Harlequin - OUT SEPTEMBER 27th
opinion

Freak Show wasn't *that* bad

Spock

Featured Posts

Okay, so I just finished re-watching the season on Blu-ray and I don't know if it's because I saw it in like four days instead of three months, but it was nowhere near as bad as I remembered it.

Sure, there are a few things that were disappointing and could have been handled better, like Twisty being reduced to a useless four episode arc or the massacre at the very end (that was just plain lazy and a frustrating way out tbh) or Dandy being just there, but the show didn't turn into a train wreck. The only thing that felt like a mess when I saw it the first time and still was a mess now was Neil Patrick Harris' arc. That was truly awful. His character served no purpose and the puppet was annoying as sh*t. If Dandy had bought the Freak Show right from the beginning instead of him, it would been exactly the same, only less messy and cluttered. That was truly transparent stunt casting. One other thing that bothered me were the connections to Asylum and the sudden "it's all connected!!!!!1" crap Ryan pulled out of his ass, but that's another matter.

But overall it had a strong beginning, a strong ending, really great production design, interesting themes and fantastic performances. Coming from Coven, once again, Kathy Bates and Angela Basset stole it:legend:

Instead of being horrible, it was just okay. I kinda saw the light. I just hope this doesn't happen to Hotel and that the direction is clearer than it was towards the back half of FS.

So I guess the point of this thread is, coming from a former FS hater, haters repent and give it another chance :lolly:

who will love me when the night is over

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
luckythisway

no matter how many chances you give it, FS will always be the lesser of the AHS series. :proud:

CHROMATICA

Gagaloo911

Agreed. I don't understand the hate for Freak Show. It's not my favorite but it was still good in its own way and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Besides, FS was a lot Jessica Lange's idea, I read interviews from Ryan murphy and he said the whole theme and idea behind the show was because SHE wanted to do it. Yet everyone hated FS even as who they so desperately want back basically made the previous season lol

I think it could use a little without Lange, the last 2 seasons have practically been all about her character! Was getting kinda stale tbh. I'm happy they're giving the other great actors on the show more time in the "spotlight" as it were now. So much great talent on the show, they deserve their chance, and Lange can always return in future seasons if she doesn't make an appearance this season!

Michelle

I've tried a couple of times and it's still blah. I've watched all seasons from day one but FS was a fail to me. Call me hater I don't care because I don't hate it. I have no feelings for it except yawn worthy. 

Lets go take a howl at that moon🌙 -Crowley

Freakshow had beautiful cinematography etc, and I can sure appreciate that aspect of it. But the writing was horrible, and at the end of the day it's the storylines/writing that make a TV show for what it is, and it was crap. 

Tove Lo

It's a good season, but it didn't get good till that clown died. Hopefully Hotel is the same and will get better later because so far it's really ****ing boring.

hop on that **** like a maniac

FGGrayson

for me whas a really good season, i never understood all the hate :saladga: 

𝗟𝗮𝗱𝘆 𝗚𝗮𝗴𝗮 • 𝗠𝗮𝗻𝗱𝘆 𝗠𝗼𝗼𝗿𝗲 • 𝗦𝗼𝗽𝗵𝗶𝗲-𝗘𝗹𝗹𝗶𝘀 𝗕𝗲𝘅𝘁𝗼𝗿 • 𝗣𝗮𝗿𝗶𝘀 𝗝𝗮𝗰𝗸𝘀𝗼𝗻

djBuffoon

Freak Show and Coven are on the same level, I think. Fantastic locations, some amazing characters, some amazing performances, a bunch of potentially interesting storylines... and one by one, the characters lose their individuality, the stakes decrease, and the season drunkenly lurches towards the end.

That said, none of the AHS seasons are bad. I'm sure we've all seen "bad" television, and Freak Show doesn't qualify that.

I've tried a couple of times and it's still blah. I've watched all seasons from day one but FS was a fail to me. Call me hater I don't care because I don't hate it. I have no feelings for it except yawn worthy. 

I can certainly see how coming from Coven which was a no ****s to give camp fest, Freak Show seems bland. That was one of the problems I had with it, but I guess it depends on how you can power through boredom lmao

who will love me when the night is over

iloveit123

Every season has a few holes and some technical mess.... perhaps Freakshow is the worst in some people's opinion (I think Coven suffers pretty bad from it) but aside from that, I love Freakshow. Highlight for me is when 'Gods & Monsters' is performed! And I love Dandy and his mom! Love so much about it, TBH.

Michelle

I can certainly see how coming from Coven which was a no ****s to give camp fest, Freak Show seems bland. That was one of the problems I had with it, but I guess it depends on how you can power through boredom lmao

some of it was so good but I guess I had high expectations which was the problem. I was so excited. It could be because I was in hospital at the time but honestly it was just a bit boring. Coven was funny and I don't know lol asylum is my fav. 

Lets go take a howl at that moon🌙 -Crowley

ARTPOPdidntflop

The only issue with Coven is the ending. The issue with Freak show is everything except the first two episodes

Gaga x Nicki x Azealia x Ariana x Kesha x Bey

Katsuki Bakugo

The uncut version is much better 

The only issue with Coven is the ending. The issue with Freak show is everything except the first two episodes

I loved the ending... 

The issue with both of them is they shouldn't be tied with AHS they should be their own shows... and Pepper should not be in freak show to remove the connection. 

If All You Ever Do Is Look Down On People, You Won't Be Able To Recognize Your Own Weaknesses.

Archived