💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Would Iggy Azalea be taken more seriously if she was black?

StrawberryBlond

Featured Posts

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ezrajones
On 11/15/2015, 5:06:09, Lance said:

anyone who questions iggy's talent is racist. shes super talented. why does she have hits + success?

talent. duh. irrelevant viral videos don't do anything or mean anything.

!!!

Racism has been holding Iggy back but she'll break free.

Gaga

Imo, Iggy is not a good rapper. Apart from her talent, I've seen certain racist remarks push her even further from continual success. 

StrawberryBlond
Just now, Harry said:

Literally how many times do I have to say that bolded isn' the case? You literally addressed me saying it's fine to like Iggy in the same post. Absolutely moronic behaviour.

Sooooo you think that artists should stay in one lane and never budge?

You obviously haven't listened hard enough. Uneducated.

Iggy is the definition of a puppet. I've literally seen interviews of her with T.I. by her side where he outright says he "knows what sells" in reference to having a hot white blonde female rapping :rip: You're just naive and it's sad that you think you know more than you do when it comes to music, because you clearly have a lot to learn. Best of luck with that.

You're saying one thing but your posts up until now say something else. That's all I'm saying.

No, I don't mind artists changing. But it's the rest of the rap community who has a problem with it and it's that element I'm addressing. You hear about how bad selling out is in the rap community and singing is one of those things that's deemed as selling out. So, why isn't Nicki called a sellout for singing pop songs but Iggy gets called a sellout for never singing and never going down the generic dance pop RedOne route? My point is that she's realer than people give her credit for. Nicki has whitewashed rap music more than Iggy ever has.

I just couldn't recall that song. The Cookbook is part hip hop, part RnB though. It's not my favourite album of hers. She was clearly experimenting with singing here. I never said I had a problem with rappers singing, but I do have a problem with rap fans calling some rappers sellouts for doing it but not others.

A lot of the time, she's joking when she says this stuff. She's always smiley and happy in review and makes jokes. I may be no expert at music but I know a lot more than you think. The fact I can pull out random album-only tracks from obscure albums and remember single line lyrics from lots of songs that weren't even hits tells you all you need to know.

Just now, Harry said:

You're being serious here? You really think she would outright say something like that on a song if she was a racist? :lmao: That song is clearly from the perspective of her alter-ego Roman, inspired by Eminem's (who you've been praising) alter-ego Slim Shady who says all manner of disgusting things that you aren't bringing up. You will stoop to any level to try and make yourself seem clever. Either that or you are, as I've suggested, extremely uneducated and just post nonsense without checking up on your facts.

I'm not saying it was true, but she did say it regardless. I know it was from the point of view of her alter ego, but this was exactly the point I've been waiting for you to make. Of course you defend her for saying something horrible because she's saying it in the voice of a character. But this is the problem - you can't make excuses like that. This gives license to people to say offensive things and mask it with excuses. Plenty of people use the defence of "it's just banter" in many situations where they say something offensive. It's a get-out-jail-free card, the new "no offence" tacked to the end of an offensive sentance. But it doesn't magically make it all better. Yes, Eminem has said some really disgusting stuff under the guise of Slim Shady but the difference is that he was called out for it, and rightfully so. Nicki says disgusting stuff under the guise of Roman and no one says a word. No white rapper would be allowed to say "I'm a racist, I'm a bigot" without suffering a severe backlash that could be career ending, regardless of the context in which it was said. Once again, black rappers get away with being offensive in a way that white rappers simply can't. Modern rap consists of white rappers apologising for this, that and the next thing while black rappers get a free pass.

You are the one who is stooping to the lowest levels to make yourself seem clever. I am educated, both intellectually and musically. And I've always checked my facts. I do it before I type anything to make sure that I don't make a fool of myself when someone tells me the truth and I was too lazy to research it. That's why my posts take so long to type because I have to research everything.

Just now, Harry said:

Hang on, I just realised you said this in the same post that you tried to drag Nicki for trying her hand at a few pop songs.

"You can find love for any kind of music later on in life and change your sound."

