celeb

Drake Bell: "Sorry....still calling you Bruce."

Stef

Featured Posts

Kermit

​Capital M-E-S-S:laughga:

Maybe he should start his own pet clothesline :fat:

:laughga:

“For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal is psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity.” ― Jean Dubuffet

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
rubytuesday

She's been using the name Bruce for 60 years and suddenly, in a matter of 2 hours, it's devaluing? 

Look, I do understand the amount of struggle transgender people go through, but it's stupid to expect everyone in the world to get it too. I'd understand the outrage if he called her a "tranny" or anything like that, but just because he made a slightly insensitive comment doesn't give people the right to harrass and attack him. If you (I'm talking in general) call someone a "piece of trash" just because they are calling someone by their birth name, it means that you have a problem, and you are the bully, not them.

​you obviously understand nothing about "the amount of struggle transgender people go through" if you consider what happened a "slightly insensitive comment."  trans activists and scholars have been saying for decades that misgendering is an act of violence.  drake bell was clearly aware that what he was saying was cruel, more aware than you - an administrator on a lady gaga site????  nice - seem to be.  

why are you more upset about people tweeting mean things to drake bell after making immature, callous, transphobic comments than you are about actual transphobia?  how do you think that feels to trans members of this site?  

do yourself a favor and educate yourself. listen to talks by trans scholars such as laverne cox or janet mock. research trans history. then maybe you can begin to understand the CONTEXT of drake bell's comments and therefore their SIGNIFICANCE.

your ignorance is disheartening and your poor attempts to mitigate transphobia (for reasons that i don't understand?  are you friends with drake bell?  do you feel the same as he does and feel like you need to defend his comments because of that?) are embarrassing tbh.  i don't see how you can call yourself a gaga fan and say things like this when she has devoted so much of her career - musically, politically, personally, financially, etc - to directly addressing this kind of ignorance because it KILLS PEOPLE.  IT KILLS PEOPLE.  and if you are a member of the lgbt+ community, how the **** do you feel comfortable handwaving ignorance, no matter how big or small, directed at members of the lgbt+ community????? lmao

germagaga

She's been using the name Bruce for 60 years and suddenly, in a matter of 2 hours, it's devaluing? 

Look, I do understand the amount of struggle transgender people go through, but it's stupid to expect everyone in the world to get it too. I'd understand the outrage if he called her a "tranny" or anything like that, but just because he made a slightly insensitive comment doesn't give people the right to harrass and attack him. If you (I'm talking in general) call someone a "piece of trash" just because they are calling someone by their birth name, it means that you have a problem, and you are the bully, not them.

​"When you call a trans woman a man, that is an act of violence." -Laverne Cox

Of course you don't understand. You're calling an act of misgendering someone in reaction to that person declaring her gender and her new name "a slightly insensitive comment." To you, it doesn't seem like a slur or an attack on someone's innermost being, and I don't really know how to persuade you because all of the arguments have already been said by user rubytuesday and user ITSVENUSBITCH.

I'll just tell you, for trans people, misgendering is the same as a slur, it's a tool that's used institutionally and interpersonally to violate and repress the identities and expression of trans people, similarly to the way that slurs have been used against ethnic minorities, gay people, the disabled, and women. In many ways, it's worse than a slur, because it's a rejection of the identity that the trans person has that most matches up with what they feel inside, that identity that many have had to repress for most of their lives, Caitlyn being one such example.

Yanko

​you obviously understand nothing about "the amount of struggle transgender people go through" if you consider what happened a "slightly insensitive comment."  trans activists and scholars have been saying for decades that misgendering is an act of violence.  drake bell was clearly aware that what he was saying was cruel, more aware than you - an administrator on a lady gaga site????  nice - seem to be.  

why are you more upset about people tweeting mean things to drake bell after making immature, callous, transphobic comments than you are about actual transphobia?  how do you think that feels to trans members of this site?  

do yourself a favor and educate yourself. listen to talks by trans scholars such as laverne cox or janet mock. research trans history. then maybe you can begin to understand the CONTEXT of drake bell's comments and therefore their SIGNIFICANCE.

your ignorance is disheartening and your poor attempts to mitigate transphobia (for reasons that i don't understand?  are you friends with drake bell?  do you feel the same as he does and feel like you need to defend his comments because of that?) are embarrassing tbh.  i don't see how you can call yourself a gaga fan and say things like this when she has devoted so much of her career - musically, politically, personally, financially, etc - to directly addressing this kind of ignorance because it KILLS PEOPLE.  IT KILLS PEOPLE.  and if you are a member of the lgbt+ community, how the **** do you feel comfortable handwaving ignorance, no matter how big or small, directed at members of the lgbt+ community????? lmao

:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

Admin

​You missed my point completely but I'm not surprised because it sounds like you care more about calling someone ignorant, embarrassing etc. rather than transphobia killing people.

rubytuesday

​You missed my point completely but I'm not surprised because it sounds like you care more about calling someone ignorant, embarrassing etc. rather than transphobia killing people.

