new video

Ariana Grande - "Focus"

Spock

Featured Posts

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Paper Gangsta

I know that the guy screaming focus on me is the chorus.

But why do you think that me saying that there are worse things in music currently than some weird/slightly off chorus in a otherwise fantastic song has to be backed up with other current choruses that are even worse? I mean that's very specific. There are songs that I thoroughly found awful and unenjoyable (and that includes the choruses of them as well).

well you commented people commenting on the chorus. I like the song overall but chorus is really horrendeous and is ruining the song

Haroon

The video's beautiful, I couldn't keep my eyes off the screen :flutter: 

I liked the song but then that male voice came in :emma: It sounds so out of place and it really ruins the chorus for me :noparty: It sounds a bit like when someone does a parody and puts loud and comedic vocals on top for some laughs :rip: 

Sizzily

nnnnn Product placement in the first second :lmao: 

What the f**k is this chorus? And again with the trumpets? 

What a cheap song, I guess she'll be stuck doing this stupid "Guy saying sh*t for a chorus followed by horns" BS forever. :bye2: Can't wait for Adele to block her album/singles tbh. 

You Ariana stans are gonna have a time trying to defend this catastrophe. Good luck lol

One Banned Boi

Born To Slay

nnnnn Product placement in the first second :lmao: 

What the f**k is this chorus? And again with the trumpets? 

What a cheap song, I guess she'll be stuck doing this stupid "Guy saying sh*t for a chorus followed by horns" BS forever. :bye2: Can't wait for Adele to block her album/singles tbh. 

You Ariana stans are gonna have a time trying to defend this catastrophe. Good luck lol

Why do we need to defend it? If we like it, we don't need to defend our music taste to condesending snobs.

and Ariana's album will be out in 2016, so Moonlight is still likely to top the chart. None of her singles last era topped the chart but all sold well, slated streaming and radio and became hits. So basically this era will be just like the last one. Lots of hits, a decent selling #1 album and most likely a cool tour. 

LastNight

It's very catchy but I hate that they did a faux-chorus thing a la Problem ...just give us a proper chorus and not this, at least the Problem was tolerable. It's a shame because the rest of the song is a bop.

djBuffoon

First if all, the song is "Problem" and Christina's "Your Body". It's no surprise that the song was overseen by Max Martin because everyone note of the melody feels redundant. 

Also, guy's voice in the chorus... In theory, not a bad idea. But because the rest of the tracks is trying to come off as smooth and deductive, it doesn't for at all. It's jarring. 

StrawberryBlond

It's ok, halfway between above average and very good. I think the guy's voice works in a weird way, though I can't quite say why (maybe the tone gives it that retro vibe which I like?). I can totally get why other people hate it, though, because it is so out of place. But yes, it slaps you in the face as an blatant re-make of Problem. And Problem was brilliant, one of the best pop songs I've ever heard. And that is precisely why it should never have had a re-make attempted. You can't remake perfection. Don't know if her label thought the public wouldn't notice it or what but they're showing that we sure aren't as dumb as they think.

As for the video, well, she's gorgeous, no doubt. But it's still a bit weird how she's s-xualised so heavily when she still looks like a teenager. Yet, she's 22, she's allowed to do this, but it still looks a bit...icky. I mean, I know what that's like - I'm 25 and a lot of people think I'm way younger and of course I like to dress and act like the adult woman I am (though I don't wear miniskirts with knee high boots!) But...I don't think I look this young. This must be really confusing for grown men to watch, wondering if the things they feel for her is right or wrong.

JusKeepBreathin

It's cute. It will probably be picked up by radio because it's a safe crowd pleaser.  There is nothing spectacular about it. I bet the record company will bump up the date of the second single. I think this song could have worked better on a re-release of "My Everything." It seems to fit in very well with that album. I think if she wants success she needs to go in a completely different direction with Moonlight, hopefully the other singles off the new album do that. 

I would've rather she released a bad ass ballad with her voice sounding more powerful. She could have really done something wonderful with a ballad, something penned by Diane Warren would have worked for Ariana. 

She just did a duet with Andrea Bocelli which was beautiful. 

I guess this was a missed opportunity for her or her record label pushing her to do the same pop music we've heard a million times before. Hopefully she get a chance to redeem herself with other singles. I do think it will be a moderate hit maybe top 20.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.

PaperIz

The man's voice on the chorus is just awful. Ruins the song for me. I was so excited too. The horns don't bother me as much ad I thought they would. Now if the song had a beautiful anthem chorus instead of that mess, it would make me much happier.

FrankGutz

Love me Harder & One last Time remains as her best songs, and i think focus is a grower, it was horrible for me yesterday, rn i think is ok

Dᴄ • Dᴀʀᴋ Hᴏʀsᴇ | Hᴏʀʀᴏʀ • Tʜʀɪʟʟᴇʀ | Eʟᴇᴄᴛʀᴏɴɪᴄ | Fɪᴛɴᴇss | Mᴀɴᴅʏ Mᴏᴏʀᴇ • Lᴀᴅʏ Gᴀɢᴀ • Sᴏᴘʜɪᴇ Bᴇxᴛᴏʀ

Warholian

I literally have no desire to listen to this a second time. That bridge sounded great but damn, what a missed opportunity. And this time around, I really don't think the GP will like this. They may've welcomed **** like Cheerleader in but this is just.. not something you want to hear.

Kevin Parker, Mac Demarco, Mark Ronson, and a stoned Lady Gaga. Need I say more?

Archived