Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
thought

Katy and Taylor Feud neutralized my hate on Katy

Hope

Featured Posts

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never hated Katy. However, when the PRISM v ARTPOP "competition" happened, I was upset that Katy was so much more successful while Gaga floundered in comparison and had a messy era, especially since I felt Gaga deserved it more than Katy with regards to quality of music. But I never disliked her. I was pressed at her success, not her music or her person. I like her music. She seems like an average person who likes making hit tunes. There's nothing wrong with that. Not every artist needs to be Lana or Marina (and I adore those two). Writing a good mindless pop song is not as easy as it seems. If not, why are there thousands of mindless manufactured pop songs out there, often with major label support and sung by major artists, that flop? Because despite every self-professed "serious" musician's claim that they could write a hit "if they wanted to," it's a craft that's only superficially simple. Katy excels at it, and she has good collaborators in Dr. Luke and Bonnie McKee. She does have a part in writing her songs, I believe, and this is evidenced by her often atrocious rhymes, so if you want to criticize her for using co-writers, you'll have to come for almost every other pop musician out there.

Now that I've qualified all the Taylor Swift music I've heard and people won't think I have some deep-seated irrational hatred of everything she does, let me get to the *gasp* negative part. Unlike Katy, I don't like Taylor as a person. She seems inauthentic and self-serving. I also don't think her music is of higher artistic quality than Katy's. Her lyrics are squarely aimed at the teenage girl demographic. I'm not familiar with her pre-1989 output, but I have read all her lyrics, and none of them stuck out as being profound, particularly beautiful, or creative. I was talking with a friend about her and she said Taylor Swift reminds her of a Disney star... and that's a great descriptor. Her music and her lyrics walk on the safe side. Musically, she's not innovative at all and follows the same path as most other pop and country musicians, but I don't expect most artists to do anything new with their music. She does the same thing Katy does - produce fun, easily digestible pop songs. That's not a bad thing.

So really, I see them as the same thing. It's disingenuous to act like one produces better material than the other. They're both the McDonald's of music. But you know what, I love McDonald's. Taylor annoys me as a person, so her popularity obviously grates on me, but eventually she'll quiet down. Just like Katy hit a wall, so shall Taylor (and no, I don't buy that "Taylor has faced the controversies before and come out ~even stronger~" line when musicians like the Beatles and Michael Jackson, who were incomprehensibly popular, ran into periods of public disapproval). I like music from both of them, and ultimately the music outlasts the musician, so this unpleasantness is nothing more than a temporary nuisance. If you need me, I'll be listening to Dark Horse and Style.

gagaisitalian

Yeah, it's perfectly okay to start liking someone just because they bully someone you don't like.

tumblr_nte3ceTs8D1ql5yr7o1_500.gif

gagaisitalian

Just quickly posting to remind users to steer clear of flamebait. Stay mature and constructive with criticism otherwise WP will be issued and the thread may be locked :ohno: 

Or you can close a thread that's clearly spreading hatred for an artist. 

FrankGutz

I used to hate katy, Now I hate her AND taylor

tumblr_n74ns1LTif1tzpe0ho1_500.gif

Dᴄ • Dᴀʀᴋ Hᴏʀsᴇ | Hᴏʀʀᴏʀ • Tʜʀɪʟʟᴇʀ | Eʟᴇᴄᴛʀᴏɴɪᴄ | Fɪᴛɴᴇss | Mᴀɴᴅʏ Mᴏᴏʀᴇ • Lᴀᴅʏ Gᴀɢᴀ • Sᴏᴘʜɪᴇ Bᴇxᴛᴏʀ

LoveandMagic

I don't hate either. Never did. This feud, if there is truly one, is fairly typical in Pop World.

Just repeat to yourself, "It's just a show. I should really just relax."

wiltedbliss

It's sad and pathetic how people get to the point of HATING someone they don't even know. I just find it amusing. And stupid 

Archived