Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Iggy Azalea Blames Britney Spears for 'Pretty Girls' Not Being a Hit

Stef

Featured Posts

Fiona Apple

There are 4 reasons that this song flopped. 1)Both Britney and Azalea are irrelevant atm. 2)The song is kinda catchy but it's too dumb 3)The radio didn't play it 4)it didn't have lots of promo

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
blacklistedd

I've got the feeling that if it was, say, Ariana feat. Nicki, it would be met with far better reception.

Personally I think its bad regardless, but I also think Bang Bang was a bad song. However that did exceptionally well. And I agree that had it been Ariana and Nicki rather, it would've been met with much better reception solely because of the artists involved. Hell, if it were Britney featuring Nicki instead of Iggy I think it wouldve been met with better reception even if it didnt dominate the charts. And thats partially because people are so incredibly defensive of Nicki that any song shes involved in can't be allowed to be criticized extensively without someone pulling gender or race cards.

Actually Iggy had quite a following before Fancy, it was once she hit it big that she started losing fans for all the reasons we already know.

Iggy is not a Flo Rida or a Pitbull. Not in the slightest. Iggy was trying to be a Nicki, in which people are invested in both their music and their persona. But that all came crashing down with the immense amount of negative press that shes received. Because of popular opinion regarding appropriation issues, Iggy has lost popularity not just with the minorities you mentioned but with her key demographic as well. Why do you think she had to cancel her tour? Why do you think shes struggled to achieve another hit even remotely on the same level as Fancy? The momentum she'd gathered was blown to pieces by bad press. She was the last person a struggling Britney should have featured on a comeback single.

Even Nicki is more like Flo Rida than she would like - a queen of pop features rather than an albums artist with hop hop heads buying her for lyrics.

Iggy was a surprise star in 2014, she had people snapping at about race for years. And Fancy was followed up decently by Black Widow.  Always said her singles success would never translate into album or tour sales.

There is s-xist and racist bias in rap, it helps to be both male and black is you want to be taken seriously and become a solid album seller.

Alien Tulip

No she's lazy. I'm a Britney fan and I know that she is lazy. Her promo schedule has been terrible since the start of Circus. 

I've been a britney fan since 1999 and I watch her closely sometimes. She and Larry (her manager) have said she doesn't care about the charts, she could retire now and live off her money if she wanted to because she has enough to live off her money for 100 years. Britney just gets bored easily so she decided to do the vegas residency. She only released pretty girls just to give her fans something. Britney isn't as brain controlled as some of you make her out to be. If she's this mind controlled puppet you all claim her to be then so are rihanna, katy, and hell even gaga. It's true britney isnt that enthused with her career as she was during her prime but its because shes been through hell and shes a mother of two now but she still likes to perform even if its not the best. She's also in control of her twitter and facebook account now as well. 

blacklistedd

Even Nicki is more like Flo Rida than she would like - a queen of pop features rather than an albums artist with hop hop heads buying her for lyrics.

Iggy was a surprise star in 2004, she always had people snapping at her because of race. And Fancy was followed up decently by Black Widow.  Alsways said her singles success would never translate into album or tour sales.

There is s-xist and racist bias in rap, it helps to be both male and black is you want to be taken seriously and become a solid album seller.

Ill agree with that. But with Fancy to many people she was a new artist. Black Widow was a decent follow up single on radio, mostly relying on Fancys success and the fact that the bad press hadn't entirely settled in yet. But after that she had no chance of amounting to anything and at this point to include her in what should be a comeback single is a bad move. Period. And her baggage contributed to the songs bad reception and performance. Thats all just on top of Britney who already has been struggling anyway. It was a bad combo.

Jay.P

1. Britney was late to the Iggy train

2. The song is awful

3. Iggy's second tweet :toofunny:

Do you hear that? It's poison.

blacklistedd

I've been a britney fan since 1999 and I watch her closely sometimes. She and Larry (her manager) have said she doesn't care about the charts, she could retire now and live off her money if she wanted to because she has enough to live off her money for 100 years. Britney just gets bored easily so she decided to do the vegas residency. She only released pretty girls just to give her fans something. Britney isn't as brain controlled as some of you make her out to be. If she's this mind controlled puppet you all claim her to be then so are rihanna, katy, and hell even gaga. It's true britney isnt that enthused with her career as she was during her prime but its because shes been through hell and shes a mother of two now but she still likes to perform even if its not the best. She's also in control of her twitter and facebook account now as well. 

Heres the thing, Britney doesn't have to release music. She doesn't. But she does it anyway to have a career. What else is she going to do with herself? She is afterall a creative person. BUT the music that she makes is pop machine music made to be fodder for Top 40 consumers and THAT is in fact what her fans want. So at the end of the day, even if she doesn't care about it, what shes making is still music that is meant to do well on the charts and get spins on radio and appeal to top 40 consumers because thats all Britney the pop brand is. It doesn't matter if shes mind controlled or not.

Computer

Imagine our frustration if Gaga done that :omg: 

TQ3Si9c.jpg

💚💛💕❣⭕💢💢 | ⓜⓔⓡⓡⓨ ©ⓗⓡⓘⓢⓣⓜⓐⓢ

freebit

The second response was unnecessary. Not that I don't like when people are actually honest, but she's definitely shooting herself in the foot PR-wise. 

