Joker 2 Out October 4th Banner
news

GaGa used as example to discuss casual kimono wear

Rose

Featured Posts

The kimono: For nice nights out, naughty nights in

http://www.thestar.com/content/dam/thestar/life/fashion_style/2015/09/19/the-kimono-for-nice-nights-out-naughty-nights-in/lady-gaga.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg

Celeb factor

There is also a theatrical thread to the trend, which can be pulled back to Lady Gaga, who has taught us all to blur the lines around what is costume.

She wore a kimono to yoga class last summer in Toronto, a full-length baby-blue silk number with hot pink lining to match her shoes. Then this past May, she famously donned an oversized, sculptural black glittery Balenciaga kimono for this year’s Met Gala, openly mixing her Asian metaphors for this year’s Chinese theme.

http://www.thestar.com/life/fashion_style/2015/09/19/the-kimono-for-nice-nights-out-naughty-nights-in.html

Alcina Dimitrescu

im surpised and pleased that this isnt an stupid cultural appropiation post.

And yeah kimonos are awesome :fan: didnt see that blue one tho.

Sizzily

So thats where the News and Events section's picture came from. How long ago was this?

I'm glad this isn't about cultural appropriation.

One Banned Boi

Bad Bromance

Gaga's Met Gala look is everything.  I've always loved that hanfu, tbh.   :legend:

I don't care what you think about unless it is about me.

RAMROD

Yessddd. Loving this look.

But those are not kimono :lmao:

anyone writing that article need to do extra research next time.

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ 𝚍𝚊𝚗𝚌𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚒𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚜𝚑𝚊𝚍𝚘𝚠 𝚘𝚏 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚗𝚒-𝚒-𝚒-𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝...! (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

It sort of bothers me that we are now calling all silk robes "kimonos." Of course traditional and formal articles of clothing are rebranded and made easier to wear all the time, and I own two fringe silk robes that were advertised as kimonos online, but there is such a huge difference between Coachella fringe robes and actual kimonos I don't know why we are bothering to call them that, especially with so many people being so ridiculously sensitive to people wearing things from other cultures. 

I do love all of Gaga's robe looks, from the encore BTWB giant king sized bedsheet one to the most recent one she wore at NYFW.  So effortlessly glamorous :flutter:

I've taken a few dips in the lady pond

Archived