💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

Raven-Symone won't hire people with certain names

Jesse Pinkman

Featured Posts

PartySick

She's...I...uh...well she's obviously being disrespectful but she has a bit of a point? I mean, what is it with parents (even white parents these days) naming their kids some of these weird names? It'd be different if it was rooted in some culture but there are names out there like "Airwrecka" (pronounced like Erika). Lest we forget Sharkeisha.

Although there is another side to it. There were black girls that I was best friends with in elementary school whose names were D'Vashia (Da-vas-ia) and Sha'Laka (Sha-lake-a). D'Vashia's in her 3rd year at community college and supporting her sick mom and Sha'Laka is going to some high class university out of state and I think she even has a job lined up. She was also the only one in the state that scored higher on the science FCAT than me :giveup: 

I know those names aren't anywhere close to "Sharkeisha", but they are semi-exotic in the U.S. and it'd be a shame if someone's eligibility for work was written off just 'cause of a name that sounded a little different.

R u 🌈? 🤨📷

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
artRaver

So because someone's not black they may not find racist comments disrespectful? Obviously it was disrespectful, but my point is that it was a comment that shouldn't be taken seriously, or at least as serious as everyone here is apparently taking it (calling her moronic, a moron, a jerk, ignorant, brainless, saying she's broke their heart, etc). And what other comments has she made that have been controversial about race other than her saying she doesn't consider herself African American? Even then, that comment wasn't out of self-hatred, but just her saying she wouldn't consider herself African as she does American, a concept I'd personally would agree with.

http://www.bustle.com/articles/70479-raven-symone-defends-her-controversial-race-comments-on-the-view-but-her-argument-doesnt-make-much-sense ?¿?¿?

✿ cherry blossom girl ✿

Ok that's racist. This is the same thing as saying "I wouldn't hire a man named Jose." "I wouldn't hire a woman named Maria." "I wouldn't hire a man named Thinh." Why? Because you perceive their names to be indicative of their race and that race makes you uncomfortable? What other reason? 

(Unless you have a huge issue with the name Maria or Jose or Thinh alone, I don't know your life)  

Tropico

I'm tired of her at this point. She has said so much stupid s--t over the past 2 years. It all started with "I don't consider myself African American". I defended her there (or I tried to). But now I realise she is dealing with internalized racism and it makes her look so ignorant and disrespectful. 

♢ Social Justice Enthusiast ♢

Kulture Kiari

She's...I...uh...well she's obviously being disrespectful but she has a bit of a point? I mean, what is it with parents (even white parents these days) naming their kids some of these weird names? It'd be different if it was rooted in some culture but there are names out there like "Airwrecka" (pronounced like Erika). Lest we forget Sharkeisha.

Although there is another side to it. There were black girls that I was best friends with in elementary school whose names were D'Vashia (Da-vas-ia) and Sha'Laka (Sha-lake-a). D'Vashia's in her 3rd year at community college and supporting her sick mom and Sha'Laka is going to some high class university out of state and I think she even has a job lined up. She was also the only one in the state that scored higher on the science FCAT than me :giveup: 

I know those names aren't anywhere close to "Sharkeisha", but they are semi-exotic in the U.S. and it'd be a shame if someone's eligibility for work was written off just 'cause of a name that sounded a little different.

How does she have a point? Whatever a parent names their child is non of our businss. Nor should we judge that person based on its name. My name is very common, yet spelled differently. I would eff up someone if they judged my parents because of how they spelled my name :awkney:

PartySick

How does she have a point? Whatever a parent names their child is non of our businss. Nor should we judge that person based on its name. My name is very common, yet spelled differently. I would eff up someone if they judged my parents because of how they spelled my name :awkney:

She has a point in that you shouldn't be throwing the silverware against the wall and add "isha" to the sound it makes to name your kid :awkney:

I agree with you, honestly, but she's not wrong in implying that people aren't hired or they have a harder time when their names are crazy like that. It's just a shame that she's on the discriminatory side.

R u 🌈? 🤨📷

MANiCURE1295

You guys are all ridiculous. You're telling me if you were a business owner you would be hiring someone named Bonquiqui. I doubt it. You're all hypocrites.

RAMROD

You guys are all ridiculous. You're telling me if you were a business owner you would be hiring someone named Bonquiqui. I doubt it. You're all hypocrites.

Say that to people that hires Hawaiians. :gaycat:

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

Lady Palutena

I really don't know what to say... 

Other than she's being very problematic and racist, discrimination based on African names? Really?

zvaRSEA.png

I'd hire anyone as long as they were assiduous, amicable, and punctual.

og5lJD7.png

Adoremus in caelum, Palutena. Dea luminis.

MANiCURE1295

I just think people are taking this the wrong way! The names from the video they showed aren't "africanized". They're based off modern day stereotypes. No one is going to have the name watermelondrea. And if they did, and  were indeed an intelligent person they would get it changed because it would be stupid not to.

PaperIz

That's silly to not hire someone because of their name. I don't care if you're name is like Ceiling Tile or something, if you're a good worker it shouldn't matter. And let's not be too harsh on her, like someone mentioned we all mess up and say the wrong things sometimes. It happens.

AyaKara

The person that uploaded the vid is ignorant. The names Raven listed are not 'Africanized' names. African names are Kimani, Adebowale, and Imamu. The names that she described come from a US stereotype that has nothing to do with Africa. The video should be titled 'stereotypical names'. I'm changing the OP title to reflect this :yes:

As for Raven herself, I think she should interview the person no matter what their name is. I've met people with unique names whom are the most intelligent and charismatic people I've ever known. Your name bears nothing on your skills and personality.

Archived