"If she abandons rap completely real soon and goes back to pure pop, then I'll call her fake but she's stayed with rap for now, so I don't see what the issue is."

You said it best hunty LOL

The great StrawberryBlond dictating what each and every woman should do instead of having the freedom to make their own choices... I'm shocked!

Like I said before, I don't have a problem with Nicki doing pop but she shouldn't be labelling it as something it's not. She was still hanging onto the rap by making her album 50% hip hop just so she wouldn't lose her old fans with RR. But when the dance craze faded out and urban came back, she returned with an almost completely hip hop release with TP because that's what's hot now. I find that extremely fake. And yet she's considered so real in the rap community. She lost credibility after all that pop on RR, but it's amazing how quickly people forgive, right? So, next to that, I don't get how Iggy's fake.

Oh, don't start with the s-xist accusations again. You possess, at best, a basic knowledge of what feminism is. You, like many others, don't understand it any deeper than "Yay! Go women!" You don't have a clue about the intricacies of it and the views of women within it. As a woman, I think I know a whole lot more about feminism than you do and I don't need my views defined by a man of all people. Do you realise how ironic it is for a man to be defining how a woman should practicise feminism? You don't define us, we define us.

Just now, Yanko said:

IBHVMzb.gif

looks like im not needed on this site anymore 

Such a shame that you were defending me 2 or so months ago on that Adele thread and now you're insulting me. Nice. You think you know a person. Unlike a lot of others, when I've defended someone, I don't  downtalk them later, or maybe that's just my code.

25 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

You're saying one thing but your posts up until now say something else. That's all I'm saying.

No, I don't mind artists changing. But it's the rest of the rap community who has a problem with it and it's that element I'm addressing. You hear about how bad selling out is in the rap community and singing is one of those things that's deemed as selling out. So, why isn't Nicki called a sellout for singing pop songs but Iggy gets called a sellout for never singing and never going down the generic dance pop RedOne route? My point is that she's realer than people give her credit for. Nicki has whitewashed rap music more than Iggy ever has.

I just couldn't recall that song. The Cookbook is part hip hop, part RnB though. It's not my favourite album of hers. She was clearly experimenting with singing here. I never said I had a problem with rappers singing, but I do have a problem with rap fans calling some rappers sellouts for doing it but not others.

A lot of the time, she's joking when she says this stuff. She's always smiley and happy in review and makes jokes. I may be no expert at music but I know a lot more than you think. The fact I can pull out random album-only tracks from obscure albums and remember single line lyrics from lots of songs that weren't even hits tells you all you need to know.

I'm not saying it was true, but she did say it regardless. I know it was from the point of view of her alter ego, but this was exactly the point I've been waiting for you to make. Of course you defend her for saying something horrible because she's saying it in the voice of a character. But this is the problem - you can't make excuses like that. This gives license to people to say offensive things and mask it with excuses. Plenty of people use the defence of "it's just banter" in many situations where they say something offensive. It's a get-out-jail-free card, the new "no offence" tacked to the end of an offensive sentance. But it doesn't magically make it all better. Yes, Eminem has said some really disgusting stuff under the guise of Slim Shady but the difference is that he was called out for it, and rightfully so. Nicki says disgusting stuff under the guise of Roman and no one says a word. No white rapper would be allowed to say "I'm a racist, I'm a bigot" without suffering a severe backlash that could be career ending, regardless of the context in which it was said. Once again, black rappers get away with being offensive in a way that white rappers simply can't. Modern rap consists of white rappers apologising for this, that and the next thing while black rappers get a free pass.

You are the one who is stooping to the lowest levels to make yourself seem clever. I am educated, both intellectually and musically. And I've always checked my facts. I do it before I type anything to make sure that I don't make a fool of myself when someone tells me the truth and I was too lazy to research it. That's why my posts take so long to type because I have to research everything.

Like I said before, I don't have a problem with Nicki doing pop but she shouldn't be labelling it as something it's not. She was still hanging onto the rap by making her album 50% hip hop just so she wouldn't lose her old fans with RR. But when the dance craze faded out and urban came back, she returned with an almost completely hip hop release with TP because that's what's hot now. I find that extremely fake. And yet she's considered so real in the rap community. She lost credibility after all that pop on RR, but it's amazing how quickly people forgive, right? So, next to that, I don't get how Iggy's fake.

