💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

'Hunger Games' star criticizes Taylor Swift, Madonna for 'rampant' appropriation of black culture

Remus

Featured Posts

SlayedForTheGod

Do black girls who dye their hair blonde appropriate white culture?

:reductive:​

im so sick of this damn statement. you know black girls can naturally grow blonde hair right? gtfo  

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Princess Die

Ok. So talking ratchetℱ and cornrowsℱ are only for black people. You must love reinforcing stereotypes. 

Nod if you wanna make love with the enemy. ❀

SKANK

It's great that she is young and interested in making our world a better place, and if this is an issue that speaks to her then I'm glad she is doing something about it. But.

I don't know if it bodes well for our future that trigger warnings, micro aggressions, and cultural appropriation are hands down the most vigorously discussed topics among young people who are interested in social change. I see tumblr Social Justice Warriors and people like them discussing a whole range of issues but cultural appropriation is clearly a favored topic of discussion. Likely because it's a topic that supplies clear cut villains who you can rally against. Taylor Swift parodies Hip Hop culture? SHAME HER! 

When you realize that America has turned millions of poor black prisoners into slave laborers in private for-profit prisons, a form of slavery sanctioned by our constitution, suddenly the appropriation of grills, fĂŒcking grills, seems like such a petty thing to waste time on. 

ItsTommyBitch

I do see her point and agree with a few of her examples. But ultimately, I don't think culture should be so set in stone. Cultures mixing can produce amazing things, particularly in music and dance. It's one thing to take someone else's culture and apply it in a way that seems derogatory, stereotypical or racist...but simply expanding your mind to other cultures is perfectly fine. No one can own culture. It filters through society. And we should be pleased when others take our culture and try to make it their own as its shows our impact and that we're appreciated. When we say "only this race/culture can do this," we're crushing potential.

​

I don't think you are really getting the point of what makes it appropriation. People who recognize cultural appropriation exists are not saying that every single race needs to have their own culture and remain "segregated", but its definitely a problem when a majority group uses the culture of a minority group in a way that is mocking, or seen as better by society, or turned into a negative stereotype against such people. Often times this leads to people of certain races not being able to actually express their own culture without repercussions, where as white people or other majority people ( :green: ) can. This is why people like Azealia Banks claim that black people are being "robbed" of their culture. Its really not as harmless as "oh its just music"or "oh its just a hair style" or "oh its just a stereotype" (this one is just problematic :sweep: ) There are ways to healthily appreciate and contribute to a culture without taking it away from the group that it originated from.

Lets say, Macklemore for example. He is a white male rapper who perfectly understands the concept of privilege and is actually really good about acknowledging it. He is using rap and hip-hop culture, but hes not doing it by trying to be black. He isn't making a mockery of the trade (at least imo). The only controversial part is that some see him as better because he has turned a "black" thing into a white one. (though lets be real, the catchy part of Thrift Shop definitely doesn't feature him :laughga: 

Using an example of when its problematic, lets talk about Black hair. Certain "black" hair styles have significant historical context and deep meaning to black people, especially black women. These hair styles are often looked down upon by society. Sometimes black women's hair is "inappropriate for the work place" and they are often denied jobs simply for letting their hair grow naturally. White people who use these hair styles do not face such discrimination on a daily basis, they have turned a person's history into a fashion trend, which is offensive and dismissive to the people who actually have to deal with the repercussions o "black hair".

Intersectionally (scary word I know :laughga: ) Lets also say that white people who dress black or appear black are generally seen as more "thuggish", and lesser. What does this message say about society? White people want to pick apart certain traits of what it means to be "black" and use them, but everything else is unacceptable. Lets be clear, those people still benefit from "white privilege", but similar to how feminine men (of any s-xuality) can be persecuted because they resemble women and are being something "not true to themselves" ( :awkney: ) or emasculating themselves. Are we setting the same standards for white people who try to be black? Are we shaming them because they are simply "not being true to themselves" (w.e the heck that means :lmao: ) or because they are impersonating a minority group that is still controversial. Racism and Sexism exist and prevalent in our society, so its important to note that people are still persecuted against for trying to be on that level.

Then you have things like Katy Perry's TIHWD music video which is full of a bunch of stereotypical things deemed "harmless" by society like watermelon. Society both condemns those who act "black", but mocks and makes caricatures of black culture simultaneously.

私è‡Șèș«ă‚‚こた䞖た䞭もèȘ°ă‚‚ă‹ă‚Œă‚‚ăŒ, どんăȘă«èŻă‚„ă‹ăȘäșș生でも, どんăȘにæ‚Č惚ăȘäșș生でも, い぀かは怉èȌし, ç ŽćŁŠă•ă‚Œă€æ¶ˆæ»…ă—ăŠă—ăŸă†. すăčăŠăŒă‚‚ăšă‚‚ăšă“ăźäž–ă«ć­˜ćœšă—ăȘい侀瞬ぼćč»æƒłăȘぼだから

Iwontell

Gurl, please! Everybody knows Madonna invented grills back in 2013. Check your facts.

I'm 200% here for any dragging of Katy Perry.

