💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Has Adele surpassed Madonna?

Adelephant

Featured Posts

Iwontell

They deliver such different things that the comparison is a bit absurd, tbh...

Right now, Adele is, in terms of popularity and acceptance, the biggest thing in the world. So, yes, in that sense she is far beyond everyone else (even Taylor, who seemed to be a titan not 6 months ago)...that's a great thing, but that's also the kind of thing that can go away at any moment (sometimes one album underperforming is enough for a table turn).

At the same time, her music and persona are not as boundary pushing as Madonna's (not even close, actually), so in terms of cultural impact I don't think she has achieved what Madonna has...and that impact is everlasting. Besides, longevity is important as well...Madonna has been commercially successful for over 30 years. Adele has been around for less than 10...god knows what the next 10 years will bring.

ATTENTION: (bad) jokes and sarcasm are still a thing, so don't take everything I say literally. Thank you.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anderson123

I think we should not compare them. They're two different artists and Madonna has achieved so much in pop music, that she has influenced many many others that we know. Adele is new, she's only on her third album and we have yet to see what else she does. Madonna is releasing fun music now because she has a long and successful career now, she's having fun and touring. 

Time has changed and the music industry is very different today, people are more connected and have easy access to music now, which is something Madonna didn't have back then. We have to really admire Madonna's career, even though she's not the greatest vocalist, she knew how to be successful and still does. They're both great artists and well-known in the whole world, but Madonna obviously is still the biggest one because she has decades making music and people from different ages recognize her, she's the most successful female today. I say we just enjoy this moment in time and see what Adele does, now that she's the artist that we're growing up with.

Fiona Apple

No. What a joke. Stop being delusional. Madonna's peak is the biggest among females. Madonna was revolutionary back then. Adele doesn't bring anything new to the table. She just do her own thing and sells millions. But she doesn't change the game. 

That's a different thing :awkney: Obviously Madonna's impact was A LOT BIGGER. But Adele is bigger commercially and her music is crazily successful

Adelephant

She is bigger now than what Madonna has ever been.But overall Madonna obviously has a more successful career

I agree. While Madonna got a lot of media exposure for her controversy and shenanigans, Adele has definitely surpassed her as a musician and an artist. 

Jonathan2244

No. What a joke. Stop being delusional. Madonna's peak is the biggest among females. Madonna was revolutionary back then. Adele doesn't bring anything new to the table. She just do her own thing and sells millions. But she doesn't change the game. 

Madonna has had the highest peak among every female Artist, Maybe followed By Britney and then Gaga, But Adele, she is selling well but she will never peak as her as these lot 

I really think this a troll thread... Obviously not 

She is bigger now than what Madonna has ever been.But overall Madonna obviously has a more successful career

Your profile said you were born in 1998. How would you (or I) be able to say how big Madonna was? We weren't alive during her peak lol...

Fiona Apple

I really think this a troll thread... Obviously not 

Your profile said you were born in 1998. How would you (or I) be able to say how big Madonna was? We weren't alive during her peak lol...

Well I judge based on her sales and chart positions. Madonna couldn't sell more than what 21 sold even back then that selling 5m was a joke

I agree. While Madonna got a lot of media exposure for her controversy and shenanigans, Adele has definitely surpassed her as a musician and an artist. 

What??? lol are you joking?

As a songwriter Madonna is better than Adele. Also, every Madonna's album has different sound. Her discography is one of the most versatile ever. While Adele doesn't change her sound and Hello proves that. 

Well I judge based on her sales and chart positions. Madonna couldn't sell more than what 21 sold even back then that selling 5m was a joke

girl... The Immaculate Collection has sold over 30 million copes ww. 

That's a different thing :awkney: Obviously Madonna's impact was A LOT BIGGER. But Adele is bigger commercially and her music is crazily successful

Madonna had a consistently successful commercial career spanning three decades and sold upwards of 250 million records... That's not 'crazily successful'? :deadbanana: She's literally the most successful female artist in the history of everything. This comparison is not even fair to Adele. Just because she's had an enormous few years that doesn't mean she can trump a 30+ years of success.

Well that's subjective really. I'd say Adele is the better 'musician' in terms of her vocals, but Madonna has experimented more artistically. She has explored a far wider range of genres to much acclaim, not to mention more interesting visuals on stage/in videos.

If you judge based on sales and chart positions then you must agree that Adele has not surpassed Madonna.

Mister Gaga

No way, at least not for now! Madonna's peak and impact, not only the music industry, but also in the society, was enormous.

Keep in mind that Madonna has been around for 33 years, and she's still making headlines. We'll see if Adele can achieve that. 

Madonna had a consistently successful commercial career spanning three decades and sold upwards of 250 million records... That's not 'crazily successful'? :deadbanana: She's literally the most successful female artist in the history of everything. This comparison is not even fair to Adele. Just because she's had an enormous few years that doesn't mean she can trump a 30+ years of success.

Well that's subjective really. I'd say Adele is the better 'musician' in terms of her vocals, but Madonna has experimented more artistically. She has explored a far wider range of genres to much acclaim, not to mention more interesting visuals on stage/in videos.

If you judge based on sales and chart positions then you must agree that Adele has not surpassed Madonna.

This This This

I can't with these Adele bandwagoners :pumpga: 

This This This

I can't with these Adele bandwagoners :pumpga: 

I actually like Adele's new song and have nothing against her, but this is a clear example of bandwagonning tbh. If this was 1995 they would be saying Alanis Morissette surpassed Madonna too.

This is either a troll thread or an example of serious lack of knowledge. Madonna's current image/reputation doesn't do her decades on top justice. She's done so much for pop, particularly female artists.

Archived