Anyway, this song was doomed from the start. Iggy could have featured on Thriller 2.0 and people still would have had reservations about listening to it. But as it was, it was tuneless trash, I don't think anyone was surprised at its performance.

super ultra

and a year ago she was on the top of the charts wow...

at least even Iggy knows about the mess 

Alien Tulip

Heres the thing, Britney doesn't have to release music. She doesn't. But she does it anyway to have a career. What else is she going to do with herself? She is afterall a creative person. BUT the music that she makes is pop machine music made to be fodder for Top 40 consumers and THAT is in fact what her fans want. So at the end of the day, even if she doesn't care about it, what shes making is still music that is meant to do well on the charts and get spins on radio and appeal to top 40 consumers because thats all Britney the pop brand is. It doesn't matter if shes mind controlled or not.

Exactly my point. She's much happier now than shes ever been from 2007 - 2013. Tbh I wouldn't mind her taking a break but its obvious she doesnt want to. 

blacklistedd

Exactly my point. She's much happier now than shes ever been from 2007 - 2013. Tbh I wouldn't mind her taking a break but its obvious she doesnt want to. 

I could get with the whole "she makes music for her fans now" spiel if the album was good. Not saying she needs to get behind production credits and write every lyric. But something that she feels personally connected to as she did with In the Zone. What was Britney Jean? It was a half-baked attempt at a pop fodder record that wasnt really great for general consumers any more than it was for fans. Like, just make a good pop record. Look at Blackout, technically its performance on the charts wasnt spectacular but it was a dope ass pop record and its regarded as such. And it wasn't personal and it wanst substantial but it was good pop sleaze. Thats what Britney can do. If she could make another good album now it will do well on the charts by default. So this whole "its not for the charts" excuse doesn't really work for me. Idk, im rambling now. Too many branches of thoughts going every which way I dont even know where im going with this lol

StrawberryBlond

Personally I think its bad regardless, but I also think Bang Bang was a bad song. However that did exceptionally well. And I agree that had it been Ariana and Nicki rather, it would've been met with much better reception solely because of the artists involved. Hell, if it were Britney featuring Nicki instead of Iggy I think it wouldve been met with better reception even if it didnt dominate the charts. And thats partially because people are so incredibly defensive of Nicki that any song shes involved in can't be allowed to be criticized extensively without someone pulling gender or race cards.

I liked Bang Bang too, thought it was one of the best pop releases of the year. But then my views have always been rather outside the box and I tend to go against what the majority think. It was so nice to hear a pop song with real sass and energy behind it as so many songs have settled into MOR territory recently. Iggy's had a real hard go of it recently, wholly undeserved in my opinion. And totally agreed about Nicki too - even though she's started to grow on me and has gone back to her hip hop roots, she still has a long way to go. Yet she's treated as the second coming and I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks she gets support from the hip hop community because she's black above all else. Can you imagine how much Anaconda would've been derided if it was Iggy's song? But when it's Nicki, people don't like to call her music out for being awful, even when it clearly is. It got nominated for a Grammy, ffs. Meanwhile, poor Iggy has the toughest critics even when she's great.

Iggy was a surprise star in 2004, she always had people snapping at her because of race. And Fancy was followed up decently by Black Widow.  Always said her singles success would never translate into album or tour sales.

She may not be an album seller like some of her contemporaries but she still sells amazingly for a female rapper. In America, she sells really well, but your statement is true on a global scale. The Pinkprint hasn't even gained a silver certification in the UK yet and her last album, despite having 2 top tens, couldn't even sell 300k here. If America ever falls out of love with her, she'll have nowhere to turn.

It does seem that to be a female in today's music scene, you can either have successful singles or albums, but never both. Gaga, Adele and Taylor are the only ones I can think of in the last few years who have managed to do both.

I'm glad to see someone else speaking the truth about the hip hop space being heavily biased towards black males and pointing out that minorities don't have it hard in every area in life. It saddens me to see female rappers not getting far, being promoted or respected purely because of their gender and now even their race. And they say country is the most close-minded genre?

Alien Tulip

I could get with the whole "she makes music for her fans now" spiel if the album was good. Not saying she needs to get behind production credits and write every lyric. But something that she feels personally connected to as she did with In the Zone. What was Britney Jean? It was a half-baked attempt at a pop fodder record that wasnt really great for general consumers any more than it was for fans. Like, just make a good pop record. Look at Blackout, technically its performance on the charts wasnt spectacular but it was a dope ass pop record and its regarded as such. And it wasn't personal and it wanst substantial but it was good pop sleaze. Thats what Britney can do. If she could make another good album now it will do well on the charts by default. So this whole "its not for the charts" excuse doesn't really work for me. Idk, im rambling now. Too many branches of thoughts going every which way I dont even know where im going with this lol

No yeah I agree with you, Britney Jean was terrible and its the first album I dislike even though I love work b---h, alien and perfume. The problem with britney jean is that its all fillers minus those songs and there are rumors that they arent even her vocals and its some girl "Myah" singing on most of those songs :rip: I would love another album like In The Zone. I dont care what anybody says "Toxic" is timeless because if that song were released today or maybe in 2010 it would still be successful and played everywhere.

blacklistedd

No yeah I agree with you, Britney Jean was terrible and its the first album I dislike even though I love work b---h, alien and perfume. The problem with britney jean is that its all fillers minus those songs and there are rumors that they arent even her vocals and its some girl "Myah" singing on most of those songs :rip: I would love another album like In The Zone. I dont care what anybody says "Toxic" is timeless because if that song were released today or maybe in 2010 it would still be successful and played everywhere.

Honestly aside from Perfume and Passenger (as guilty pleasures) I loathe everything else. Same here man, its literally the first Britney Spears album that I could honestly and whole-heartedly say is bad. Like I get some people think shes too shallow or whatever but with every other record she made shallow well. She has always been sort of the quintessential pop stereotype and always lived up to her pop sleaze title. But Britney Jean was just pure nonsense. There was just nothing there. Its one of the most hollow pop albums ive ever heard.

Archived