Harlequin - OUT SEPTEMBER 27th
celeb

What's wrong with Gwen & Fergie?

Bloody

Featured Posts

blacklistedd

Gwens new music is wack. Thats it. When she came out with her solo debut she had skeptics from the get go, no doubt purists that wanted a band record as opposed to a pop record. Some people thought she was a sell out and some still do. But at the end of the day, Love Angel Music Baby was a dope record and a game changer. She was the cool girl of pop music. The Sweet Escape was hit or miss but she could still ride off the success of LAMB. She waited a long time, which honestly wouldn't have been an issue if she came out with something fresh, because Gwen Stefani is cool. Theres always room for her in mainstream culture. But the music sucks. It genuinely does.

Fergie idk, I mean LA Love or whatever its called wasn't the worst thing i've heard. I assume her comeback didn't pan out well because radio dj's think people don't care? Idk. So many pop girls have dominated since she left the solo scene that I assume radio didn't care to support her and if they don't then no one else will care either.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tropico

honestly, age. Ageism is a thing on radio. Radio would've eaten that **** up 5 years ago as a comeback but now its been too long and they don't care

​This is the only answer. Madonna is facing the same dilema. 

♢ Social Justice Enthusiast ♢

blacklistedd

These gurls were NEVER as popular as Gaga or Katy is. Fergie had just 1 big album and Gwen is mostly popular for the No Doubts band and a bit for her first album

​Eh not true. Fergie was basically the Katy Perry of 2006/2007. Every single she released got mad airplay and her album was huge. The era lasted for quite some time which wasn't standard back then (Nelly Furtado as well). Granted, not as long as Katy Perry, but celebrity cocksucking wasn't as disturbingly aggressive as it was by the time Katy came out with Teenage Dream. By that time pop stans were rabidly devoted. Had it been like that back then Fergie would've had a stream of #1 singles as well.

blacklistedd

​This is the only answer. Madonna is facing the same dilema. 

​Yes and no. Madonna does face ageism within the industry and certain DJ's, like BBC1 apparently, that didn't want to play her. But at the same time, they would be forced to play her regardless if there was enough interest. At the end of the day, the music shes making right now and the music she made with her last record hasn't been all that great so people don't care. She could easily slip back on the top of the charts with a good pop record, easily, without a doubt. But she hasn't made a genuinely good pop album in a decade which is why Confessions is the last record shes come out with to actually make a mark on pop culture both commercially and (more importantly) critically.

I also think a lot of publications or whatever that try to pull the age card on her as a criticism are missing the mark. At the end of the day what people are criticizing isn't her age, they think its her age but its not, its a matter of taste and quality. Shes been lacking in both for quite some time. People just get their argument confused and lose all credibility.

fuzzyandgreen

I'm not all too sure that Gwen really wants to do a massive whirlwind media circus and tour; she gives me the vibe that she wants to put out music and stay productive while also laying back enough to maintain family time. I've heard Hollaback Girl at least 4 or 5 times on the radio this past week, though.

http://popdust.com/2015/03/05/fergie-new-album-2015/

apparently fergie's still at work on her new album and this was just posted around a month ago.  how reliable the news is, i'm not 100%

as for gwen http://beaconstreetonline.net/gwen-stefani/interscope-to-billboard-on-gwens-new-album-status-nothing-new

again, dunno how reliable these sources are but there's some updates to give us a little more clarity : )

Bloody

;)http://popdust.com/2015/03/05/fergie-new-album-2015/

apparently fergie's still at work on her new album and this was just posted around a month ago.  how reliable the news is, i'm not 100%

as for gwen http://beaconstreetonline.net/gwen-stefani/interscope-to-billboard-on-gwens-new-album-status-nothing-new

again, dunno how reliable these sources are but there's some updates to give us a little more clarity : )

​Adding to the OP. ;)

Fiona Apple

​Eh not true. Fergie was basically the Katy Perry of 2006/2007. Every single she released got mad airplay and her album was huge. The era lasted for quite some time which wasn't standard back then (Nelly Furtado as well). Granted, not as long as Katy Perry, but celebrity cocksucking wasn't as disturbingly aggressive as it was by the time Katy came out with Teenage Dream. By that time pop stans were rabidly devoted. Had it been like that back then Fergie would've had a stream of #1 singles as well.