​oh my god lmao

germagaga

​I like that you didn't even bother trying to think of a response to rubytuesday's criticisms lmao

Yanko

​u didnt even try lmao 

Admin

​I like that you didn't even bother trying to think of a response to rubytuesday's criticisms lmao

That post is nothing but "You are so so so ignorant and I'm so so so mad about it", what's there to respond to?

germagaga

That post is nothing but "You are so so so ignorant and I'm so so so mad about it", what's there to respond to?

Did you even read it? You said that you don't understand "the outrage." Rubytuesday explained why people are upset and why you don't understand:

"do yourself a favor and educate yourself. listen to talks by trans scholars such as laverne cox or janet mock. research trans history. then maybe you can begin to understand the CONTEXT of drake bell's comments and therefore their SIGNIFICANCE."

"trans activists and scholars have been saying for decades that misgendering is an act of violence."

"why are you more upset about people tweeting mean things to drake bell after making immature, callous, transphobic comments than you are about actual transphobia?  how do you think that feels to trans members of this site?"

"and if you are a member of the lgbt+ community, how the **** do you feel comfortable handwaving ignorance, no matter how big or small, directed at members of the lgbt+ community?????"

And you responded to none of rubytuesday's comments or criticisms, possibly because you can't think of anything to defend your opinion.

Jester

Her mother still calls her Bruce, is she transphobic as well?

It's most probably just a matter of adjustment and sudden change (even though she existed since who knows how many years ago) and has nothing to do with hate towards a transgendered individual.

Admin

Did you even read it? You said that you don't understand "the outrage." Rubytuesday explained why people are upset and why you don't understand

​Again, point missed. I'm not talking about the context or significance of that guy's comments, I'm talking about the fact that you have no right to harass people just because they are ignorant. Not only that, but such behavior only generates more hate and makes ignorant people even more ignorant. Social justice warriors are not helping fight transphobia, they are only making it worse.

rubytuesday

i'll break it down for you so it's easier to understand!

​"you obviously understand nothing about "the amount of struggle transgender people go through" if you consider what happened a "slightly insensitive comment."  trans activists and scholars have been saying for decades that misgendering is an act of violence.  drake bell was clearly aware that what he was saying was cruel, more aware than you - an administrator on a lady gaga site????  nice - seem to be."

here i point out that your responses in this thread show that you are speaking on a complex issue that you have a very superficial understanding of.  i also provide a key point to my argument - that misgendering is an act of violence, and that this has been stated by trans activists for decades.  i also brought up that drake bell seemed to understand that what he said was cruel or at least unpopular, even if he doesn't agree with why, since he repeatedly defended himself and then deleted his tweets.  from what i've seen, you do not understand why what he said was cruel or unpopular.  you seem to think that everyone just loves to bully (which, if you consider drake bell the bully in the situation i'm even more confused.  equating transphobia with mean tweets is ridiculous - unless, of course, you don't take transphobia seriously.  i can condemn drake bell's tweets without endorsing harassment - which i haven't, and i don't). 

"why are you more upset about people tweeting mean things to drake bell after making immature, callous, transphobic comments than you are about actual transphobia?  how do you think that feels to trans members of this site?"

now i directly question you, which encourages a direct response from you.  in my first question, i ask you why you seem to think that drake bell's transphobic comments are less severe than people tweeting mean things to him (in response to transphobia, remember).  then in my second question, i ask you how you think your responses to this instance of transphobia might make trans members of this site feel.  you are the administrator of this website so i think that's a fair question to ask, especially since you should have already been thinking about that.  if i saw an administrator of a website i belonged to saying that homophobic comments were not a big deal, for example, then i would feel hurt and unsafe.  surely you care about how the members of your site feel and are affected by instances of intolerance such as this?  (<- that's another example of a question!)

