💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

'Hunger Games' star criticizes Taylor Swift, Madonna for 'rampant' appropriation of black culture

Remus

Featured Posts

ItsTommyBitch

some people are still trying to make that cultural appreciation bull***** happen I see

It happens even when we are quiet :sis: You tried it though :thetea: 

私自身もこの世の中も誰もかれもが, どんなに華やかな人生でも, どんなに悲惨な人生でも, いつかは変貌し, 破壊され、消滅してしまう. すべてがもともとこの世に存在しない一瞬の幻想なのだから

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It happens even when we are quiet :sis: You tried it though :thetea: 

​it didn't try anything

I just find people and their reactions over nothing

ps: are you even black?

:lana:

My Favs = Lady Gaga, Janet Jackson, Ricky Martin, AKB48

ItsTommyBitch

​it didn't try anything

I just find people and their reactions over nothing

ps: are you even black?

:lana:

​I was actually kidding not trying to be too shady :emma:  There are much bigger things that don't affect the livelihoods of millions of people indirectly to find funny :shrug: 

And yes, I am :laughga: though its not like I need to be to be educated on these things :koons: 

私自身もこの世の中も誰もかれもが, どんなに華やかな人生でも, どんなに悲惨な人生でも, いつかは変貌し, 破壊され、消滅してしまう. すべてがもともとこの世に存在しない一瞬の幻想なのだから

​I was actually kidding not trying to be too shady :emma:  There are much bigger things that don't affect the livelihoods of millions of people indirectly to find funny :shrug: 

And yes, I am :laughga: though its not like I need to be to be educated on these things :koons: 

​I just think that people make a big deal over nothing

I am latino and I loved all the times Madonna has done/used latin references in her songs and videos through her career

ItsTommyBitch

​I just think that people make a big deal over nothing

I am latino and I loved all the times Madonna has done/used latin references in her songs and videos through her career

​Well, I don't follow Madonna ( :green: ) so I really can't comment on those things. I also don't know anything personal about latin references, or what might be deemed offensive :emma: People can and will have different opinions and perspectives on what is offensive though :shrug:  and a large # of people feel cultural appropriation is a huge problem with black culture and pop culture (on top of evidence supporting its existence :emma: ) so its clearly not "nothing" to these people.

​Well, I don't follow Madonna ( :green: ) so I really can't comment on those things. I also don't know anything personal about latin references, or what might be deemed offensive :emma: People can and will have different opinions and perspectives on what is offensive though :shrug:  and a large # of people feel cultural appropriation is a huge problem with black culture and pop culture (on top of evidence supporting its existence :emma: ) so its clearly not "nothing" to these people.

​I mean something like this

watch it

I'm latino and I stan for this video and song:proud:

ItsTommyBitch

​I mean something like this

watch it

I'm latino and I stan for this video and song:proud:

​I didn't find this particularly offensive, seeing as I didn't see any harmful stereotypes about latino people being re-imagined, nor her claiming this as her own culture. I saw a dress and a dance, and those seemed more like instances of appreciation. It IS okay to be inspired by other cultures; Madonna wasn't using latin people as caricatures of themselves, perpetuating negative or offensive stereotypes about them,  or taking something from latin people that has a hundred + years of history and bastardizing it into something derivative of its former, all of which are things that DO happen when white people appropriate black culture enmasse. There also doesn't really exist a ton of stigma around any of the stuff she did here as far as I know. She didn't take cornrows or afros and make them a fashion statement, or anything like that, let alone any latin hair styles (again as far as I know :laughga: )

Also it was catchy af :awesome: 

MJHolland

Black people apparently now want to trademark everything that is in their "culture" and ban and criticize all white famous people that use "black culture" as a means to become famous?

The only racism I see going on here is this little black girl telling Miley Cyrus she can't twerk because it's a "black thing" now apparently.

"Cultural appropriate" isn't a really thing and if THAT is the racism you're crying about in the year 2015 you have faaaarrrrrr too much free time on your hands. Let's talk about ACTUAL injustice in this world and not Taylor Swift using 30 second clips of black girls dancing in her Shake It Off music video.

MJHolland

Can you imagine if Lady Gaga went on twitter and told black people to stop appropriating white culture? 

Racism is defined as the ideology that one race is inherently superior to another. So if you truly are not a racist you must believe that ALL races are equal and ALL races have to right to share in ALL culture.