Oh, don't start with the s-xist accusations again. You possess, at best, a basic knowledge of what feminism is. You, like many others, don't understand it any deeper than "Yay! Go women!" You don't have a clue about the intricacies of it and the views of women within it. As a woman, I think I know a whole lot more about feminism than you do and I don't need my views defined by a man of all people. Do you realise how ironic it is for a man to be defining how a woman should practicise feminism? You don't define us, we define us.

No, they don't. You just have comprehension issues.

Where were you in 2012? Nicki WAS ripped on by the rap community for those records. She even cancelled an appearance at a Hot 97 event because Peter Rosenberg publicly dragged Starships for being pop. There is very little real about Iggy and I've already given you plenty of examples to cover that but they go against your view so they're deemed irrelevant. Real smooth.

"I never said I had a problem with rappers singing" - "How am I uneducated about rap because I think rappers should rap, as their profession entails?" "...she only raps whereas Nicki has sung before and still does. Now, that really is the ultimate sell out for a rapper. ".... How are you so comfortable with openly contradicting yourself?

Have you ever considered that it's because white people are not victims? It's more controversial for Eminem to say things like that because he's a straight white male - aka amongst the most privileged group in the world. Nicki Minaj is a black woman, amongst the least privileged. Eminem saying he will punch Lana Del Rey in the face causes much more of a stir because he's a big guy and men are more responsible for domestic abuse cases than women are. Nicki Minaj would suffer more from racism than any white person could understand, and her ethnicity doesn't allow her the same kind of arrogance/ignorance that people like you (and Iggy) have. Yes we need equality but it's really not hard to see why these kind of statements are less shocking coming from one group than from another. But then again considering the kind of person you are I'm not sure why I'm trying to explain it.

You obviously haven't checked all your facts because you've been wrong about so many things. Saying Missy never sung, that Drake had a ghostwriter, that Iggy isn't simply a cash-in...

And how would you know that? Once again, you're making baseless assumptions about me. You don't know what my view of "feminism" is so don't try to downplay me because you've made yourself look like an ass by doing that in the past. So I wouldn't. I'm not telling you how to practise anything, I just think you're an absolute hypocrite.

You know I really used to think you were intelligent/a good person.

StrawberryBlond
Just now, Harry said:

Where were you in 2012? Nicki WAS ripped on by the rap community for those records. She even cancelled an appearance at a Hot 97 event because Peter Rosenberg publicly dragged Starships for being pop. There is very little real about Iggy and I've already given you plenty of examples to cover that but they go against your view so they're deemed irrelevant. Real smooth.

"I never said I had a problem with rappers singing" - "How am I uneducated about rap because I think rappers should rap, as their profession entails?" "...she only raps whereas Nicki has sung before and still does. Now, that really is the ultimate sell out for a rapper. ".... How are you so comfortable with openly contradicting yourself?

Have you ever considered that it's because white people are not victims? It's more controversial for Eminem to say things like that because he's a straight white male - aka amongst the most privileged group in the world. Nicki Minaj is a black woman, amongst the least privileged. Eminem saying he will punch Lana Del Rey in the face causes much more of a stir because he's a big guy and men are more responsible for domestic abuse cases than women are. Nicki Minaj would suffer more from racism than any white person could understand, and her ethnicity doesn't allow her the same kind of arrogance/ignorance that people like you (and Iggy) have. Yes we need equality but it's really not hard to see why these kind of statements are less shocking coming from one group than from another. But then again considering the kind of person you are I'm not sure why I'm trying to explain it.

You obviously haven't checked all your facts because you've been wrong about so many things. Saying Missy never sung, that Drake had a ghostwriter, that Iggy isn't simply a cash-in...

And how would you know that? Once again, you're making baseless assumptions about me. You don't know what my view of "feminism" is so don't try to downplay me because you've made yourself look like an ass by doing that in the past. So I wouldn't. I'm not telling you how to practise anything, I just think you're an absolute hypocrite.