"do yourself a favor and educate yourself. listen to talks by trans scholars such as laverne cox or janet mock. research trans history. then maybe you can begin to understand the CONTEXT of drake bell's comments and therefore their SIGNIFICANCE."

here i invite you to actually listen to trans voices so that you can better understand what it means to be transgender and hopefully - as i go on to state - you can understand why people are hurt and upset by drake bell's tweets, since you don't seem to currently.  if you are a member of the lgbt+ community (since you never responded to my post, i don't know if you are), then surely you have encountered some kind of discrimination before, and are aware that one of the root causes of the kind of ignorance you have experienced is because people are not educated on lgbt+ issues, culture, and history, making it very easy to dehumanize members of the lgbt+ community and be hateful and discriminatory (through "big" acts such as homophobic legislation and violence - including murder (did you know that trans women face a disproportionately high amount of violence compared to the rest of the lgbt+ community with some studies even finding that 1/12 trans women are murdered?) and "small" acts, such as microaggressions, of which the refusal to acknowledge a trans person's identity can be considered.  misgendering is inarguably an act of violence, anyway.)

"your ignorance is disheartening and your poor attempts to mitigate transphobia (for reasons that i don't understand?  are you friends with drake bell?  do you feel the same as he does and feel like you need to defend his comments because of that?) are embarrassing tbh.  i don't see how you can call yourself a gaga fan and say things like this when she has devoted so much of her career - musically, politically, personally, financially, etc - to directly addressing this kind of ignorance because it KILLS PEOPLE.  IT KILLS PEOPLE.  and if you are a member of the lgbt+ community, how the **** do you feel comfortable handwaving ignorance, no matter how big or small, directed at members of the lgbt+ community????? lmao"

here i use questions again as i wonder what would motivate you to defend drake bell.  i say that you attempt to mitigate transphobia - meaning, make it seem like it's not a big deal.  i say that your ignorance is disheartening (it is disheartening, and it is ignorance) and that your attempts to mitigate it are embarrassing (it is embarrassing).

i then communicate my confusion as to how you can have these opinions and also be a gaga fan, and a big enough of one that you are the administrator on a gaga fansite, because - as i stated in the original post - she has devoted much of her career to trying to dismantle bigotry and aid the lgbt+ youth that has been harmed by that bigotry.  i then point out that the kind of ignorance that drake bell is expressing and that you, by reacting the way you have are endorsing, kills people, which it does.  his comments are part of a larger system of oppression that i'm sure you are aware of even if you have not personally experienced it, and when you defend comments such as his, you are helping the machine.  i, who am a member of the lgbt+ community, then wonder how you, if you are a member of the lgbt+ community, can possibly defend his comments (or, if you don't believe you are defending them, how you can not understand why they are harmful or a big deal, or why people are affected by them).

i hope that clears things up for you!

germagaga

​Again, point missed. I'm not talking about the context or significants of that guy's comments, I'm talking about the fact that you have no right to harass people just because they are ignorant. Not only that, but such behavior only generates more hate and makes ignorant people even more ignorant. Social justice warriors are not helping fight transphobia, they are only making it worse.

First, I can condemn Drake's transphobia without condoning harrassment, and that is my position. I never said otherwise, only explained why people are upset, because you literally said that you don't see a problem with what Drake said. 

Second, the idea that the backlash against prejudice is somehow worse than the transphobia/racism/homophobia itself is a tool that originates from those who want to control the voices of the oppressed by keeping them from spreading that opinion, or from actually having to suffer consequences for their actions. Do you know anything about the history of the civil rights movement? Do you know how many protests and boycotts financially ruined or at least hurt the reputations of large institutions and wealthy individuals, because, get this, they were discriminatory and using their wealth and power to abuse and people in a social setting that had been used to justify burning down African American people's homes, schools, and worse? They weren't worried about their language making racism worse, but generating awareness! Swaying public opinion! Damaging the economic viability of maintaining racism! The "don't fight fire with fire" argument does not hold ground

Admin

First, I can condemn Drake's transphobia without condoning harrassment, and that is my position. I never said otherwise, only explained why people are upset, because you literally said that you don't see a problem with what Drake said. 

Second, the idea that the backlash against prejudice is somehow worse than the transphobia/racism/homophobia itself is a tool that originates from those who want to control the voices of the oppressed by keeping them from spreading that opinion, or from actually having to suffer consequences for their actions. Do you know anything about the history of the civil rights movement? Do you know how many protests and boycotts financially ruined or at least hurt the reputations of large institutions and wealthy individuals, because, get this, they were discriminatory and using their wealth and power to abuse and people in a social setting that had been used to justify burning down African American people's homes, schools, and worse? They weren't worried about their language making racism worse, but generating awareness! Swaying public opinion! Damaging the economic viability of being and maintaining racism!

Getting angry over someone's tweet does not make you a part of the civil rights movement. This is my point all along: there are people who actually care about social issues, and then there are social justice warriors who search for people's tweets on the internet only to get offended by them.

Archived