Joker 2 Out October 4th Banner
other

Marina and the Diamonds cynical about artists who pander LGBT community

Monster2015

Featured Posts

darkchylde

I agree....after and during BTW era, songs from Kesha, Pink, Katy, etc were all "gay acceptance" songs...

Anyone can be "pandering" to a certain group based on changing genres (Taylor/Gaga) and image (Justin/Miley)

​Nice try, Kesha and P!nk have been doing this since the beginning. Animal was about that, Raise Your Glass was about that and those are before BTW era. Also, Kesha's a strong LGBT+ supporter (despite "Grow A Pair") and has said many times she'll refuse to marry anyone until there's equality in all states.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
gagzus

Nick Jonas, Katy Perry, Madonna and Miley spring to mind.

I know it's taboo to say Madonna but i think she knew & still knows how to use the gay community. (Not me though)

bionic

Nick Jonas, Katy Perry, Madonna and Miley spring to mind.

I know it's taboo to say Madonna but i think she knew & still knows how to use the gay community. (Not me though)

​And Kylie too, right?

buy bionic

gagzus

​And Kylie too, right?

​no actually, i haven't seen enough of her interviews or seen her mention gay people

(& ur sarcasm and attempt to start arguments isn't gonna work so leave)

Evan Peters

If this is about Gaga then I wouldn't be surprised since she talked **** about her on her blog or sthm back in '09.

I rarely ever read interviews with Marina because she always ends up annoying me :sweat: 

emma roberts is an abuser

StrawberryBlond

I doubt she's talking about Gaga, somehow. Gaga was the really genuine one who started the trend and a lot of un-genuine people followed, so I think it's the followers she's referring to. I can definitely agree with what she's saying. Although she doesn't state specifics, I think there's two incidence she's referring to when she says this.

One of them is claiming a song is about supporting the gays after its release. I think Kesha's We R Who We R is the best example of this. It's clearly a song about getting ready for a night out, of any gender, but a while after its release, she started to say it was about LGBT support and the people in the song are gays going out. She later performed with a bunch of male soldiers in heels for live promo (this was shortly after Alejandro had been released, so it seemed like a major Gaga rip-off). The whole thing stank of using Gaga's tactics to get gay support and it just came off as phoney and try-hard.

And the other much worse incidence of exploiting gays for sales is the trend of new female artists announcing themselves as bis-xual. This would normally be something you'd wait until later to reveal for fear it would ruin your career but females like Nicki Minaj and Jessie J were coming fresh out the gate claiming to be bi and being totally open and unapologetic about it. Which was all well and good until it emerged that both of them were lying about it to get attention. They admitted to it. Jessie's admittance was the worst as she couldn't seem to stop bringing up how she wasn't really bi, she was completely straight, as if we didn't get the message the first time. This played a huge role in the disbandment of her largely LGBT fanbase and why she can't get a hit or a soldout tour anymore. And then you've also got people like Katy Perry who made a song about kissing girls to gain a hit through controversy despite never having gone through such an experience.

At the end of the day, I can't bear to see people who have had to deal with the trials and tribulations of being non-hetero being so trivialised by singers now. Songs like I Kissed A Girl suggest that all girls are naturally bicurious and if they do experiment, it's means nothing and won't lead to a relationship. This is the exact stereotype a lot of lesbians have been trying to end for years and only fuels the idea of "gay love isn't real." And singers lying about being bi suggests that bis-xuals are all attention seekers and just want to play into male fantasies, which is, again, another harmful stereotype. When there are people being bullied, disowned by their parents and are even committing suicide over their s-xual orientation, you cannot exploit them to sell a few extra copies of your album. And I say this as a heteros-xual.

Guys she really wasn't critizing people like Gaga..

​+ she's praised Gaga (on twitter) for her LGBT activism before so I'm fairly certain she knows it's genuine in her case.

ItsTommyBitch

Gaga definitely overdid/overdoes it with the "I only had gay friends when I went to high school" lies and her absurd 2009 quote: "The gays just understand me better than anyone else. They see crazy costumes and glitter and they see the beauty in it." + "my gays" during her shows. Other artists (Beyoncé for instance) don't get away with these things in this fanbase, so the double standard is there for sure.

But I will say that at least she was honest about it (at one point). In a forgotten 2009 interview she basically admitted to only support her gay fans because they made her famous and she didn't want to just drop them after actually becoming it, which is a totally acceptable motive imo.

http://37.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lz9bu35fTe1qinilbo1_250.gif

(How the **** do you embed on this damn site :air: )

私自身もこの世の中も誰もかれもが, どんなに華やかな人生でも, どんなに悲惨な人生でも, いつかは変貌し, 破壊され、消滅してしまう. すべてがもともとこの世に存在しない一瞬の幻想なのだから

ItsTommyBitch

​I'll try to find it, I think it was in that extreme tan interview of 2009 somewhere.

I'll let you know :dance:

​Nnnn that tan :deadbanana: 

私自身もこの世の中も誰もかれもが, どんなに華やかな人生でも, どんなに悲惨な人生でも, いつかは変貌し, 破壊され、消滅してしまう. すべてがもともとこの世に存在しない一瞬の幻想なのだから

ongs like I Kissed A Girl suggest that all girls are naturally bicurious and if they do experiment, it's means nothing and won't lead to a relationship. This is the exact stereotype a lot of lesbians have been trying to end for years and only fuels the idea of "gay love isn't real." 

​But the IKAG phenomena is very real. I read a survey that 20% of young British women have engaged in same-s-x s-xual activity, but the majority don't identify as bis-xual, and the number of bi-identified is larger than the number of lesbians.

This should be seen as positive and non-homophobic, rather than acting as if such s-xuality must be part of a radically other GLBT identity. And the IKAG song did really piss off homophobes in the US.

LoveandMagic

I get Marina's point. I definitely think people like Gaga, Madonna, and Kylie are NOT pandering, but there are some others that make me question their sincerity.

Just repeat to yourself, "It's just a show. I should really just relax."

Archived