know he's a Spaniard (NOT Latin American).

RAMROD

Well to be fair, if you includes Xtina and J.Lo who are American, then we can count Mike Shinoda from Linkin Park toi, who is a very successful Asian American artist, his albums with the band went top of the charts, and his solo project too became wellknown.

Or Bruno Mars, who is part Filipino.

Or that weird long haired scary guy from Black Eyed Peas, who is also Filipino. Or NE-YO who is part Chinese. All of these folks are very successful and top charting.

And, Utada two English album reaches #5 and #6 on Billboard Heatseekers, that is pretty hood tbh.

Also, there was Coco Lee, famous Hong Kong singer, did charting when she did her English album, Just No Other Way, the peak is at #49 on Billboard.

And she did both English and Mandarin version for Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon soundtrack.

I think it just about time before someone Asian from Asia can break it there. First there mst be exoansive Asian fever too, the way Latino fever was in the 90s started by Ricky Martin.

Besudes, many non white artists in USA are having large fanbase from their own community in the States. Say J.Lo, or Selena (the one that got killed, not Selena Gomez) lots of their fans are fellow lations and latinas.

But this is not happening with Asian artists just yet, because many ABCs here are either listening Mandarin (usually older folks) music or actual English speaking artists.

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ young, dumb, and full of numb (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

Serendipity
33 minutes ago, Riot Poof said:

30 minutes ago, AlphaMonster said:

My point is about racial representation

and I don't think those who pass as other races count

People don't think of Mariah as white, or Bruno and Nicki as Asian

An Asian ethnic bloom needs to happen

And just incase if anyone says, South Asia and East Asia are very different places

See talent here-->http://bit.ly/2eqeUxK

Archived