​Lol Fergie was more like the Iggy of 2006/2007. She had a couple of big hits and then she dissapeared

blacklistedd

​Lol Fergie was more like the Iggy of 2006/2007. She had a couple of big hits and then she dissapeared

​Are you too young to have lived through the mid-2000s conscious of popular culture? Because the fact that you think Fergies solo career is equivalent to Iggy is like....what? Iggy hasn't even had a couple of big hits. Shes had one big hit and then Black Widow.

Fergie started out with London Bridge in the summer of 06, lasted until Fergalicious in the winter which went well into 2007. Then Glamorous was impactful as 3rd single. Big Girls Don't Cry was the 4th single and the biggest of the era. And she topped it all off with Clumsy which also did really well. Thats 5 singles in a row that impacted the charts and radio. She was everywhere within that time period. Once Teenage Dream came out and started dominating I even thought to myself, this is the longest successful era since The Dutchess. And then clearly it surpassed it, but like I said, had people been as obsessed with pop stars back then as they are now/when Teenage Dream came out, im sure Fergie would've came off even more successful.

omg you werent even 10 when The Dutchess came out, you were like 7 or 8. No wonder.

Fiona Apple

​Are you too young to have lived through the mid-2000s conscious of popular culture? Because the fact that you think Fergies solo career is equivalent to Iggy is like....what? Iggy hasn't even had a couple of big hits. Shes had one big hit and then Black Widow.

Fergie started out with London Bridge in the summer of 06, lasted until Fergalicious in the winter which went well into 2007. Then Glamorous was impactful as 3rd single. Big Girls Don't Cry was the 4th single and the biggest of the era. And she topped it all off with Clumsy which also did really well. Thats 5 singles in a row that impacted the charts and radio. She was everywhere within that time period. Once Teenage Dream came out and started dominating I even thought to myself, this is the longest successful era since The Dutchess.

​She was obviously a lot bigger than what Iggy is. But her impact lasted for like 1-2 years so you seriously can't compare her or Gwen to Lady Gaga and Katy Perry lol... 

blacklistedd

​She was obviously a lot bigger than what Iggy is. But her impact lasted for like 1-2 years so you seriously can't compare her or Gwen to Lady Gaga and Katy Perry lol... 

​Fergies era was more successful than Gwens within that time period. Gwen has always sort of been an underdog in pop music imo. Like yeah Love Angel Music Baby was well liked and successful, but it was never as big as it could have or should have been. But I attribute that to the fact that Gwen was electro-pop in an era 100% dominated by cheap urban/hip-hop music.

And you can't compare her era to Lady Gaga or Katy Perrys because back then people weren't as ****ing obsessed with pop stars as they are now. The legions of little gay stan boys that obsess over female pop stars has never been as aggressive as these last few years upon Gaga/Katy's rise to dominance. Even when Katy first came out it wasn't that deep.

thefamefatale

To anyone who says "Gaga is fading too just like them" lol at you

don't be a drag

Fiona Apple

​Fergies era was more successful than Gwens within that time period. Gwen has always sort of been an underdog in pop music imo. Like yeah Love Angel Music Baby was well liked and successful, but it was never as big as it could have or should have been. But I attribute that to the fact that Gwen was electro-pop in an era 100% dominated by cheap urban/hip-hop music.

And you can't compare her era to Lady Gaga or Katy Perrys because back then people weren't as ****ing obsessed with pop stars as they are now. The legions of little gay stan boys that obsess over female pop stars has never been as aggressive as these last few years upon Gaga/Katy's rise to dominance. Even when Katy first came out it wasn't that deep.

​That couldn't be more wrong tbh.

blacklistedd

​That couldn't be more wrong tbh.

​You were 7 years old when the Dutchess came out and 5 when Gwen came out with her solo record. Believe me little kid, I lived it. You're basing every wrong opinion you're expressing on assumption and trying to tell me, someone who actually bought Gwens record when it was released because I was old enough to be able to go to the store and buy it myself, how it is. Don't get yourself twisted.

Fiona Apple

​You were 7 years old when the Dutchess came out and 5 when Gwen came out with her solo record. Believe me little kid, I lived it. You're basing every wrong opinion you're expressing on assumption and trying to tell me, someone who actually bought Gwens record when it was released because I was old enough to be able to go to the store and buy it myself, how it is. Don't get yourself twisted.

​Lol I can totally explain my opinion and prove how wrong you are.I just don't think you deserve my time when the only thing you can talk about is my age.. :awkney:I don't know how old you are but your brain is really immature  :applause:

Archived