💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Did the hipster movement hurt Gaga?

Dorothy Gale

Featured Posts

Dorothy Gale

Many hipster I know listen to Lana and Lorde, and deem them indie artists. :awkney: 

I think Gaga became increasingly less mainstream, but the hipster types wrote her off as a manufactured popstar, and avoided her like the plague, while supporting other artists that they think will make them seem cool. On the other end, Gaga lost people in the GP who want basic pop music because she became more experimental and theatrical than they wanted. Do you agree? 

Michael

Usually 'hipsters' who listen to Lana Del Rey or Lorde are just homos-xual teenagers who think that it means they are hipsters.

Vernier

But Katy had a good era and Meghan Trainor is doing well and it doesn't get anymore basic than those two, so?

dwsIPd1.gif

Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn

Melech

Well, I think charts involve by time. Gaga had extremely luck that back in time EDM became really popular. Now indie etc got popular (at least in my country) and gaga didn't do indie, but stayed in pop. I guess that's why she was less successful here. 

Dorothy Gale

No.... And Lana and Lorde aren't even indie. :toofunny:  

Ikr! But a lot of people I know think of them like that...

RainingOnMe

Ikr! But a lot of people I know think of them like that...

​That's really weird

They're signed to major labels, I guess their sound? But it's classy :music:  

Judas Oyster

Yes I could I agree somehow. But I wanted to say that it was long time ago since I've seen the Britney emoticon, such fun <3

1blueshe

Usually 'hipsters' who listen to Lana Del Rey or Lorde are just homos-xual teenagers who think that it means they are hipsters.

Be careful don't slip on that T you spilled :tea:  ​:air:

JazzGa

I don't think so. I feel like the hipster movement rose and fell on about the exact same timeline as Gaga.

I also agree with the user who said that Lana and Lorde listeners are not hipsters, just kids still finding their style or wannabes who are hopping on the indie train with a sure thing way too late. 

I think the normcore/basic pride movement is a big threat to Gaga, since it's all about blending in and she is about the opposite to that. Hopefully it doesn't become the next big thing because if so I won't be cool anymore :laughga:

God created Adam and Eve, but Gọdga collabed with Brian🎺 and Steve🎷

blacklistedd

Big picture wise the commercial idea of what a hipster is hurt her to some degree yes, because Gaga doesn't fit into that demographic even when shes not making The Fame-type music. Shes just not that type of girl or that type of artist. That being said, this supposed "hipster" movement is all nonsense. What you're referring to as hipsters are just young teenagers with no style and no identity listening to Lana and wearing floral patterned shirts and think that makes them subversive or in fashion somehow. When I was in high school it was scene/emo. Also, this "hipster" movement you speak of has been going on since before Gaga got big in the u.s. and doesn't really have too many limits though. You can listen to Taylor Swift and consider yourself a hipster. But hipsters aren't even what you think they are. I think of rich white people in their 20-30s that live in Echo Park and Silverlake and gentrify the hood areas nearby and set up overpriced cafes and whole foods in town and listen to "obscure" bands. Come to think of it, she was in with the crowd back in the day. It was Born This Way that tore it all down.

Dorothy Gale

But Katy had a good era and Meghan Trainor is doing well and it doesn't get anymore basic than those two, so?

dwsIPd1.gif

Exactly! Gaga is not basic enough for the GP, and too mainstream for hipsters.

ARTPOPchamp

Hipster used to mean rebel, but there is nothing rebellious about a lot of Lana or Lorde fans, hipsters have become the new trendoids, clinging to the next thing they think will be big, they think Lana and Lorde will become hugely successful (insert laugh)... the definition of hipster has changed. GaGa is much more rebellious, which a lot of Monsters used to be. GaGa is a rebel, Monsters, for the most part, are rebels as well. GaGa goes against the norm, that's what a rebel is. I actually feel a lot of people followed the trend (the hipsters) of bashing GaGa and writing her off, but the real rebels, the real Monsters, have stuck by her through it all. PAWS UP TO YOU IF YOU'RE STILL STANDING BY GAGA LIKE ME!! :monsterpaw::kisses:

Computer

This.

I ran out of likes.

💚💛💕❣⭕💢💢 | ⓜⓔⓡⓡⓨ ©ⓗⓡⓘⓢⓣⓜⓐⓢ

Archived