Or maybe you need to express yourself better.

My point is that her album still got good reviews regardless (I seriously consider the idea that they were paid for) and the rap community sure forgave her when TP was released. Even if a black rapper slips up, they can be forgiven, it seems. But white rappers tend to make one misstep and they're done. And I think Iggy's real because my idea of real clearly differs from yours. Someone who's confident without being arrogant is real to me. Someone who's open and honest about their plastic surgery and how the industry works is real to me. Someone who wants to cooperate with other rappers instead of fighting is real to me.

Granted, maybe I shouldn't have phrased those things how I did. But I was mostly speaking from the view of the rap community - the general consensus is that singing is selling out. I'm just questiong why Iggy, who's never sung, is considered such a sell out when Nicki's done far worse.

Being oppressed doesn't give you a license to say horrible things about other oppressed groups or say horrible things in general. That only makes things worse. I don't condone racism from anyone, to anyone, for whatever reason. I don't consider these statements any less shocking coming from people of colour at all. It's all ignorance and I can't deal with that. We'll never end racism if we give some people a right to use it and get away with it.

I haven't exactly been wrong. I just couldn't recall the Missy song (a lot of songs in the world that I remember, one might slip my mind occasionally), of course Drake would deny having a ghostwriter (as anyone would) and Iggy being bad is just an opinion.

Based on the way you have judged me for apparently "s-xist" things in the past like downtalking a woman (as if I'm supposed to support every woman, good or bad) tells me you don't have a clue. And you have told me how to practice feminism before, you're prepared to tell me that I'm doing it wrong every chance you get. Women support the things I say, and they're the only judges of this movement I need.

You used to think I was intelligent and a good person? Pray tell, when was this? Ever since you started talking to me for the first time, you've been nothing but hateful when I've never done anything to you.

7 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Or maybe you need to express yourself better.

My point is that her album still got good reviews regardless (I seriously consider the idea that they were paid for) and the rap community sure forgave her when TP was released. Even if a black rapper slips up, they can be forgiven, it seems. But white rappers tend to make one misstep and they're done. And I think Iggy's real because my idea of real clearly differs from yours. Someone who's confident without being arrogant is real to me. Someone who's open and honest about their plastic surgery and how the industry works is real to me. Someone who wants to cooperate with other rappers instead of fighting is real to me.

Granted, maybe I shouldn't have phrased those things how I did. But I was mostly speaking from the view of the rap community - the general consensus is that singing is selling out. I'm just questiong why Iggy, who's never sung, is considered such a sell out when Nicki's done far worse.

Being oppressed doesn't give you a license to say horrible things about other oppressed groups or say horrible things in general. That only makes things worse. I don't condone racism from anyone, to anyone, for whatever reason. I don't consider these statements any less shocking coming from people of colour at all. It's all ignorance and I can't deal with that. We'll never end racism if we give some people a right to use it and get away with it.

I haven't exactly been wrong. I just couldn't recall the Missy song (a lot of songs in the world that I remember, one might slip my mind occasionally), of course Drake would deny having a ghostwriter (as anyone would) and Iggy being bad is just an opinion.

Based on the way you have judged me for apparently "s-xist" things in the past like downtalking a woman (as if I'm supposed to support every woman, good or bad) tells me you don't have a clue. And you have told me how to practice feminism before, you're prepared to tell me that I'm doing it wrong every chance you get. Women support the things I say, and they're the only judges of this movement I need.

You used to think I was intelligent and a good person? Pray tell, when was this? Ever since you started talking to me for the first time, you've been nothing but hateful when I've never done anything to you.

Mess you're not listening to anything I'm saying so I'm going to stop giving you the satisfaction. Some people just exist in their wilful ignorance, I suppose.

