Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Jesse Williams speaks up about white privilege

lego

Featured Posts

retroglamx

I don't understand what's happened to her? I saw a thread earlier but it got deleted before I could read it. :crossed:

Pink flamingos always fascinated me.

SlayedForTheGod

lol off topic but i hate when people just link the article and dont include any of it in the thread lol. no shade

retroglamx

lol off topic but i hate when people just link the article and dont include any of it in the thread lol. no shade

I know right? Give an excerpt, make me wanna click on the link. :green:

Pink flamingos always fascinated me.

LePetitGAGABLover

I don't understand what's happened to her? I saw a thread earlier but it got deleted before I could read it. :crossed:

lego

Just click on the link, if you're interested.

He has 24 + tweets about it. All of them important.

FreePalestine

Miel

What happened to her is incredibly awful. I hope it gets bigger and bigger- everybody needs to see this is a big, big issue.

3 points in and ready for more

Alien Tulip

What happened to her is incredibly awful. I hope it gets bigger and bigger- everybody needs to see this is a big, big issue.

I agree

off topic: Your avatar is one of my favorites on this site. Mooses are one of my favorite animals. They are so lovely. You're also a lovely member on this site :hug: 

PartySick

I didn't know "white privilege" and "racism" were interchangeable terms...The police treat white people better than black people. Ok, that's racism, not white privileged. That's a negative towards black people, not a positive towards white people. Splitting hairs, but it annoyed me.

He's 100% right, though.

R u 🌈? 🤨📷

ItsTommyBitch

I didn't know "white privilege" and "racism" were interchangeable terms...The police treat white people better than black people. Ok, that's racism, not white privileged. That's a negative towards black people, not a positive towards white people. Splitting hairs, but it annoyed me.

He's 100% right, though.

The "white privilege" comes from not having to experience systemic racism though, thats the point. 

White privilege is dependent on the fact that white supremacy is in effect in places like this... which is essentially normalized racism :rip: 

私自身もこの世の中も誰もかれもが, どんなに華やかな人生でも, どんなに悲惨な人生でも, いつかは変貌し, 破壊され、消滅してしまう. すべてがもともとこの世に存在しない一瞬の幻想なのだから

PartySick

The "white privilege" comes from not having to experience systemic racism though, thats the point. 

White privilege is dependent on the fact that white supremacy is in effect in places like this... which is essentially normalized racism :rip: 

Yeah, but I don't feel like not having to experience a negative is "privilege", it should just be normal. That normalcy should be expanded to people who aren't white too...if that makes sense...

Like, we shouldn't be saying it's a positive that only white people have, it should be the standard that all people should be held to, ya know? I just don't like how "white privilege" sometimes makes white people the villain, gives people an excuse to tell whites that they don't know what it's like, and I feel like it continues to foster that idea that we're separate. 

So, yeah. Not getting beaten up or killed by the police isn't "white privilege" to me, it's just human rights that (a lot of the times) aren't extended to people of other races.

To be honest, I've never liked that people use "___ privilege" at all. For example, being able to get married while gays couldn't didn't come off as "straight privilege" to me, it was homophobia.

Being able to vote before women's suffrage wasn't "male privilege", it was s-xism.

Not being brutalized by the police when people of different races are isn't "white privilege", it's racism.

Like I said, it's splitting hairs, but it bugs me nonetheless. :shrug: 

R u 🌈? 🤨📷

Miel

I agree

off topic: Your avatar is one of my favorites on this site. Mooses are one of my favorite animals. They are so lovely. You're also a lovely member on this site :hug: 

Thank you! It's always nice to see you, and some of the older GGD members, around, as I don't come on as much as I used to.

3 points in and ready for more

ItsTommyBitch

Yeah, but I don't feel like not having to experience a negative is "privilege", it should just be normal. That normalcy should be expanded to people who aren't white too...if that makes sense...

Like, we shouldn't be saying it's a positive that only white people have, it should be the standard that all people should be held to, ya know? I just don't like how "white privilege" sometimes makes white people the villain, gives people an excuse to tell whites that they don't know what it's like, and I feel like it continues to foster that idea that we're separate. 

So, yeah. Not getting beaten up or killed by the police isn't "white privilege" to me, it's just human rights that (a lot of the times) aren't extended to people of other races.

Hidden Content

First id like to point out that "privilege" and "white privilege" are sociological concepts, not just colloquial terms used on the internet to describe things that white people have :emma: People are afforded privileges based on a number of categories that essentially should be arbitrary when it comes to respect and human decency, but aren't... (such as race, gender, s-xual orientation, class, body size, neurotypical/aneurotypical, etc.)

White privilege is the "norm", thats the point :shrug: White supremacy in this context is the normalization of all things white and the othering of all things not, regardless of whether its of a conscious belief that white is "better", it still permeates throughout culture in subtle ways. 

It isn't about making white people feel like "villains", and privilege is not merely a white on black thing, its intersectional. It's not about offending people, but about accounting for the invisible systems in place that disadvantage certain groups over others... and further "checking your privilege" is about making a conscious effort to do something about it. In the big picture, hurt feelings or confusion and miseducation about a topic are not more important than unequal treatment that deprives people of their basic rights and dignity to be blunt :messga: 

Watch this video tbh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRiWgx4sHGg

It's not about making us "separate", its about making sure that people are treated equally inspite of their differences.

Also, its really just a fact of life that people who don't experience certain experiences do NOT fully understand them. Walking a mile in another person's shoes in an imperfect science. You can understand similar things through your own eyes, but like to actually understand, well you can't :shrug: 

私自身もこの世の中も誰もかれもが, どんなに華やかな人生でも, どんなに悲惨な人生でも, いつかは変貌し, 破壊され、消滅してしまう. すべてがもともとこの世に存在しない一瞬の幻想なのだから

Archived