ATTENTION: (bad) jokes and sarcasm are still a thing, so don't take everything I say literally. Thank you.

SEANGT

I don't get how it doesn't make sense if you listen to the argument she makes. It's ignored and stereotypical when black people do it, and then all these white pop stars do the same things and they make millions. Sounds like racism to me. All these privileged people here getting mad because they want to pretend racism doesn't exist in nuanced ways like this, but it does.  

Hellspont

isnt this appropriating black culture by saying those things represent all black people?

SEANGT

It's great that she is young and interested in making our world a better place, and if this is an issue that speaks to her then I'm glad she is doing something about it. But.

I don't know if it bodes well for our future that trigger warnings, micro aggressions, and cultural appropriation are hands down the most vigorously discussed topics among young people who are interested in social change. I see tumblr Social Justice Warriors and people like them discussing a whole range of issues but cultural appropriation is clearly a favored topic of discussion. Likely because it's a topic that supplies clear cut villains who you can rally against. Taylor Swift parodies Hip Hop culture? SHAME HER! 

When you realize that America has turned millions of poor black prisoners into slave laborers in private for-profit prisons, a form of slavery sanctioned by our constitution, suddenly the appropriation of grills, fĂŒcking grills, seems like such a petty thing to waste time on. 

They are real things though. They are things that are completely off the radar and often times dismissed. They are the forms of everyday racism everyone should know so that we can stop doing them. Tumblr and social media is a great way to spread that message. The undercover slavery that happens in this country and around the world is another, huge, complex manifestation of racism that we need more awareness of as well. But it doesn't mean nobody should talk about this. 

BornAsUnic0rn

This makes me so sad. It's not even funny anymore..

So white people aren't allowed to be wearing tooth grills or cornrows but black people are allowed to bleach their hair and skin? Funny, because they bleach their skin and hair. You are black, no need to get blonde or have light skin. There are even some who get surgery just for blue eyes. I feel betrayed if you do that. Appropriation at it's best. 

Also: Should I call out people for drinking german beer, eating brezles, buying german sweets (Haribo,...), driving in cars (and I could go on) just because they are not German and these were/are our things?  Should I call out metros-xual people because they act like faggies and acting like faggies is a gay thing?

MJ took appropriation to its best by not only acting white but getting white. 

Cody Draco

Ok. So talking ratchetℱ and cornrowsℱ are only for black people. You must love reinforcing stereotypes. 

​THIS. It confuses me to no end that a lot of black people would want to claim and celebrate stereotypes that affect their daily lives. Hip-Hop culture being equated to black culture is not good. :ohno:

Ferrer Zorola

I'm Mexican and I don't find it offensive when people from all over the world prepare and eat their versions of tacos (the originals are better and they're our treasure anyways) nor when people that aren't Mexicans wear ponchos :awkney: 

LIFE IS GOOD

It's not really disallowing others to embrace the culture for the sake of disallowing and making it strictly exclusive, but more of condemning those who can't show consideration, or willingly fail to do so, to those who actually belong, live, and for some even suffer the originating culture. That's the problem with today's mainstream media.

Deliberately ignoring the unfortunate realities in the past, which exists even to this day among some members of the oppressed community, to simply follow a 'trend', be 'eccentric', or to stand out from the crowd is as worse as stealing, exploiting, and mocking one's identity for the heck of it. Isn't it also a form of emotional bullying? Again, everything boils down to respect. If one can't respect something, then by all means, don't meddle with it. Otherwise, you're just inviting yourself for criticisms, both deserved and undeserved.

Didymus

It's not really disallowing others to embrace the culture for the sake of disallowing and making it strictly exclusive, but more of condemning those who can't show consideration, or willingly fail to do so, to those who actually belong, live, and for some even suffer the originating culture. That's the problem with today's mainstream media.

Deliberately ignoring the unfortunate realities in the past, which exists even to this day among some members of the oppressed community, to simply follow a 'trend', be 'eccentric', or to stand out from the crowd is as worse as stealing, exploiting, and mocking one's identity for the heck of it. Isn't it also a form of emotional bullying? Again, everything boils down to respect. If one can't respect something, then by all means, don't meddle with it. Otherwise, you're just inviting yourself for criticisms, both deserved and undeserved.

​Agreed completely, but how do you connect THAT to celebrities in a music video?

I still don't see any connection between seeing opportunities for trends (and let's not pretend white celebrities only get their ideas for them in the black community or something) and taking them to stand out from the crowd and "deliberately ignoring the unfortunate realities in the past".

I honestly don't think most celebrities mean genuine disrespect to an entire culture when they choose to wear/do something that they think could put them in the spotlight. If artists don't mean disrespect, then is it still worthy of serious criticism? That just sounds petty to me.

How the heck are watermelons exclusive to the black culture only ?  :toofloppy: 

Anyway, adapting other culture always happens. It happened back then. It's how our specific cultures evolved. Our world is dynamic, everything changes over time with no boundaries, and our cultures are no exception. I just don't see anything wrong with this "appropriation" concept they're naming. What I can only see are people who fail to see these kinds of things in more than one perspective. :shrug:

Archived