💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

question

Has Adele surpassed Madonna?

Adelephant

Featured Posts

Fiona Apple

I'm too tired to explain why I wrote that. I say bye to you and your delusion a**

Lol :sharon: I will tell you why you wrote that..Because you don't even read what it's about when you answer.. :awkney: It's just pathetic to never admit that you did a mistake.. Btw I am not delusional at all. I am a huge fan of Madonna ..And as I said she obviously have had a 10 times bigger,more impactful etc. career than Adele that only has 2 albums.. But Adele's 21 is more successful than any Madonna album and that's not gonna change lol

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ThisGuyTony

Adele has been bigger than Madonna since 2011. No argument there.

Overall, Madonna is, and will probably always be, the biggest pop star ever.

Adele has been bigger than Madonna since 2011. No argument there.

Overall, Madonna is, and will probably always be, the biggest pop star ever.

no she hasnt. Ppl dont seem to have a clue how massive Madonna and MJ where. MAybe one Adele album sold more, so did many others. One or two albums don't mean a thing. Shania twai was mentioned, so yeah... Lets see after 300+++ mil. But this comparison is just silly and pointless. They are very different artists.

StrawberryBlond

Not even close. People from the current generation can not even begin to imagine how big Madonna was in her heyday. This was back in the day when the only way you could listen to music was to legally purchase it, so of course, she could pull out the kind of overall sales new artists could only dream of. And her controversies were even more controversial and headline grabbing back then as it was a more conservative time. In 1992, large scores of parents worldwide were terrified that Madonna was going to lead their children to ruin because of her crazy antics. Erotica may have been one of her lowest selling releases, but there was no bigger artist than Madonna in 1992. Ask anyone who was there. 

And by the way, being everyone's cup of tea is not a good thing. It usually means that you're a very boring artist. You'd have to be, to appeal to millions upon millions. It shouldn't be that easy to please so many people. Adele is so popular because she doesn't push herself artistically, she doesn't experiment, she doesn't do anything that could be considered a risk. Artists who follow this plan are nearly always successful because of it but it doesn't half make for a boring music scene.

Well I judge based on her sales and chart positions. Madonna couldn't sell more than what 21 sold even back then that selling 5m was a joke

It's easy to tell how young you are when you say things like that. You can't judge based on such superficial criteria. In this generation of digital sales, streaming and Vevo views, it makes artists appear much bigger than the ones of the past but it's not true. If Vevo had existed in Madonna's day, can you imagine the views she'd have? And selling 5m was not a joke when the album was highly controversial in a conservative time. The tour sold great too and went to stadiums.

Fiona Apple

It's easy to tell how young you are when you say things like that. You can't judge based on such superficial criteria. In this generation of digital sales, streaming and Vevo views, it makes artists appear much bigger than the ones of the past but it's not true. If Vevo had existed in Madonna's day, can you imagine the views she'd have? And selling 5m was not a joke when the album was highly controversial in a conservative time. The tour sold great too and went to stadiums.

First of all I did not talk about youtube... I talked about sales. And yeah like it or not back then it was SO MUCH easier to sell albums..I wasn't alive ,yeah, but there are TOO many albums in the 80s that sold over 10m...Madonna's controversy made her more popular ,it didn't have any side effects til the Erotica era.

TiphEret

They are very different in so many ways i don't see how they can be compared

Sur le sable sur la neige, Sur les images dorées,Sur le front de mes amis, J’écris ton nom

Kacey Elizabeth

Not even close. People from the current generation can not even begin to imagine how big Madonna was in her heyday. This was back in the day when the only way you could listen to music was to legally purchase it, so of course, she could pull out the kind of overall sales new artists could only dream of. And her controversies were even more controversial and headline grabbing back then as it was a more conservative time. In 1992, large scores of parents worldwide were terrified that Madonna was going to lead their children to ruin because of her crazy antics. Erotica may have been one of her lowest selling releases, but there was no bigger artist than Madonna in 1992. Ask anyone who was there. 

And by the way, being everyone's cup of tea is not a good thing. It usually means that you're a very boring artist. You'd have to be, to appeal to millions upon millions. It shouldn't be that easy to please so many people. Adele is so popular because she doesn't push herself artistically, she doesn't experiment, she doesn't do anything that could be considered a risk. Artists who follow this plan are nearly always successful because of it but it doesn't half make for a boring music scene.

YASSSSS! TELL THEM! :giveup:

Your Candy Perfume Girl

Dramatica

They are very different in so many ways i don't see how they can be compared

They are both singers after all, it's not like you're comparing Ur**** to a pear :creepflop:

I didn't ask for a free ride, I only asked you to show me a real good time.

TiphEret

They are both singers after all, it's not like you're comparing Ur**** to a pear :creepflop:

I know but it's not like they attempt to do the same kind of music. In general I don't think comparing artist is very good, and even less when apart from singing they don't seem to have much in common. Following that logic I could compare Korn and Taylor Swift

Sur le sable sur la neige, Sur les images dorées,Sur le front de mes amis, J’écris ton nom

So what? You really want to compare the album sales in 80s and 2010s? Selling 27 million in 2011 is like selling 40m+ back then :awkney:

It's getting ridiculous.. That's exactly what I said..Madonna OBVIOUSLY had a 10 times more successful OVERALL career.But she never had an era as big as 21..And it looks like 25 will be just as big

If you're talking only about album sales, then sure... But Madonna had bigger/more memorable hits, controversial headline creating moments, iconic videos, enormous tours and made statements. We haven't got that from Adele and probably won't because she isn't that kind of artist. An era isn't measured just by the album sales, it's an encompassing term. But that's definitely a more interesting debate to have rather than the ridiculous question in this thread lol.

Riot Poof

Y'all wish she did. :madge:

I'm not a woman. I'm not a man. I am something that you'll never understand.

4 years ago Gaga was the next Madonna,then 2 years ago Katy Perry was the next Madonna. Last year Taylor Swift was the next Madonna, this year Adele is the next Madonna, Next year Rihanna will be the next Madonna. 21 was extremely successful, 25 will likely also be successful but i dont think it will sell 30m. Madonna has like 7 over15m albums spanning from 1984 to 2000 and a 12m seller in 2005

Archived