2 hours ago, Harry said:

I would have liked this post if not for the diss on intelligence and quality of character at the end. :noparty:

I don't understand why you keep adding personal insults to your posts. Even I disagree with a lot of what Strawberry is saying, but that doesn't make her unintelligent. While I agree there are contradictory statements in her posts, I think overall she has put a lot of time into researching the things she talks about and she always has reasons for her beliefs. I find myself agreeing with you more, Harry, but that doesn't mean Strawberry's posts lack intelligence or indicate she's a bad person. And when it comes to her views on feminism, I find myself disagreeing just as much as I find myself agreeing with what she says :P. 
Regardless of how much I agree or disagree, at the end of the day Strawberry is an intelligent woman who has positive intention when she expresses her opinions.

Personally, and more on topic, I'm bummed that Iggy doesn't have the integrity behind her because I love the sound of a woman with an accent rapping. I think Iggy's greatest downfall when it comes to her race is that she's never really shown sensitivity or understanding to the issue. It doesn't seem like she joined rap out of true love or experience with the genre, which has a lot of history and prides itself on being "real." 

Like...if Katy were to put out a Jazz album we'd probably all roll our eyes and make shady comments questioning where she got that idea from. Or if a person were to say they were "Gaga's BIGGEST fan!" but only knew the singles we wouldn't take them seriously. And that's how a lot of people see Iggy. It doesn't mean she's completely untalented or knows literally nothing about what she's doing, but her involvement is suspicious and her knowledge doesn't seem genuinely earned. 

10 minutes ago, Kayla said:

I would have liked this post if not for the diss on intelligence and quality of character at the end. :noparty:

I don't understand why you keep adding personal insults to your posts. Even I disagree with a lot of what Strawberry is saying, but that doesn't make her unintelligent. While I agree there are contradictory statements in her posts, I think overall she has put a lot of time into researching the things she talks about and she always has reasons for her beliefs. I find myself agreeing with you more, Harry, but that doesn't mean Strawberry's posts lack intelligence or indicate she's a bad person. And when it comes to her views on feminism, I find myself disagreeing just as much as I find myself agreeing with what she says :P. 
Regardless of how much I agree or disagree, at the end of the day Strawberry is an intelligent woman who has positive intention when she expresses her opinions.

Personally, and more on topic, I'm bummed that Iggy doesn't have the integrity behind her because I love the sound of a woman with an accent rapping. I think Iggy's greatest downfall when it comes to her race is that she's never really shown sensitivity or understanding to the issue. It doesn't seem like she joined rap out of true love or experience with the genre, which has a lot of history and prides itself on being "real." 

Like...if Katy were to put out a Jazz album we'd probably all roll our eyes and make shady comments questioning where she got that idea from. Or if a person were to say they were "Gaga's BIGGEST fan!" but only knew the singles we wouldn't take them seriously. And that's how a lot of people see Iggy. It doesn't mean she's completely untalented or knows literally nothing about what she's doing, but her involvement is suspicious and her knowledge doesn't seem genuinely earned. 

Maybe I should leave personal comments out of the conversation but I think it's important to note that she has made jibes at me before which is probably now approach her with such hostility. My feelings still stand though.

But I agree with everything you said about Iggy.

ARTPOPdidntflop

Iggy is not a good rapper / nothing special for the amount of success that she's had

/thread

Gaga x Nicki x Azealia x Ariana x Kesha x Bey

Paper Gangsta
17 hours ago, SlayedForTheGod said:

the ONLY reason iggy got big was because she was WHITE.

Where is Brooke Candy's #1 hit then? Or Lil Debbie's ? Or Kreayshawn's ? Or Sirah's?

11 hours ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Such a shame that you were defending me 2 or so months ago on that Adele thread and now you're insulting me. Nice. You think you know a person. Unlike a lot of others, when I've defended someone, I don't  downtalk them later, or maybe that's just my code.

not insulting you but ok 

SlayedForTheGod
7 hours ago, Paper Gangsta said:

Where is Brooke Candy's #1 hit then? Or Lil Debbie's ? Or Kreayshawn's ? Or Sirah's?

kreayshawn has had a hit. she didnt use that success to her advantage. lil debbie will never be big cause shes seen as a kreayshawn clone. and the other two are relatively new. i know nothing about sirah so who knows with her but i believe brooke can get a hit. the thing about iggy was that she had her looks (she was white and had a modelesque body) and t.i. 

Archived