musician

Katy Perry

DMTT

What is Katy's best album?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. What is Katy's best album?

Featured Posts

Psychedelic

i already said that she is a mediocre singer and this is not a particular talent but a common one about one of the boys You are right and i like cause it feels more personal and less generic but talking about her last two albums this is it

Ā 

A medicre singer that can get a standing ovation at the grammy's where only real musicians and real music experts can have seats :lollipop:

Ā 

Ā 

Gaga's songs don't have professional songwriters and songwriting teams. That's what the majority of Katy's songs have...that's the difference.

If you look at the writing credits on even One of the Boys, there are accomplished songwriters listed on the majority of those songs...people who write songs for other artists for a living. They are lyricists, not simply producers or sound engineers of some sort. Katy has had several songwriters that have been inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame on her albums. (Including One of the Boys)

Ā 

Well it's no lie Gaga is much better song-writer (and singer, and dancer and performer in general). But deluding oneself into believing that Katy has absolutely no talent or skills is a whole different story that happens quite often here, that was my only point.

• Replies 15.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Whispering

I'll grant you only the first two and K Clarkson.

Fun is indie rock crossover. Get Lucky is a respected DJ collab with a black R&B artist. Happy - from an urban contemporary Grammy winning album. Single Ladies was sent to urban radio first and Beyonce is R&B not pure pop.

There is a sense is which any song that becomes super-popular is pop, and it of course has more votes from its home genre than a pure pop song. (Kinda same issue as Macklemore who appealed to pop fans winning rap category, except there are no pop purists to defend Katy and Gaga like the rap purists.)

What's your big excuse for Hey Soul Sister?

Oh, add in This Love and My Humps.

You said no pure pop or dance pop and I listed several out for you. It's not like most of these songs were ballads with deep, earth shattering lyrics. Most are just catchy songs that made a big impact on Pop for that particular year.

And who cares if the DJ or producer is black? Also, Happy is as pop/ dance and mainstream as you can get!

And who cares if the DJ or producer is black? Also, Happy is as pop/ dance and mainstream as you can get!

Ā 

With Pharrell, it means he has a voting block in the urban music world that Katy doesn't. People who respect his R&B productions from 10 years ago. Daft Punk album also influenced by 70's funk, not pure pop or dance pop.

Ā 

Soul Sister = Train = radio friendly pop rock. Very different from Britney, Gaga, or Katy sound.

christinahoney

Commercial isn't the problem, otherwise an entire 'Pop' field wouldn't exist.

Ā 

I don't buy the s-xism allegation either. Best Pop Vocal Performance has existed for four years after they merged the Female and Male categories, and Pharrell was the first male winner of that award this year. Out of the last ten Best Pop Vocal Album awards that have been handed out, six have been received by a woman (Kelly Clarkson x2, Amy Winehouse, Duffy, Gaga, Adele). Three by a man (John Mayer, Bruno Mars and Sam Smith), and one by a mixed gender group (The Black Eyed Peas). It's easy to see that in recent years females have actually had a better track record at the Grammys in the Pop field.

Ā 

Gender is not Katy's hinderance here.

Ā 

Ah. Okay. I stand corrected, haha. Sorry.

Whispering

With Pharrell, it means he has a voting block in the urban music world that Katy doesn't. People who respect his R&B productions from 10 years ago. Daft Punk album also influenced by 70's funk, not pure pop or dance pop.

Ā 

Soul Sister = Train = radio friendly pop rock. Very different from Britney, Gaga, or Katy sound.

Katy should have had that voting block on Dark Horse. Instead the Grammy went to a song that never made it to Urban or Rhythmic stations, much less was one of the highest selling songs of the year.

I'm well aware of who Train is and that their primary radio format has always been Pop and HAC- same as Katy.

You can throw out a million excuses, and even try to bring in your usual racial crap, but the truth is there have been plenty of pop hits that have won over Katy's songs. (And several of those songs of Katy's have been at the top of the rhythmic chart)

Katy should have had that voting block on Dark Horse. Instead the Grammy went to a song that never made it to Urban or Rhythmic stations, much less was one of the highest selling songs of the year.

Juicy J doesn't have nearly the stature of Pharrell.

There is many more crossover voters for a sound like Say Something than for urban music. The Sam Smith and Adele crowd. It doesn't annoy rock Ā fans and older voters who aren't big on pure pop.

Ā 

Gender is not Katy's hinderance here.

Ā 

It's hard to say because so few males sing pure pop or dance pop.

But I known plenty of males who despise it as a girly genre or use gendered insults against it.

Pop rock and urban pop or some slow heartfelt ballad is more widely acceptable.

StrawberryBlond

Like a lot of people, I'm tempted to say it's because of her limited songwriting talent, generic choice of singles and her poor vocals (especially when live), but that thoery just doesn't hold up when you see who else has won a Grammy (Britney, Rihanna, to name but a few, who have the exact same problems). So, there must be another reason and it's simply that she always faces competition that's simply too strong. The pop category is usually a highly competitive one because everyone in it is highly successful. It's much easier to win in other genres where you'd be the only big name that voters automatically latch onto. And it just so happens that, as much as I like a lot of Katy's singles, there's always at least one song better than her whenever she's nominated. Now more than ever, she's struggling to get awards because she's no longer at her peak. She probably came very close with her Teenage Dream era but with Prism, she had no chance as it simply wasn't having the impact to justify a win. I notice that even her ballads aren't enough to win the academy over. Wide Awake is the only one that managed to get a nomination. It's funny, because ballads are usually Grammy bait and it must be the only reason Capitol still makes her release them because the public doesn't respond that well to them. If she is going to go in a more acoustic direction next time, in that case, it looks like this was her last ever chance to win a Grammy. If even the notoriously acoustic preferring academy doesn't rate her ballads highly enough to nominate them, what hope does she have with a full album of them? I also think they only give her nominations because she's popular, so if the public stop making her work popular, she'll just stop getting nominated. Why else do you think only her 2 biggest hits from Prism got nominated? And anything that charted lower than #3 her entire career didn't get nominated either?

Jeffrey_This_Way

I honestly thought that this was her year to win and was shocked when she didn't. Ā Then I smiled. Ā 

TEANUS

Because she releases music for radio, her goal isn't quality. She is there to please the masses, and that's fine. But it obviously isn't what the Grammys want. There's always someone in the category with her that they obviously think did better.

This

British social ladies with upturned pinkies, glasses clinking // xoxoTEANUS

Elizabeth

I genuinely don't know. I don't think it's anything to do with quality because there's songs a hundred times worse than anything Katy has put out that have Grammy's.

Because her music lacks of quality and she doesn't bring antyhing new to the table, she is always playing it safe and that doesn't impress anyone, I kissed a girl and Ur so Gay was the last time she took a risk, even though those songs were nothing innovative or impressive, no matter how many nominations she gets, there is always going to be someone better than her nominated in the same category

Ā 

the only songs in her career that were worth of a grammys are the one that got away and Dark horse imo

Ā 

the rest is just something for the Kids/Teen choice awards, not 4 the grammys

Ā 

tumblr_mrzv1bmXGw1rtta3uo1_250.gif

My Favs = Lady Gaga, Janet Jackson, Ricky Martin, AKB48

RAMROD

It is pretty obvious to me.

She may attracts radios.

But her work are just mediocre at best.

And her competition each year at Grammy are always miles better than her.

(ļ¾‰ā—•ćƒ®ā—•)ļ¾‰āœ§*:ļ½„ļ¾Ÿ AND I'M VICTORIA, MALCOLM! (*Ā“č‰øļ½€*) ā™”ā™”ā™”

• Admin locked this topic

Archived