If a black person argues that only black people should be able to partake in their culture, then it should be completely valid for white/asian/latino people to tell black people they can't use their culture. 

MJHolland

"Cultural appropriation" is a concept that people made up as an excuse to get angry at people of other races for being successful.

EXAMPLE -- The founder of Chipotle Mexican Grill is a white male named Steve Ells. He is now an extremely wealthy billionaire. All his success is dependent on Mexican food and thus culture. Do you see the Mexican-American community up in arms that the Chipotle founder "appropriated" Mexican culture and has to devote his money and political efforts to help the mexican community like these loud fringe groups are about Iggy Azalea? Of course not. That is absolutely ridiculous.

Melech

​I didn't find this particularly offensive, seeing as I didn't see any harmful stereotypes about latino people being re-imagined, nor her claiming this as her own culture. I saw a dress and a dance, and those seemed more like instances of appreciation. It IS okay to be inspired by other cultures; Madonna wasn't using latin people as caricatures of themselves, perpetuating negative or offensive stereotypes about them,  or taking something from latin people that has a hundred + years of history and bastardizing it into something derivative of its former, all of which are things that DO happen when white people appropriate black culture enmasse. There also doesn't really exist a ton of stigma around any of the stuff she did here as far as I know. She didn't take cornrows or afros and make them a fashion statement, or anything like that, let alone any latin hair styles (again as far as I know :laughga: )

​What do you think about all the German stereotypes in movie where Germans are shown as angry or nazis or as no fun etc? Isn't that also cultural appreciation ?

The Professor

im so sick of this damn statement. you know black girls can naturally grow blonde hair right? gtfo  

​Those of African Decent cannot. It is common in Melanesians, who are technically pacific islanders. 

It was an example of how ridiculous a one-way flow of culture is. Equality will never be met if only certain races are not allowed to do certain things. Parodying is obviously an issue, but you dont see gay people getting upset that "throwing shade" has become a popular term despite the fact it originated in the Drag scene in the 70's. 

"Cultural appropriation" is a concept that people made up as an excuse to get angry at people of other races for being successful.

EXAMPLE -- The founder of Chipotle Mexican Grill is a white male named Steve Ells. He is now an extremely wealthy billionaire. All his success is dependent on Mexican food and thus culture. Do you see the Mexican-American community up in arms that the Chipotle founder "appropriated" Mexican culture and has to devote his money and political efforts to help the mexican community like these loud fringe groups are about Iggy Azalea? Of course not. That is absolutely ridiculous.

So much agreeing on the Iggy Azalea thing.

"She's rapping in a black accent! She's twerking as well. She should be standing up for the black community. That's the least thing she could do!1!" Then she was called out and painted as "racist" when she remained neutral on the issue she's not even part of. Like a "rapper = standing up for the blacks" logic. Meanwhile, other rappers weren't called out when they remained silent or didnt speak about the black shooting incident.

That clearly shows there is a selective targetting on these racism issues, that is, the white people.

Asians, Hispanic/latinos and even Native Americans (who seem to be neglected the most of this "racism" issue) get as much "racism" as blacks get imo. If blacks can feel resentment against these social race structure, so can these other ethnic groups but they didnt.  :shrug:

Kayla

​Exactly. There is a difference between respectfully using culture and bastardizing it to make a statement that completely disregards the legitimacy of its roots. 

People aren't saying white people can't wear cornrows, twerk, or use things that are typically associated with black culture. We're saying if you're going to knowingly take something from another culture, don't be a **** about it and then tell people they're "overreacting" when they notice you using something very near and dear to them for your own personal gain. 

For example, Gaga using spanish language and music in Americano was not cultural appropriation- she was singing that way out of respect to her hispanic fans and as a way to show them she was supportive of their struggles. The entire song is about how she doesn't agree with how America treats Mexicans, how our "language" to them is one she doesn't speak; she'd rather speak the same language as the people our own country is demonizing. 

Now, if Gaga were to wear a sombrero and laugh while saying "HOLA! MI LLAMO ES LADY GAGO! BUY MI ALBUMO!" that would be rude. If she were to show up at a red carpet wearing a poncho and carrying a taco, or switched Asia out for a Chihuahua, that would be rude. ( :laughga: )

Archived